SuperCrew

My story

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My story

Well after waiting four months my truck finally arrived. With check in hand I caught a ride from work to my dealer who is 50 miles away. when I saw the truck it was everything I thought it would be and more. It was beautiful. The dealer gave me the keys and I began the ritual of checking the interior, exterior, undercarriage and engine. It was dark but I came prepared with a flashlight. Everything looked good. I decided to look at the roof one last time from the passengers side step. That's when I saw it. The roof just above the rear glass had about a 2 foot area that had been scraped and dented, evidently from the car hauler. I'm sure there's no need to say how I felt. It's substantial damage.
The dealer told me he had only looked at the truck from the side and had not seen the damage. I believe him. You did have to be above it to see the damage. He caught a detailer as he was leaving and wanted to know why he hadn't let him know about this, of course he said he hadn't
seen it.
The dealer told me to take a few days and think about what I wanted to do. He gave me a loaner so I could get home and would give me a call when the truck was fixed so I could look at it. I've paid nothing down and have not signed any papers. I also had the truck price on the x-plan.
I've almost convinced myself that we pay way to much money for any vehicle or should I say target. That within a year it's nothing special anyway, and that I should buy something cheap that would meet my needs.
What should I do? I'm not paying for a new truck that has had this kind of damage. Who knows what kind of problems you could have rust, leaks, headliner sagging.
I plan on driving back to the dealership Sunday so I can check out what he has on his lot in peace.
I would prefer not to order another truck as I need something soon. Other dealers around here are crooks and will not give you a fair deal.
Any suggestions?

Old 12-01-2000, 11:02 PM
Sorry I forgot.
Lariet 4x4, Arizona Beige, 6 cd, tow package, bed extender, 3.55ls, skidplates, slider rear window

[This message has been edited by cavecrew (edited 12-01-2000).]

Old 12-02-2000, 12:01 AM
Unhappy

Sorry about the problem. A few years back, my dad and I bought a Dodge from Dave Smith in Idaho. We flew one way to Spokane where they shuttled us to the dealership. As we inspected the truck there was a 4" scratch to bare metal next to the gas door. Apparently, one of the detailers filled the tank up just prior before we arrived there. The salesman was very sympathic and the detailer denied everything. The salesman knocked off $300.00 plus took care of the repair bill after we got it back to AK. I know mistakes happen, but it's too bad they don't sell Fords. Because I buy from them again.
Overall, I think the dealership should knock off a few bucks or something. Or atleast warranty the repair from future problems.
Good luck.

------------------
1999 F250 LD S/C XLT 4x4
5.4L, 3.73, 4R100 trans.
Flowmaster 40 "DF" series, K&N, Superchip, WMS Velocity Tube, Rancho RSX shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar, Stull billet grille, 2-PIAA Pro80XT's (120W), 2-KC Daylighters (150W), Clear Side Lens Mod w/ 9006 (55W bulbs). 265/70 R17 BFG AT KO's on 17x8 American Racing Atlas rims
Kenwood 7007 CD, Alpine 3342 Signal Processor, Alpine MRV-F353 5Ch. Amp, Pioneer TS-A6865 3-way speakers, MTX Thunderforms. CompuStar alarm/autostart. On the way: Performance Accessories 3" body lift, 33/12.5/17 ProComps, GSP grille guard and more KC's

[This message has been edited by Jupiterak (edited 12-02-2000).]

Old 12-02-2000, 07:54 PM
I know your pain! I had sold my truck out-right then drove to the dealer. I looked it over pretty good, noticed a few swirl marks and a few paint imperfections but about the usual on a black truck.

Drove it home and while walking up the steps to the house I looked back (couldn't keep from looking at it then still can't do it now ) and something caught my eye.

On the rear corner of the cab near the window was a quarter size dent!!! I drove directly back to the dealer. They apologized for not discovering it during prep and agreed to fix it. The shop fixed it pretty good. Although it is only warranted for 3/36 I am confident that if something goes wrong they WILL fix it

To make a long story a little shorter... Had I been trading I probably would have driven back up there and had them build me another.

Good luck!

------------------
Supercrew 4x4 Lariat
Solid Black
5.4 Triton
3.55 Limited Slip
6750# GVWR Package
Skid Plates
Moon Roof
Sliding Rear Window
Trailer Tow - Class III
Cargo Cage
Grey Leather Captains Chairs
6-Disc CD Changer

Mods:
305/70/16 ATS, AR Atlas 16x8
Chrome Westin Steps

Planned: Dual Exhaust, Toneau Cover and Expedition Console Mod.

Another great Ford truck site -www.fseries.com

Truck Pictures

Old 12-03-2000, 12:57 AM
cavecrew,

I only mention this because it could have happened and you never would have known.

When I graduated from college I became a car salesman for a short period of time. Our dealership had a large body shop and one of the things that they specialized in was repairing new cars that were damaged in transit as they passed through the Port of Wilmington.

As I learned, there are a great number of cars that get damaged in transit and the law states that if the damage involves only a specified number of body panels that the car is fixed, sold as new and the buyer never knows unless the repair is detectable.

