SuperCrew

An Open Apology to Ford Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

I change my own oil too. I had a '99 and a '00 SCab with 5.4L and it seemed a little easier to change the filter than on my '01 S'Crew. I also crawl underneath and remove the filter without moving the steering off center and have been able to get old one off and new one on without wanting to break something, almost.

I'm not up for the remote filter as I think you create at least 8 new places to have an oil leak, one at each fitting thread and one at each hose connection and there must be two hoses.

As for quicky oil change places, never again unless my life depends on it. I only had my oil changed one time at a quicky lube joint and it was a disaster. At the time, I owned an '89 Chevy 4x4 pickup that I had purchased new and did all repairs myself. In '94, I was working like crazy for my employer then I had no time to do regular maintenance so I figured I give it a try since I was overdue on my oil change, big mistake.

After the oil change, I inspected the truck in the parking lot and noticed a drip. I called the manager and we looked and the oil drain plug was loose. The tech came out and tightened it correctly. Next, I noticed that none of my grease fittings had been lubed and so I mentioned that and the tech said these trucks don't have grease fittings and I said well, then what are those as I pointed to the grease fittings, he said oh. I had replaced the ball joints and tie rods with after market versions which did have grease fittings, they lubed them after that. After all that, I left somewhat disatisfied with their service and vowed never again. Now, the plot thickens...

Two weeks later, my brake pedal started getting soft and felt like the pedal was traveling too far for normal stops. A day or so later, the pedal was travelling even more for normal stops. I started to investigate and the brakes were failing to work and the pedal was going all the way to the floor. I removed the brake reservoir and noticed a greasy film on top of the fluid and knew right away that it wasn't normal. I took my truck to the dealer as I was still unable to find the time to work on it myself. The dealer calls back and tells me my entire brake system needs to be replaced as the fluid is contaminated and has damaged all the seals everywhere in the brake system and it will cost $1,100 to fix. I went ballistic and had the brake fluid anylized and found out that motor oil was in the brake fluid.

Next, I knew that since the motor oil fill is on top of the valve cover and is directly accross from the brake fluid reservoir, I put two and two together and figured out that the quicky lube joint made the mistake of leaving the brake fluid reservoir open and while removing the motor oil dispensing gun it dripped into my brake fluid and contaminated it that quick. The quicky lube joint denied all my efforts to get their insurance to help with my expenses and so I talked my auto insurance company, Allstate, into helping out with my situation. Since it wasn't my fault, Allstate reluctantly did help pay after I talked them into it by explaining that I avoided an accident by noticing the problem with my brakes. I told them I used to be a mechanic and knew there was a problem before it caused an accident, they agreed and paid 80% and I was pleased. Needless to say, ever since that experience, I'd never have my oil changed or any kind of work done on my vehicle from a quicky lube joint again.

Sorry for the long post but I had to explain the whole story and I felt that it would be helpful for folks to know what happens sometimes.

Hey BD,

Lighten up on the Engineers man, I think about service when I do mechanical design, I know what it's like to be on the greasy end of a wrench and some Engineers don't.

~DM~

Old 06-23-2002, 03:53 PM
Since I don't have access to a lift -- I've never even been able to find (see) the oil filter on my wife's '95 Windstar -- and there's no 'map' to it in the owner's manual.

After reading some posts somewhere on this web about the zerk fitting on the idler arm -- I got my trusty non-flex-hose grease gun and went a'huntin' the zerk.

Well, I was able to find the subject arm -- but decided that removing the brush guard was more than I wanted to do at that moment -- especially since I didn't think I could have used my grease gun on that fitting even if I could get to it.

So -- lemme get this straight: I have ONE darned zerk fitting -- and I need to spend an hour's labor to have someone excavate and lubricate it?!@?

Old 06-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually it is 2 fittings

On my 01 SCrew I have 2 under there, and both need the tight are adapter on my grease gun.

Why do you need to remove the brush guard ? Or is it the skid plate that is blocking access.

If it is, I doubt that the Ford dealer or a quick oil change place are doing all that work to grease them.

Might want to think how to get into the area with a tight area adapter on a grease gun. This is an adapter that only needs < 1/2" of clearance to attached to the fitting, not just a flex hose on a grease gun, with the standard end.

Old 06-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Changed mine for the first time a few weeks ago (that is, the first time I did it......second time for the truck). It's a 2002 ext. cab, 5.4L, FX4 pkg. Had the dealer do the first oil change because of prior posts here......something about gorillas not oiling the O-ring at the factory and tightening it until they're blue in the face. Almost psyched myself out from reading earlier horror stories, but it really wasn't that bad (and, after many years of changing my own, there was no other choice). Accessed the filter from underneath using an oil filter "cap" I had picked up from Pep Boys. Came off nicely. Only problem I had was getting the filter through the steering linkage to remove it from underneath. I had turned the wheels to the right (because that is what I thought I had read in other posts here). Great move, put the steering linkage right in the way of removing the filter. Couldn't start it up to turn the wheel (no oil), so there I was wailing away (so to speak) trying to turn the wheel to the left with no power. Only got the wheels to about the straight position when......thump......the sound of the filter slipping through the linkage (I had "rested" the filter on top of the linkage). A few minor contortions to get the new filter in, and done. Yep, it's a bit tight, and I should have looked at the situation from underneath after I turned the wheels (and before I drained the oil), but heck, if I can do it..........

Cheers
ernie

Old 06-25-2002, 12:32 AM
Daveman,
You've posted that story before and I think about whenever I'm tempted to go to a quick-lube place. It's a good deterrent, but I have to admit that the filter I was removing was installed by one of those places. (I was 900 miles from home and needed it changed before the drive home). There may be legitimate reasons for the filter placement, but from my point of view(underneath the truck with my arm contorted and oil leaking all over from the screwdriver jammed thru the filter) I don't know why it isn't more convenient.
As for engineers, no offense meant. Just venting.
BD

Old 06-25-2002, 06:42 AM
BD,

I think the Triton engine was probably designed the way it is for a reason, it's just unfortunate that not every model of truck ends up with the same access or room to the filter. I'd like to think if I were working on either the F150 or Triton Engine project and I had some say in where the filter would have ended up on the engine, I would've been pointing somewhere else other than where it resides today.

As for an apology, none's required 'cause I was just razzing you. As an Engineer, one has to have some tolerance for folks who don't understand the pressures from management to complete projects. I was a mechanic before I was an Engineer and so I've got training from both sides of the tracks and yes, I still say that some Engineers aught to be shot for some of the crap they design even though I'm in that line of work too.

Everyone,

I think that if you have the ability to change your own oil, then you should because it creates a bond between you and your vehicle. Also, it allows you the opportunity to better understand what's going on under the hood and to get involved with the inner workings of the machine that we all are so dependent on for getting from point A-B. If one has plenty of money or is just no able to do their own maintenance then that's okay too but just beware of the incompetence found lurking in the automotive service industry.

~DM~

Quick Reply: An Open Apology to Ford Engineering