SuperCrew

I ordered a clarion sub last night... Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a clarion sub last night... Anyone else?

I ordered a Clarion sub last night for my SCrew
I ordered the clarion tranny hump sub that mounts in front of the seat. I got it for $155 plus I went for the speedy shipping ($25) so 180 total for a powered 8" sub, wiring harness so I don't have to do any splicing and I get to keep my factory HU that I kinda like...

I was lurking on the L forum and a lot of the guys got one and really like them.. i was going to get a subbox.net for the rear seat but that would mean swapping out the HU, adding amps, running wires, and all the other stuff that needs to be done for a proper install...

Here's a link to the sub I got, anyone else put one of these in their SCrew? It's listed/tested for a 2000 Supercab not a 2002 SCrew so I may need to do a little trimming on the box for the cupholder but hey, I now will have a little more bass and a little junk tray that I have been missing..

Let's hear it! Anyone else got one of these in a SCrew?

Chris (ReelWork)

Here's the link from Crutchfield for the sub... Looks really clean and the price is right-on!

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&I=020FF150LG

Old 09-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Got mine...

I hooked mine up last night and was thump'n to eminem show this morning on the way into work. I have not mounted it yet cause I got to trim just a bit...I'm going to look into taking an 8th or so inches of the bottom...there is a little plastic ridge that is on the bottom that looks like it can be trimmed of without any visual signs of trimming. If not I will take just a hair off the edge under the cup holder. I also ordered Infinity Kappa 572.5's but have not installed those yet...prolly do that tonight. The sub is great...nice thump and the rear view mirror even does a little dance.

Old 09-06-2002, 09:36 AM
Now that they have come down in price I want one. In the description it states that the harness can not be used with factory premium sound systems. Please tell me how the install goes. Do you have the 6 disk changer or the single in-dash?

Thanks,

Willderness

Old 09-06-2002, 09:44 AM
re:

I have the single CD unit... I'm not exactly sure what consistutes the "premium" sound. I know that Stangs and such get the Mach systems which is a premium but.... don't really know? Mine is not a premie though, I can just about guarantee that!

So Dale, I was reading and did you try raising the front of that thing? Apparently, you can raise the front of it (where the leveling feet are) and that should lower the dash side enough to allow for the cupholder. Do you have any pics? My unit should be here Sat. sometime and I'll be sure to post up some pics and post a follow up on what I think. I had a 8 inch bazooka in my Bronco that would punch pretty well with the right music..

Anyone interested in an 8 inch bazooka? $50... and I'll throw in an amp for $40. No, it's not a Jensen either... It's a Mosfet powered amp that I can't remember the name of. I also have a Pioneer Bridegable Amp I'll sell for $60. This is a good deal for all of these things and all are in good shape.

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 09-06-2002, 11:03 AM
I have Premium sound..

I have Premium sound and 6-disc changer in the center console...The harness adapter they send you (FREE) says it will work with Premium and regular (?) unit. Mine hooked up with no problem. The Premium sound is standard on the Lariat (I think)...it has the RDS and internal 80 watt amp.

Lifting the front of the sub is needed to get a tight fit to the dash because of the 4x4 hump...but the cup holder still bumps maybe 1/8 to less the 1/4 inch at the lowest part of the holder. You may be able to raise more to get clearance for the cupholder but I don't think you will get the dash fit you are looking for.

I don't have pics...I can take some if you like.

--------------
2002 F150 Supercrew Lariat FX4...True Blue.

Old 09-06-2002, 11:11 AM
Question Dale, So....

Taking a 1/4 off the base is probably the best bet for proper and cosmetic fit huh? I can't wait to get mine in.

So, you like it pretty well already?

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 09-06-2002, 11:28 AM
still waiting to hear about color match in tan

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Question That sucks...

You haven't had any luck or responses? What is the problem again? Just whether or not the color matches well?

