SuperCrew

SCrew Doesn't Like to be Left Alone

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SCrew Doesn't Like to be Left Alone

I know you guys can't mechanically diagnose a truck over the Internet, but perhaps this has happened to someone else.

I went on vacation for about two weeks (Wife, 2 kids, dog.. we had to go in the van... a Chevy... sorry) and I parked the 2001 5.4 SCrew in the garage.

We came back two weeks later and I tried to start it but it just cranked and cranked and cranked and would not start. It was NOT a battery issue, it would turn over, it just wouldn't start.

It got to the point where I called in for towing 'cause it is still under warranty. As I was waiting for the tow, I tried one more time. It finally started catching, and after 3 - 4 more tries, it started, ran really rough for about 10 - 30 seconds, and has ran fine ever since.

Now, the dealer would be more than happy to simulate the problem but I really don't want to lose my truck for a week or two while they simulate the problem. But, I have ~25k and also don't want to have some kind of lurking problem when the warranty is out.

Besides perhaps the SCrew being jealous and miffed that I drove that Chevy, does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be?

Rob

Old 08-21-2002, 01:25 PM
The symptoms you describe sounds like a "no-fuel" condition.

The delivery fuel in the injector rails may be bleeding back to the tank or you may have a stuck fuel pressure regulator. My best guess would be the pressure regulator. If so, you may have a difficult time replicating the problem...the regulator may never do it again.

If it does:
With engine off, keys in pocket...unscrew the small green cap off of the passenger side fuel rail. The cap has a flat boss to grasp with your fingers. You may need a pair of pliers to loosen it. "Slowly" pull the cap off as there is a small rubber disc that is used as a cap sealer...it may fall down through the intake manifold runner. Sometimes these discs get stuck in the cap, sometimes in the top of the schrader valve. Just look at the schrader valve or cap and see if the rubber disc is inside either one.

With a few rags surrounding the schrader valve, depress the pin inside the schrader valve (like a tire valve). If fuel squirts out then you can rule out a fuel problem.

Old 08-24-2002, 07:44 PM
This isn't going to be much help to you, but I had a similar problem once. The Screw sat for a week in the garage and when I cranked it, it ran really rough for 30 seconds or so. It did crank right up (didn't have to crank over and over like you did). It hasn't happened since.

Let us know if you figure it out.

Old 08-24-2002, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the truck is just pissed off and is showing you how it feels.

RP

Quick Reply: SCrew Doesn't Like to be Left Alone