If many body panels are involved as was the case of a Mazda RX-7 that I sold to a guy, the car has to be sold as a used car. Unfortunately, we didn't know that the RX-7 was in this state, sold it to the fellow and then while processing the title work realized that we really goofed.

We ended up backing this guy out of the deal and putting him in another car, but this RX-7 had thousands of dollars of body work done to it before it reached the dealer and you couldn't tell. It was even Black! The body work was flawless.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that had the dealer found the damage they could have legally repaired it and not told you. It still would be covered under factory warranty, but if you plan on owning this beyond 3/36 it is a hard decision to make.

I also don't know the supply out there but where I am, my dealer couldn't even do a trade for a vehicle anywhere close to mine and dealers have little to no SCrews on their lots.

I would be inclined to have them repair it, see if you are satisfied with the repair and then decide. I would still ask for a few bucks off also.

------------------
On Order 9/26/2000, serialized 11/16, Locked in to be built 12/5, ETA 12/25:

2001 Screw 4x4 XLT
Arizona Beige/Wedgewood Blue Tu-Tone
Captains Chairs w/Power Drivers Seat & Autolamp
6 Disc CD Changer
4.6L, 3.55 LSD, Moonroof
Cab Steps, 17" 10 Spoke Wheels
Skid Plates, Trailer Tow Group
Sliding Rear Window

Planned Mods:
ARE Z Series Cap
BedRug
Catch-all Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Hood Deflector (Painted to Match)

[This message has been edited by Wickman (edited 12-02-2000).]

Old 12-03-2000, 08:03 AM
I drove to the dealers yesterday and looked at what he had on lot. The only thing I saw that had any possabiity was a supercab. For the money I can't get anything close to the supercrew. I'm going to see how good a job they do fixing it and ask for some type of extended warranty against rust. I'll more than likely take the truck now that I'm getting over the trama.
Thanks for all the feedback. This site really helps everyone.

Old 12-03-2000, 09:40 AM
Don't accept it, & make em order you a new truck.

Old 12-03-2000, 09:40 AM
Don't accept it, & make em order you a new truck.

Old 12-03-2000, 11:10 AM
The truck will never meet your expectations...you'll see the imperfection every time you wash and wax it, and probably more. Order a new truck..you'll be glad you did.

I had the same situation in 1988, damaged rear quarter. Repaired by dealer, it rusted through in 4 years.

Old 12-03-2000, 07:25 PM
Keep the truck, cavecrew. You ordered it exactly like you want it.

You'd be surprised how many new cars and trucks -- Chevy, Ford, Mercedes, whatever -- have body damage from transit. Your problem is not the body damage; it's that the dealership didn't discover it and take care of it before you saw it.

It's unfortunate, but these bozos don't care about your truck like you do. Just make sure it's a good repair, and warranteed for the full period (3-36).

I wouldn't settle for another truck that may not be exactly what I want.

------------------
Black 2000 SC short-box XLT. 4.2 V-6, 5-speed, 3.55 limited-slip. CD, remote entry, factory side steps, rear fender inner splash shields (TSB 00-09-05), FORD box liner.

My third F-series. The other two: '73 F-100 Custom, 240 cube 6, 3 on the tree, tan, "West Coast" mirrors, step bumper, knitted vinyl seat, AM radio; and '98 F-150 XL-SC, XLS package, Pacific Green, 4.2 5-speed, 3.55 ls, FM-cassette.

GREAT trucks!

[This message has been edited by Shifter (edited 12-03-2000).]

Old 12-04-2000, 09:45 AM
Wickman,
Can you post a picture of your screw? I have a 4x2 xlt Beige w/ blue and I am considering adding the blue fender flares.

Old 12-04-2000, 11:06 AM
I remember while SCrew shopping that I came across a SCrew that was exactly what I wanted. While inspecting it, however, my wife noticed that the headlined over the rear passenger seat looked like it had gotten wet. Turns out after we made an issue of it that the truck had seen some "hail damage" in transit, and had body work done to it. Had my wife not seen the crappy headliner, I may ended up w/ a *repaired* new truck. I thought this was a rare thing, but I guess it's not as rare as I thought.

------------------
2001 White 4x4 SuperCrew (Lariat), 5.4L, limited slip, skid plates, towing pkg, captains chairs, CD changer

Black Westin Nerf Bars; Husky Mud Guards (F&R)

Old 12-04-2000, 02:12 PM
arbee,

I wish I could post a picture of my new SCrew, but it won;t be built until tomorrow. The Ford website will let you "Paint" a vehicle to see the color options, one of which shows the 4x4 Lariat with the Blue Fender Flares. Here's the link:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f...percrew/paint/

Old 12-04-2000, 05:31 PM
When I got to work today I had an E-mail from the dealer. He spoke to the manager of the body shop and he agreed to give me a written life time warranty on the body of the truck. He said they wouldn't have to do anything to the interior to fix the body. It should be fixed by Wed. I
guess I'll go see what it looks like.

Old 12-04-2000, 06:23 PM
How big is the dent? Was the paint scratched to the metal?

The only thing to worry about with those kinds of warranties is, if the dealership closes or changes ownership they will not recognize that warranty.

Quick Reply: My story