SuperCrew

SuperCrew, Expedition or SuperDuty Crew Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SuperCrew, Expedition or SuperDuty Crew Cab?

I'm in the market to replace my 94 4.0L Ranger SC XLT. I'll never buy a small truck again. Towing a snowmobile trailer behind it is like towing a barn door.

I'm undecided on whether to buy a 2001 F150 Supercrew or a 2000 Expedition, or a 2000 Superduty Crew Cab. What's the best route to go?

I like the versatility of a pickup vs. the Expedition but I also like the ability to lockup the vechicle to secure valuables. The Supercrew caught my eye because of the 4 doors and a pickup bed. I wish the bed was 6' instead of 5 1/2' Reading the message board, a few of you recommend the Superduty Crew Cab. What about gas mileage for a Superduty vs. an F150 or Expedition.

Help me decide boys?

Bob Z

Old 01-10-2000, 05:53 PM
J-C
Thumbs up

Of the 3 choices, you will get more for your money if you buy the SuperDuty CrewCab ShortBed ($200 more for a LongBed - but you won't get a LongBed into a garage )
I went shopping for a TRUCK to TOW stuff and got the SuperDuty. My wife looked at the Navigator (fancy Expedition) and thought there was no support behind her knees. We wanted extra cab room so we could lock stuff up, too. The SD CC has more room than anything we checked out.
If you are worried about fuel mileage, you should either forget about any of your choices and buy a Honda... OR Order your SD CC with the PSD. If you plan to keep the vehicle for 100K or so miles, the PSD cost will be recovered (the break-even point is around 90k miles). Otherwise, the mileage is pretty much the same unless you get a 6 - but you did say you wanted to tow, didn't you.
Good Luck.
I love my TRUCK.

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
Polished Stainless Steel Wheel-well Molding http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 01-10-2000, 09:19 PM
Thumbs up

Bob- Obviously we all here have our preferences.....i.e. "buy what I brought", but all three choices will work for you in some way. If you are only towing a snowmobile a 4.6 * would actually do the job, thus giving you a break of a few miles a gallon. The Supercrew is just an Expedition with the area behind the seat whacked off for the "short short" bed. The 250 is heavy duty with 4 doors yet the seating IS different than the other two. It is not based off the Expedition seating is not intended to function as the same way as a Supercrew. With hard shopping the 250 and the Supercrew are close in price, (Supercrew has alot included in XLT package base, not sure on 250..have to ask JC!) The expediton similarly equipped is a good bit more expensive.

Personally, I would like to have the Expo and Supercrew in the garage with a 2001 250 regular cab on the pavement!!

Old 01-11-2000, 09:14 PM
Thumbs up

JC

Thanks for the advice. I checked your web page and the pictures of your truck are real nice. Do you have any pictures of the interior?

Do you know if a Supercrew interior has similar interior space as your truck?

Old 01-12-2000, 06:50 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for checking the measurments. I called my local Ford dealer and he doesn't have either on the lot. Both are special order so it's going be hard to be able to sit in them.

Your like me, I won't buy until I have the chance to try them out.

Old 01-13-2000, 12:01 AM
J-C
Bob,
Sorry no interior pictures (yet). As far as comparing space, I've never seen a SuperCrew but cannot imagine it even comes close to the interior room in the SD CC. My SD has more interior room than the Navigator (but they tried to cram an extra row of seats into the Navigator). I suspect the SuperCrew is a "stretched" SuperCab.
I just went out and measured my interior. From the windshield to the rear window was 97" The rear door is 35" wide.
Before you buy, you should sit in the back seat of both vehicles. I wouldn't spend that much money without being able to sit in one before I signed anything! I went to 6 different dealers before I sat down and ordered mine.
From the Dealer's brochure you can get dimensions of the truck. A SuperDuty CrewCab ShortBed 4x2 should fit into a normal 22' garage; the LongBed won't.
Good luck.

Old 01-13-2000, 04:59 PM
J-C
Thumbs up

I haven't seen a SuperCrew around Southern California - I haven't really been looking.
However, there are SuperDuty CrewCabs EVERYWHERE out here. In fact, it is hard to find a SuperDuty that isn't a CrewCab

You should be able to pin down measurements from the Dealer's brochures. Good Luck in your search.

