SuperCrew

Towing with New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with New Truck

As some of you may know, I purchased a new F-150 4X4 Supercrew 5.4 FX4 with the tow package, 3.55LS and all that good stuff.. I have just about 1300 miles on her now and I am looking at towing a 19 foot ridgid framed camper to Garner this weekend with the wife for some floatin and drinkin.

One of my concerns is that I just want to make sure I'm not towing too early. Additionally, should I maybe change the oil - i.e. do the engines that come from the factory today come with a "break-in" type of oil (some used to) and should I or do I need to just go ahead and get it flushed with regular oil if this is still the case?

Or, should I just not worry about it and assume all is Ok. If I had already changed the oil and if I had a few thousand miles on her already, I wouldn't worry about it but, she is new and I don't want to accidentally do something stupid in the long run, if you know what I mean.. Man, what a run-on sentence!

Thanks in advance for the inputs!

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 08-22-2002, 05:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, maybe this will help a little...I have always been told to break a car/engine in the way you want it to run and to use it for it's intended purpose from day one. When I bought my '91 Mustand GT brand new, I left dealership sideways and drove it like I stole it from then on. Needless to say that thing is still running strong and is now a weekend road race car with the original bottom end of the engine still in it. I don't think they use any different oil any more either but don't know for sure. I would definately not worry about it and I certainly would not drive it any different because it's new. Just my opinion and I have never had a problem.

BTW, what is that fog light mod in your signature there??

Old 08-22-2002, 06:21 PM
Cool Galaxy... Fog Light.

The fog light mod is where you can run the fog light with the parking lights on and then I added 9005's headlight bulbs to it that are a LOT brighter...

If you do a search on fog light or go to the SVTlightning.com (?) webpage and look at the mod page, it shows it there.

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 08-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks Guys...

I appreciate your inputs.. I don't think I was going to cancel the trip but I just wanted to make sure!

Thanks Again,

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 08-22-2002, 10:11 PM
I think they recommend about 500 miles. Mine had about 3000 on it before I towed. We towed with my previous f150 (98 supercab)
when it only had about 800 on it. I don't think they use any different oil and I would change it after you are done towing.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:31 PM
I pull a 26ft travel trailer(about 5000 lbs) and have done so for vacations and weekend trips since about the 1000 mile mark. To date I have seen no ill effects at all and have 13,000 miles on it.
You should have no problem, it's an F150!!!!!
Great lookin' truck.

Old 08-22-2002, 11:14 PM
I bought my 02 Screw(5.4L 4x4) back in May. I bought it on a Wednesday and on Friday, with 200 miles on it, I hitched up my 3000Lb camper and headed for the mountains for Memorial Day weekend. The Screw did fine...I took it nice and easy ..... didn't push it ... stayed below 65MPh most of the trip....and only towed 80 miles each way. I didn't even know the trailer was back there most of the time. I considered waiting for a week or two to run up some "break in" miles, but I figured one of the main reasons I bought her was for the towing ability and I wasn't pushing the towing limit of the truck. 4300 miles, 2 camping trips, and 1 oil change later all is well with the Screw. No complaints. My opinion is enjoy your truck. With over 1000 miles I wouldn't think twice about hitching up and heading for the mountains. Get the oil changed before you go, just for peace of mind. I had mine changed at about 2000 before my second towing trip.

Have a great trip!

Quick Reply: Towing with New Truck