SuperCrew

Broken transmission (xsmsn) support weld

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Broken transmission (xsmsn) support weld

I had read about this a while back and believe some were confused about the description used (xsmsn I think it was).

Any way I discovered this over the weekend while under the truck working on my drop. I have had the truck in for clanking/clunking several times most recently 2 weeks ago and two different dealers failed to find the broken weld. Will have to take it back in again - just out of warranty by about 450 miles.

Here is a pic of the break.

Last edited by HiOSilver'01; 08-23-2002 at 11:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:18 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So, could this be/is this the cause of the infamous front end thunk?

RP

Old 08-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Question

What type of noise/clunk do you have? I have a noise when I leave from a dead stop and floor it, it sounds like the transfer case is hitting the floor beneath me. Is this the same noise? Thanks---Paul

Old 08-13-2002, 09:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paul, I believe so however, my thunk occurs when I'm coming to a stop sometimes as well... it's typically the take off though.

RP

Old 08-13-2002, 11:37 PM
What type of noise/clunk do you have? I have a noise when I leave from a dead stop and floor it, it sounds like the transfer case is hitting the floor beneath me. Is this the same noise? Thanks---Paul
Paul & RP,

I have a 4X2 SCrew so your noise may be something different, but the noise I have occurs at approx. 15mph after you let off and coast a little such as you would in bumper to bumper traffic and then accelerate again. Also happens when kicking down to accelerate sometimes and when coming to a stop when the trans down shifts. My trans has been replaced once under warranty last year and also recently had the drive shaft splines packed with grease for clunk but it still does it. I'm hoping the support is the cause. I will post results after I have it
fixed.

I also have another clunk or bad shutter when coming to a stop after releasing hard pressure on the brake pedal that I didn't have before the last
service when the splines were packed and the driver's side rear axle seal and
trans output seal were replaced for leaks. Only seems to happen after the
truck has been driven 30 min or so and heats up. Took it back in a week later and the service advisor tried to blame the noise on a emergency light I
had stored behind the rear seat rolling
around (took it out and went for a ride with him and pointed out the noise and he still wanted to blame the light)

Old 08-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Superbeast54
No! I just looked under my '01 Screw... that doesn't look like a broken weld to me. There is a rubber piece that actually fastens the transmission to the support. No metal to metal contact intended there.

I did have the same symptoms you describe though - loud banging under the truck during extreme acceleration. The Tranny was actually pounding the bottom of the floor pan. It really had my shop scratching their heads.

You don't want to know how they fix it - ok, they use a sledge and a grinder to "re fashion" the floor pan supports. Not pretty but it eliminated my noise.

Old 08-16-2002, 03:35 PM
HiOSilver'01,

I have a 4x4 SuperCrew and have the same exact symptoms that you have. The clunk only occurs when I am slowing down to around 15mph and then accelerate again. The service dept. at the dealer has no clue what is going on. Now they are starting to throw parts at it.

Did you get this broken weld fixed yet? If so did your clunking stop?

db_9

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2002, 12:07 AM
db_9

No, I haven't had it fixed yet. After reading kkirt1's reply I need to take another closer look at it - in any event if the support is rubber it still looks to be separated and probably not doing its job.

HiO

Old 08-17-2002, 09:45 PM
Question

kkirt1 was right about the trans support being rubber. Looked at it this morning while the truck was on a lift and there is a strap that runs under the rubber piece (looks rusty in my photo) and bolts to the trans.

So, does anyone know where that weld is located that I saw mentioned in an older posting?

HiO

Last edited by HiOSilver'01; 08-17-2002 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Broken transmission (xsmsn) support weld