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 09-06-2002, 11:45 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 SuperCREW 4x2 with captains chairs and a center console. Has anyone installed this with that configuration. I also have the "premium" system or whatever Ford wants to call it. Tape in dash and 6 disk changer in center console. Also, for those that have is it worth it?

Any help would be great. Thinking about ordering one this afternoon.

Will

Old 09-06-2002, 12:50 PM
I too would like an opinion on the color match in tan and some pictures of the fitment in a supercrew with front buckets and the center console with cup holders. Anyone take pics yet? Also, does it attach anywhere or just rely on gravity and friction to stay in place?

Last edited by dufunnel; 09-06-2002 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:27 PM
Why I chose...

I went with the Clarion because I wanted more bass but not "noise polluting wake the neighbors thumpin down the street bass". I also did not want to give up ability to fold down rear seat. I have Captains with center console and the space between the console and dash is unused in my case...I've thought about putting in an expy console just to be able to utilize the space...and then I saw the clarion sub post on the lightning page...sounded perfect for what i'm looking for. In my case, there is a fit problem with the 02 4x4 screw, but I'm sure I can solve that with slight trim job. The bass produced is exactly what I'm looking for...I have it hooked up for test but it is not mounted yet...I'm going to go with the "zip tie to the vent braces" install...read the thread in the lightning forum for details on this. I have graphite interior so I got the lt. gray. The color matches the dash very well but is slightly darker than the console...also the texture is slightly different than the dash texture finish...but in my opinion it is just fine. I am currently experiencing some FM radio interfernce with it, but I dont have it grounded Yet...so I'm thinking that is why. CD's sound fantastic...check out the eminem show. I don't know if an 01 4x2 will have the same fit problem as I have with the 02 4x4...I guess it would depended on the transmission hump. I will take some pic tonight and post.

Old 09-06-2002, 02:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anybody have the tan one? Like dufunnel, I'm very interested in seeing/hearing how it matches.

RP

Old 09-06-2002, 02:25 PM
dlf
I have the gray box..........

............ don't have the tan, but for those interested in the lt. gray, it IS a little darker than the dash etc., but matched well with the darker gray inserts on the door panels. So it looks stock to me. I cut out 2 small pieces of wood, and drilled shallow 1/2" holes for the leveling legs to sit in, and raised the front edge an extra 1/4" to 3/8". I used the zipties to mount it, it sits flush against the dash, it does restict the cupholder, but with the 2 holders in the floor console (I have the Bucket seats), I don't use it or need it. Anyway I think the dash cupholder is the ugliest thing made.......... I hated the cheap looks of it since day one. Anyway, I am sure the tan match will be okay, I like the gray box... it thumps enough, I may even have to adjust the gain for LESS bass, since I am not used to the extra thump yet..........

DLF

Old 09-06-2002, 02:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: I have the gray box..........

Originally posted by dlf
...I cut out 2 small pieces of wood, and drilled shallow 1/2" holes for the leveling legs to sit in, and raised the front edge an extra 1/4" to 3/8". I used the zipties to mount it, it sits flush against the dash...
Question for you dlf:

All of the aforementioned steps that you took to mount it... were those simply to 'level it out' or did you have other motives? The reason I ask, I have a 4X2 01 SCREW as well... just trying to figure out how this thing will sit.

Do you have any pics of this install?

Thanks.

RP

Old 09-06-2002, 02:58 PM
Well, since it was cheap enough and I got free shipping and an additional $20 off at Crutchfield, I went ahead and bought it. However, I am adding it to two existing twelves already in my truck, so we shall see what it adds to that and how it sounds alone. I am taking a chance on it fitting properly and matching correctly. If it doesn't match, I will just paint it with my matching interior paint. So, if it doesn't fit for some reason or provide me with the kind of additional bass I want, I will be putting it up for sale in the classifieds soon.

Will let you know how it does.

Quick Reply: I ordered a clarion sub last night... Anyone else?