Clicking?!?! - Univ. Joints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clicking?!?! - Univ. Joints?

2001 Supercrew 2wd
119,000 miles
2nd owner

I'm hearing a occasional clicking when I coast and more so if I accelerate quickly in reverse - I don't really see any difference in the performance - aside from what I think is a slight delay if I let off the gas at about 30mph & then hit the gas (again) - I [think] I notice a slight delayed thud (if you'd call it that).

My bud went underneath and moved the shaft & he said it seems like the universal joint to the rear - he [said] he remembers this from a company truck he once drove - and that the whole drive shaft could fall out!!!!

My truck is in pristine running condition - the guy I bought it from 4 or 5 thousand miles ago was the original owner who always (and provided me with receipts) had it dealer serviced for everything.

How much $$$ am I lookin' at?
Is it a big job?

I have a bud who runs a shop, he may be able to help...
I've always/still do maintained my own vehicles - fluids, brakes, filters, etc. The only thing I've ever had to do for my supercrew was repair the wipermotor linkage - took me an hour to get it out because the joint arm became disconnected & I was quoted 178.00 for new linkage -
I simply micro-drilled & cotter-pinned it & its been flawless since but thats about the extent of my "work" aside from brakes, etc.
I'm heading to pep boys to buy an alternator for my jeep wrangler (which I will replace) but I think the supercrew may be a little out of my leauge?
Should I pick up [universal jts.] anything or have my bud check 1st?

Thanks guys, in advance .

Old 05-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by vfrpilot
2001 Supercrew 2wd
119,000 miles
2nd owner

I'm hearing a occasional clicking when I coast and more so if I accelerate quickly in reverse - I don't really see any difference in the performance - aside from what I think is a slight delay if I let off the gas at about 30mph & then hit the gas (again) - I [think] I notice a slight delayed thud (if you'd call it that).

My bud went underneath and moved the shaft & he said it seems like the universal joint to the rear - he [said] he remembers this from a company truck he once drove - and that the whole drive shaft could fall out!!!!

My truck is in pristine running condition - the guy I bought it from 4 or 5 thousand miles ago was the original owner who always (and provided me with receipts) had it dealer serviced for everything.

How much $$$ am I lookin' at?
Is it a big job?

I have a bud who runs a shop, he may be able to help...
I've always/still do maintained my own vehicles - fluids, brakes, filters, etc. The only thing I've ever had to do for my supercrew was repair the wipermotor linkage - took me an hour to get it out because the joint arm became disconnected & I was quoted 178.00 for new linkage -
I simply micro-drilled & cotter-pinned it & its been flawless since but thats about the extent of my "work" aside from brakes, etc.
I'm heading to pep boys to buy an alternator for my jeep wrangler (which I will replace) but I think the supercrew may be a little out of my leauge?
Should I pick up [universal jts.] anything or have my bud check 1st?

Thanks guys, in advance .
i'll say do the u joint in the drive shaft and do greaseable one b/c the stock one not greaseable.go with the spicer u joints i think there like 26.00 bucks each. just my 2 cents.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:17 PM
'll say do the u joint in the drive shaft and do greaseable one b/c the stock one not greaseable.go with the spicer u joints i think there like 26.00 bucks each.
Is it a tough job???

Old 05-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Is it a tough job???
not really hard just take out the drive shaft. find the c-clips remove them from both sides or each ujoints. take a socket that is the same size as the ujoint cap and pound it out. if you have a vice that will help alot to hold it steady why'll pound the ujoint out. to put back together reversed the steps.
if you can't do this yourself find a driveshaft shop that can. let me know if i can help again.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Talking fixed

Replaced the U joints - when we got to the front, we noticed what looked like brake dust - turned ot the yolk needed replacing - as thats what what was causing the ujoint to become off-kilter - the FORD ujoint is a two-piece compressed part - I was able to get a NONoem joint which is a machined ONE piece and therefore will not angle/bend - but the yolk, which was sort of bent back needed to be replaced as well was which caused it- - - she's hummin' like an 07' now.

Thanks for the help guys

Old 05-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Replaced the U joints - when we got to the front, we noticed what looked like brake dust - turned ot the yolk needed replacing - as thats what what was causing the ujoint to become off-kilter - the FORD ujoint is a two-piece compressed part - I was able to get a NONoem joint which is a machined ONE piece and therefore will not angle/bend - but the yolk, which was sort of bent back needed to be replaced as well was which caused it- - - she's hummin' like an 07' now.

Thanks for the help guys
glade to help how long did it take to do

Old 05-19-2007, 04:26 PM
2 - 2 1/2 hrs.....

Ya know - I posted the same question in the "trans section" & had no replies , whats up with that?!?!?!

Figures I'd find more response from fellow supercrewers, huh

Old 05-19-2007, 06:14 PM
2 - 2 1/2 hrs.....

Ya know - I posted the same question in the "trans section" & had no replies , whats up with that?!?!?!

Figures I'd find more response from fellow supercrewers, huh
no clue may be the screw guys are nicer

Quick Reply: Clicking?!?! - Univ. Joints?