SuperCrew

Where do I adjust the parking Brake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I adjust the parking Brake?

Hi, I have a 2001 Supercrew and my parking brake doesn't seem to hold as well as it used to. The tranny parking pin seems to be doinmg most of the holding.

Truck has 4 wheel disc brakes, the rear has the parking brake shoes inside rotor hub. Is there a cable tension adjustment somewhere?

Last edited by MachineMan; 08-07-2004 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:08 AM
You should be able to adjust them from backing plate of the rear rotors, should have internal drum and shoes. adjust it like the old cars that have rear drums. Just make sure not to adjust too tight, you do not want then shoes to drag at all. I sthere anyone who agrees with me or disagrees, I could be wrong.

Old 08-13-2004, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure about the rear shoe thing. If there were any adjustment in the E-Brake, I would guess it would be located right under the front driver side door. On the bottom of the vehicle near the frame rail is an adjustment linkage for the e-brake cable.

Either that gets adjust or, the cable is adjusted when it comes through the vehicle floor pan. You will have to remove the door sill and kick panel and lift the carpet up a bit to get there.

Tony

Old 08-13-2004, 05:16 PM
You need to adjust the rear shoes like you would with drum brakes. That's because the e brake is a drum brake.

You have to remove the rear brake rotor/e brake drum to adjust.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Yep, There's a rubber plug which acceses the shoe cyclinder adjustment on the backing plate. I will try to adjust it this weekend and post a reply with the results. Will probably involve jacking up the tire and adjusting to figure out which how much and which way.. The teeth are wide so I can probaly use a flathead screwdriver rather then the old-school adjustment tool I used to use for my older rigs.

Old 08-14-2004, 11:38 AM
I just finished adjusting them. The right wheel was OK but the left was so loose that I could spin it with my hands with the parking brake on!!

Procedure:
1. Jack up 1 rear wheel on flat surface in Nuetral with brake off.
2. Try to spin wheel with hands. Only pay attention to about 2inches of rotation. After that you will also be spinning the driveshafts which will disguese the brake shoe friction.
3. Remove oval shaped rubber plug on lower backing plate.
4. Use screwdriver to spin adjutment wheel to tighten brake
- Spin upward for left wheel
- Spin ?? for right wheel
5. Pump parking brake a few times to center adjusted shoes.
6. Rotate wheel again checking to see if the shoes touch with the brake off.
7. Keep repeating until brake works but doesn't grab when off.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:41 PM
there is no adjustment on the parking brake! the star wheel is there like there is but theres no threads inside. i just had to do a complete brake job on my screw the parking brake liners separated from the shoes.the only way to adjust is to set the pedal harder.

Old 08-14-2004, 09:55 PM
I was able to adjusted mine from not working to working fine.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:51 AM
dmp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way Old thread - but...Anyone able to help me find the adjustment point on my 2002 Screw? I'm guessing it has to be behind the carpet/kick-panel plastic inside the cab...

Do I go hunting there? Or did I miss the adjustment place while under the truck looking?

Old 06-15-2005, 09:52 AM
Go back under truck behind rear wheel backing plates and look for a rubber plug covering an oval hole.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by 01f150supercrew
You should be able to adjust them from backing plate of the rear rotors, should have internal drum and shoes. adjust it like the old cars that have rear drums. Just make sure not to adjust too tight, you do not want then shoes to drag at all. I sthere anyone who agrees with me or disagrees, I could be wrong.

I agree, just went through redoing the brakes all the way around on my 01SCREW. The E-Brakes are like the old Drum brakes. Becareful the shoes cost more that a set of Disk pads. There are 2 one set on each wheel. They are not self adjusting and have to be manually adjusted. There is an access hole that most likley has a rubber grommet in it (mine did) to keep junk out. Access is from the back/bottom of the wheel. Take out the grommet and adjust away . Hope this helps

Last edited by Night Runner; 06-21-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM
cvdxsd

Old 04-23-2014, 06:46 PM
I just adjusted my parking/emergency brake using Machine Mans instructions on my 2002 F250, and now they work like new! They needed to be adjusted out about 8-10 clicks to get them to where they started dragging, so the pads must be pretty worn out. Thanks Machine!!

Quick Reply: Where do I adjust the parking Brake?