SuperCrew

Getting wax off of plastic

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting wax off of plastic

I waxed my truck this weekend and got some on the plastic below the windows and a few other spots. It is discolored now and water just dosen't seem to do the trick.

Any suggestions to clean up and shine up the plastic down there?

Old 08-19-2002, 12:48 PM
Use Armor All on the plastic trim after waxing. May have to rub a little.

On a side note, try Zyno. It does not mess up the plastic trim like conventional waxes do.
Chris

Old 08-19-2002, 02:07 PM
I had the same problem with wax and trim. I applied 303 Aerospace to the trim and it seems to have done the trick. If 303 just covers up the wax or actually removes it I do not know, but it'll also stop the trim from fading if used properly.

303 can be purchased at most boating supply stores (Boaters World, West Marine, etc.). I paid $18 for 32 oz. An internet retailer wanted $24 for 32 oz. For once, Boaters World was actually cheaper.

Old 08-19-2002, 02:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My first suggestion is DO NOT use armor all despite the other suggestion.

First, armor all is a corrosive material and certainly won't be good when it rains and runs down your paint. Secondly, both of the products mentioned will only mask the problem and not actually remove it.

There has been all kinds of talk about this problem (I too have wax on my trim) on the GENERAL CARE section in the BODY forum. Everything from Peanut Butter (which some swear by) to Meguiars trim detailer have been discussed. I think the best way to resolve your problem is to not get wax on the trim. I know, it sounds stupid but, I haven't figured out a way to get it out and off.

The problem is that the trim (especially that below the windows) is a porus rubber compound and the wax molecules are obviously smaller than the rubber pore space thus, the wax gets down in there. Removing it is just short of a miracle from god himself.

Peanut butter and a toothbrush work pretty well at masking the problem but, plan on reapplying after a couple of washes...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, after SEVERAL UNSUCCESSFUL TRIES with ALL KINDS OF PRODUCTS (back to black (the worst product ever invented), Meguiars Trim Detailer, Peanut Butter, car wash concentrate, Dawn, (shall I go on?) (I literally have bought a BOX of stuff just to remove the wax from the trim), I still have wax on my trim.

One thought--don't use anything that's corrosive or that contains a large percentage of alcohol. The alcohol will deteorate the rubber moldings and the corrosive will do what I mentioned earlier.

Just a tip.... when waxxing, use a piece of cardboard at the edge of that trim. Hold the cardboard in one hand while working the wax up to the edge of the cardboard. That way, if you go over, the cardboard catches the wax and not the trim. Sure, it's a pain in the butt but, trust me, it works. I don't get wax on my trim anymore. (Thanks to someone on one of the Ford boards for that tip... not sure who you are but, it works DAMN good).

The only sure fire way that I know of to get them looking good again is replace them -- which wouldn't be cheap.

Ford goofed by putting those on there. My local wax shop (specifically a car detail/Meguiars Mirror Glaze shop (among various other car care products) has looked at the trim on my truck numerous times and given me several free 'attempts' to remove the wax. I'd trust these guys with anything that I have that's painted and, guess what, they can't figure out how to remove it safely.

I've actually heard of folks (user dufunnel specifically) buying the BLACKWOODS window trim (which is chrome) so that he could get rid of the rubber ones on his truck. And by the way, it looks pretty damn good.

I've given up on it and determined it to be a lost cause.

Good Luck.

RP

Old 08-19-2002, 02:52 PM
RP ... tried to go through you novel there and did not see any mention of Rubbing alcohol ... I have been on different detailer web sites and they all say to use rubbing alcohol. I have not tried it ... but i had a detailer come out about a month ago and of course I need to try it. Maybe i will find time to by the end of the week.

defunnels truck does look good but there is still a lot of rubber to get wax off of if you make a mistake.

Old 08-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Actually he did mention alcohol, and not to use it. But that may be something I may want to try. This wax thing sucks I would have been more carefull if I knew that it would be this much of a problem.

I most likley will try the alcohol and then use the Meguiars Trim Detailer. If that still dosen't work then I guess time will have to work on it. Unfortunatly in San Diego rain is seen about as often as an empty freeway.

Old 08-19-2002, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealer uses Acrisol (sp?), I'll try to get more information, I got wax on my trim and he removed it for me, seems to have taken pretty good, paint may fall off, but he did it.......

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-2002, 03:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Simle Green works really good. Actually removes the was and leaves no damage. I use it to remove the was and then go back over it with Eagle One wipe & shine. Works really good.

Old 08-19-2002, 05:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
One thought--don't use anything that's corrosive or that contains a large percentage of alcohol. The alcohol will deteorate the rubber moldings and the corrosive will do what I mentioned earlier.
I guess that last post was kind of long winded... sorry.

I haven't tried the simple green however, I've heard mixed stories on it... guess that's my next item for the box.

The alcohol trick might work if it's dilute but, I wouldn't use straight rubbing alcohol as the volitile properties will cause the volitiles in the rubber to break down, in short, causing the rubber to deterorate.

I don't know this to be fact but, it's certainly something that makes sense to me after seeing some manufacturing in action with some of my clients that use alcohol and rubber. In fact, one place (a place that makes throttle bodies for the Toyota Camary) uses the alcohol to actually aide in melting a rubber seal inside the body itself.

That's what turned me off from alcohol.... *shrugs*

RP

--see, I can respond without a novel. HAHAHA!

Old 08-20-2002, 01:20 AM
Lightbulb two words

peanut butter

Run a search
Its been discussed many times before. Just warm up a small amount in the microwave and watch it disappear.

Old 08-20-2002, 07:38 AM
To prevent this problem in the future, just mask off all the black plastic with blue painter's masking tape. I mask off one side, wax that side, then transfer the tape to the other side.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:53 AM
peanut butter works great. Used it on my truck last month when I got some on the plastic and it took it right off.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:32 PM
The wax looks bad because it is only on the edges and discolors the rubber/plastic in an irregular fashion. I recommend applying liberal amounts of wax on all rubber parts (including the tires) that way it is all a uniform grey.

Disclaimer: the previous was a joke, I do not endorse or recommend applying wax to anything but painted surfaces. I personally like the masking tape idea.

Old 08-22-2002, 02:51 PM
A little Gasoline on a rag should do the trick!

Unless you want to nuke some Peanut Butter!

Old 08-22-2002, 07:57 PM
I am going to try some simple green and maybe some 409. They may work well as they are degreasers. Who knows never know until you try?

The penut butter might add a nice shine to the rubber when your done from all of the oils...

Quick Reply: Getting wax off of plastic