SuperCrew

Truxedo Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truxedo Tonneau Cover

I've surfed the WEB and read what I could find on Access Roll-up covers, Lite-rider Roll-up Covers, and Truxedo Roll-up covers. Truxedo seems to have all the features of the Access for less money. They all seem to be pretty good covers. I found a Truxedo Roll-up for $359.99 with free shipping which seems to be a great price, and will fit the Screw. Are any of you out there using the Truxedo cover or know much about them. That's a hard price to pass up.

Thanks

Mtn Mike

Old 08-27-2002, 10:16 AM
MtnMike, I'll be honest, I didn't really research the different covers when I ended up with my Truxedo. It was more or less a package deal with the truck and I went along for the ride.

I've had the truck and the cover for about 2 months now and must say that I really like the Truxedo cover. It has more than surpassed my needs and expectations. Everything seems well built and the fit and finish of the product is very good. I like the velcro sides and they hold in place very well. The locking mechanism is nice to help protect my gear when camping/fishing etc. Once you lock the tailgate, intruders cannot open the cover without slicing the top. I recently saw an Access cover on another truck. It looked like a good cover, but if the Truxedo is cheaper, I don't see a huge difference.

I read a while back that someone used kevlar or something similar to put underneath the fabric to add additonal protection from intruders. It kind of provides an additional layer of protection from someone slitting the material to gain entry. I might try this in the future, since I go fly fishing in areas that tend to have problems with break ins, etc.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:40 AM
The is quite a bit of info about the TruXedo vs Access Cover here already.

I bought the TruXedo instead of the Access Cover. The decision was based partly on price difference and availability. In my opinion, the Access Cover does look a bit cleaner with the slanted rear, as opposed to the bar on the TruXedo. They both serve the same purpose and function so the TruXedo seems to be a better deal considering that they cost about $100.00 less.

I think they have different adjusting mechanisms though. The TruXedo has a bar at the front of the box that has to be pushed forward and then clamped, whereas the Access Cover can be adjusted for tightness with the cover closed.

I've had mine for a year now and it looks great and functions just as well as the day I installed it. The Access Cover is a slightly better cover, but the TruXedo serves its purpose very well, at a reasonable price.

Old 08-27-2002, 01:05 PM
Thanks

Hey thanks to both of you!! AJ I read the previous posts and have made up my mind. I will be ordering the TRUXEDO. I plan on installing it myself. From what I read the install appears to be pretty simple and trouble free. Was that your experience?

I had an Extang Black Max on my 2001 SCrew and did not like it. Even though it would have fit the 2003 SCrew I have on order; the Extang went with the 2001 SCrew when I sold it. I did not like the look of the Extang as the three support rails bowed up above the bed. Water and dust had no problem finding their way into the bed! The snaps were a pain in the butt!! As a matter of fact the material around one of the snaps tore loose after approx 22 months of use. At high speeds, in warm weather, the cover would loosen and one or two of the "support rails" would invariably fall off into the bed. During cold weather the cover was so tight that when I removed it to use the bed; that I had to fight with it to stretch the cover to get it snapped down.

Anyway I have a great price on the Truxedo. I had found it for $359.99 at COVERS4LESS with free shipping. At another website "Tonneau Covers ETC" theirs was $392.40; however they gauranteed to match a lower price if there was one out there. I Emailed them about Covers4less' price and not only did they match it but knocked off an additional ten dollars and threw in two "Bed Bugs" a $19.95 value!! So through Tonneau Covers ETC I am getting the cover for $349.00 delivered plus the freebee Bed Bugs!!

Needless to say they have my business. Now I just have to decide on what color. My 2003 SCrew has been delivered and I will pick it up Monday 09/02. It is the new Burgundy metallic clearcoat with metallic Dark Shadow Gray two tone. I need to decide on either the Burgundy or Charcoal Gray Truxedo cover. I am leaning toward the Charcoal Gray.

Thanks

Mtn Mike

Last edited by Mtnmike; 08-27-2002 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Truxedo Tonneau Cover