Old 01-15-2000, 12:43 AM
You can check out the new SuperCrew prices at: www.kbb.com

Also look at: www.fordvehicles.com for photos, interior etc.

My Ford dealed gave me the 2001 F150 SuperCrew "Major product Features" which shows standard and optional equipment and order codes, colors, specifications etc.

------------------
DDF

Old 01-17-2000, 04:41 PM
Thumbs up

I test drove everything I could get my hands on. Lariets, XLT's, Work trucks, SuperCabs, CrewCabs, auto's, manuals, V8, V10 and Diesel's. Not one of these trucks had everything on it that I wanted, the 6 speed diesel was a work truck and had no creature comforts but that diesel was the one to push me into the dealers office to order. Just make out a list of things you want and keep test driving everything till you know what you want then go order. As far a which of the 3 for you to buy...??? Well, it really depends on how you want to use the truck and what you expect to get out of the truck. Basicly, what are you going to use the truck for. Each has their strong points and their weakness's. I've just ordered my new CrewCab and it's just what I wanted. We needed more interior room in the rear seat area, well we got that. When testing other trucks, the whole family went so each of us could ride in the back with the truck more or less full. My 6'4" husband has plenty of leg room back there and he says the seat is actually comfortable. Oh, I just checked my fuel milage, 18.4mpg Not bad for not being broke in yet

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp

Old 01-17-2000, 10:34 PM
Talking

Right now I'm leaning towards the F250 Crew Cab, because of the extra rear seat room. I went onto Ford's buyer's connection and priced out a 2000 F250-SD Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab with the options I wanted. The total came to $45,100 (Canadian) + taxes. (extra 15% for us lucky Canucks) However I can't find prices on buyer's connection for a F150 Supercrew. The web site not updated yet.

Old 01-18-2000, 11:44 PM
Wink

The base of the Supercrew includes items that HAVE been extra on the 150's in the past. I can get the Crew with everything but leather for 28100 inc moonroof. Have to stick with the Crew since the 250 WON't fit in 99 PERCENT of AMERICAN garages, will ride softer, a little easier at the pumps and the family likes the 150 front end alot better. STILL, it sure would be interesting to have the stump pulling V-10!!!! (Though commuters may not miss it)

Old 01-19-2000, 12:44 AM
J-C
I found SuperCrew prices and was amazed at the BASE price of USD 26700. It was just a little higher that the BASE price for a Super Duty!!!

Old 01-28-2000, 09:06 PM
I'm going to buy the 250 or 350 crew cab. I need the leg room when my son starts driving... and the way he is growing he will need it shortly. Besides, the two children need all the room they can get now. The supercrew isn't available in a long bed and in my opinion, a short bed with a tool box is basically an expedition. I designed my garage to hold the 350 crewcab dually, just in case! I wandered around Ford.com and found some technical specs which included measurements in PDF format, but don't recall where. Seems is was in more of a commerical section. I would agree, the 250 crew cab does have serious room. The ride of a superduty crew dually with 8' bed is unbeliveable. I had to get out and make sure I wasn't test driving a lincoln by mistake. The stretched wheel base does wonders.

Old 01-29-2000, 10:00 AM
Cool

LOOKING: Which engine are you "looking" at getting??? Personally, since you're talking dually, I'm guessing you're towing something. Go with the DIESEL!!!

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5.7 rear, 10"sub

Old 02-11-2000, 11:43 PM
Smile

Bob Z,
I was in same quandry as you. You can guess from my User Name what I decided upon.
I tow a 6000 lb. car trailer (talk about a barn door) currently behind a '90 Bonco 5.0L w/ 3.55 axle.
Drove both the Expo & F150 extended cab.(SuperCrew's not much different-same overall length as extended cab, little heavier). Wife likes the Expo, I like the SuperCrew. SC rides firmer, corners flatter feels better to me, but is 21" longer. (Do you garage it? You'll need 19'minimum. Fully loaded, Expo is about $5000 more. Both should pull your trailer ok, but would get the 5.4L and the TT package obviously. I'm getting a hard bed cover so I can lock up my stuff.
Why decide? Get one of each! It's only money.
Scott

Quick Reply: SuperCrew, Expedition or SuperDuty Crew Cab?