SuperCrew

AIRAID info

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2001, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AIRAID info

I wanted to hear form anybody that has put the Airaid intake system on a '01 screw.

Was the performance increase noticable??
HOW---
speed?
better MPG?
acceleration?

Was the installation easy enough to do?

any pointers or warnings?

thanks

Mike

Old 10-20-2001, 08:14 AM
With my 5.4L, I was averaging 16.4mpg. (I am not a heavy-footed driver, but I let go now and again). After Airaid install last March, my mpg improved about 2-ish mpg. I have been extremely happy with this mod. The instructions that come with the package are poor, however. Better to go to sporttruck.com and go to the tech install section and get them there. They have step-by-step pictures, and it was nice to put together words and pics.
Install was easy and took me an hour, but I took my sweet time. You may end up cutting some of the length of your Idle Air tube.
Some have complained of the infamous "Airaid Whistle". On my ride, it sounded just like the sound made by blowing into a half-empty longneck. I did not notice this whistle until the summer weather came. I shot an email to the good folks at Airaid, and I was provided a free fix within seven days. I have been whistle-free ever since.
I added my Borla SI/DO in August, and I added another 1mpg to my tank. I now average 17.8 to 18.5mpg on my 5.4. No BS. I'm quite happy with the whole package.
I was concerned about dirt getting into the intake for awhile. Then I removed the filter in August, just to check the tube. There wasn't so much as a piece of pollen inside the tube. It was clean as a...........ummm..........."whistle".

Old 10-20-2001, 04:20 PM
Talking air aid........ thanks Sundog

Sundog..... thanks for the info I am awaiting delivery and I like what you said about the Airaid.

I looked at the directions on Sporttruck.com and they make it sound a bit complicated .....but other than the air sensors I do not see it beeing too bad.

any tips on the install????

Does anyone know if they have installed a fix for the "whistle" from the factory yet?

also what are some other ideas on the best kind of Cat-back system to get and why???

thanks

Mike

Old 10-21-2001, 08:55 AM
You won't have any problem installing it, even without directions. It's cake. Just be extremely careful in removing the sensors from your stock intake tube. You unplug the wires from the tube easily enough, but one you get the stock tube out so you can work on it on your bench, you must take care not to damage the sensor. That puppy is in there tight. I used a rocking, side to side motion while pulling. It eventually works free. Just take your time and pay attention.
The new Airaid's may have a fix already. They sent me an aluminum cylinder, about an inch long, that had a 3/8 hole in the center.........a restrictor! All I had to to was slide it into the Idle Air hose and reattach my hose to the Airaid tube. Write to the tech's at Airaid.com and ask if you don't see some sort of restrictor.
As for catback systems, your choices for a SYSTEM are Borla and Gibson. Neither will give you NOISE. They add a nice exhaust note and definately don't sound like stock, but if you're looking to nastiness, you'll have to settle for Flowmaster or Ravin. I'm pleased with the Borla. It's added a few ponies, I haven't lost any low end torque, I won't alert Smokey, and I know it'll sound the same for the life of my truck. And its complimented my intake mod wonderfully. Low restriction IN, Low restriction OUT. Happy S'Crew.
Install what YOU want, and have fun. Just do your homework first.

Old 10-21-2001, 01:48 PM
Hello MikeBkie...
I have had the AirRaid for about 9-10 momths.
As sundog7 states, install is easy.
The hardest part in my opinion was the removal of the MAF from the stock housing.

TIP: remove or unravel the plastic wire harness from the rubber boot. This will allow you to have more slack in removing the sensor.

Better performance across the board...
As far as whistle, I have the same problem in a bigger way?

Old 10-21-2001, 01:54 PM
Exhaust

Mikebike....
As far as the exhaust... I too hav ethe Borla cat Back.
single in dual out the back with Phantom tips.

Once again, very nice system. Not too loud not too soft. Just a mid throaty Borls Growl.

If I had my choice again, I would have liked to try the Bassini system?

Old 10-21-2001, 07:33 PM
So tell me what is the diffrence between the AIRAID and the K&N FIPK?

Is one better than the other or is it just a look/price thing?

Old 10-21-2001, 11:23 PM
It's look/price. The filters are the same construction. But the tubes are different. K&N is plastic; Airaid is aluminum. The aluminum looks really great, IMHO.

Old 10-21-2001, 11:43 PM
H13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With either the Airraid or the K&N, is a throttle spacer needed to help improve performance? Local salesman telling me I should add a throttle spacer, is he trying to rip me off or is it a good thing?

Old 10-22-2001, 03:14 PM
Talking whistle sound

the whistle sound anyone know if airaid is now providing the fix in there kits now.

Old 10-22-2001, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The whistle sound comes from using *any* airbox elimination kit in conjunction with any of the throttle body spacers. Just remove the spacer and the whistle will be gone, the spacer isn't doing much, if anything, for power anyway.

That will happen with any airbox eliminaiton kit and the throttle body spacer, it's not a particualr problem with the Airaid unit.

In terms of the difference between the K&N FIPK kit and the Airaid, either one gains the same power, 12 hp on a 4.6 or 14 hp on the 5.4 motor. Between those 2, I prefer the Airaid, as it has a more stable mount for the MAF (mass airflow meter), though that's not a huge deal.

The Air Force One kit does a better job than either the K&N or the Airaid, etc. and adds more power, 15 hp on the 4.6 and 18 hp on the 5.4. It uses a venturi generator to accelerate the airflow after the MAF, and also has it's filter unit much closer to the cold air inlet from the fender, so that you can actually re-use the factory boot and connect it directly to the cold air inlet. The Air Force One is also much better looking, made of aircraft quality T-304 stainless steel and also highly polished, it looks like a chrome mirror under the hood.

It's not often that the part that functions best (in this case, making bigger power gains) also just happens to look the best under the hood, we've found that happens very rarely. In this case, the guys at Air Force One kit a nice home run, with what we feel is the best function & looks.

Prior to the AF1 kit, we preferred the Airaid kit to the rest, and it's still a nice kit of course! If you have one I wouldn't change it. If you don't have a kit yet but are looking for one & trying to decide, then the Air Force One is worth a close look.

Good luck!

Old 10-22-2001, 11:47 PM
I disagree. I don't have a throttle body spacer. Never did. The whiistle didn't show up till the summer, either. This has nothing to do with venturi effect. It has everything to do with........according to Airaid.......Idle Air hose. Their fix completely cured the problem. Those contemplating purchasing an aftermarket throttle body spacer -- "Poweraid" I believe they're called -- should find that product best used as a cool looking paperweight. I have yet to hear of anyone who found it beneficial in any way.

Old 10-23-2001, 12:15 PM
Air Force One

Mike,

Where can I find an Air Force One Online? I would like to see one and what it looks like/costs.

Thanks,

Willderness

Old 10-23-2001, 03:12 PM
I purchased mine right here on the f150online store from Roger. It was the best price around and he has pictures of the K&N, Air Force 1 and Airaid. Just click on "Online Store" link on the top left.

I have had the K&N in the past and this time opted for the Air Force 1. I am very happy with it.

Enjoy!

Old 10-24-2001, 05:34 AM
If anyone lives in a hot climate,,You might want to search these and read up on the hot summer days of city driving and the effects of the hot air intake....before buying one..espically the metal ones which are open to the engine compartment heated air...

Quick Reply: AIRAID info