SuperCrew

Oil? What Brand and weight, and does synthetic really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Oil? What Brand and weight, and does synthetic really make a difference?

I have recently bought a 2005 5.4L Supercrew, my brother-in-law who is school to become a mechanic informed me that synthetic oil is the only way to go. I would like to know what everyone thought, and what oil weight and brand is the best for our trucks.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:26 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford says 5W20 oil. Motorcraft 5w20 is synthetic blend and about $2/quart. No reason not to use it.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I don't know why you would use anything except what Ford recommends. Motorcraft 5-20 and Motorcraft filter.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
I was told that if your engine started out with regular oil that you should not switch to synthetic. I change mine every 3k or sooner and was just curious if I should switch or not.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by DeanRatPack
I was told that if your engine started out with regular oil that you should not switch to synthetic. I change mine every 3k or sooner and was just curious if I should switch or not.
If you change oil every 3k or so, synthetic would be a waste of money. (IMO)
I change oil on my wife's car every 4-5k and don't use synthetic and haven't had any problems. Car has almost 200,000 miles.

Mike

Old 10-30-2006, 11:01 PM
I've been pouring Royal Purple in my truck since i've had it, I like to wake it up and drive it wildly sometimes and race around with my buddies so I made use of it

EDIT:

I also change it every 5k

Old 11-01-2006, 02:57 PM
well nothing happens if u change from the oil u have on ur truck to another nothing happens.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:58 PM
so then how often are you suppose to change ur oil?

Old 11-01-2006, 03:28 PM

I switched over to synthetic on my '94 Ranger @ 75K miles and it started to hemorrage oil within 1000 miles of the change. Also, my '93 Grand Cherokee starting pisssing oil when I switched to Mobile 1 @ 90K miles. So, it would seem there is some validity to the notion not to switch from dino to synthetic... at least in an older vehicle.

Even with dino oil, you really don't need to change it until 5K miles. Again, I would like to thank all of you who needlessly change your oil every 3K miles. My energy investments continue to soar!

Old 11-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by worland
I switched over to synthetic on my '94 Ranger @ 75K miles and it started to hemorrage oil within 1000 miles of the change. Also, my '93 Grand Cherokee starting pisssing oil when I switched to Mobile 1 @ 90K miles. So, it would seem there is some validity to the notion not to switch from dino to synthetic... at least in an older vehicle.

Even with dino oil, you really don't need to change it until 5K miles. Again, I would like to thank all of you who needlessly change your oil every 3K miles. My energy investments continue to soar!
I guess when I switched my Explorer at 80K and had ZERO problems I just got lucky.

Actually, the whole "don't change an older vehicle to synthetic" is a myth, propagated by lots of heresay and maybe a couple isolated incidents from people like worland. I am sure if we looked deeper, we would find a cause other than the switch, that led to the leaking.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by luis 6
well nothing happens if u change from the oil u have on ur truck to another nothing happens.
The concepts of spelling and punctuation obviously escape you.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 PM
=-)

lol..........

Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I was told that when switching from regular oil to synthetic, you should first go to a blend. This allows the synthetic molecules to begin bonding with your engine components and helps to free up the old motor oil. Next oil change after that... synthetic all the way.

I'm at 85K on my 5.4 with Mobil 1 and she runs as strong and hard as she did new.

It's worth it, if only to help better lubricate the critical components in your engine.

That's my $.02 worth...

Old 11-02-2006, 04:51 PM

Just the opposite. if you use sythetic, you arent supposed to go back to regular. and if the car is new, you want to wait until about 7k miles to make sure its broke in before you switch to synthetic.

synthetic doesnt break down as fast so its much better. it can take much more abuse. all towers should use it for sure! I do always change mine at 3-4k regardless because i can afford it and i know it cant hurt it.

Ford suggest Motorcraft oil and filter b/c that who they have partnerships with...duh.

Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Mobil 1 5-30 in my 01 supercrew ,same in 97 merc . Change twice a year spring and fall ( I don,t have to change oil in the dead of winter that way ) about 5k on a oil change .
I like a little extra protection when I'm towing soI use afull synthetic .

I have used synthetics in various uses ( 2 strokes, tranfer cases diffs motorcycles) for many years with great success .
Manufacturing has in many cases switched to synthetic oils ( machine oils and coolants) because of their proven long life .

So with a little luck ( meaning no half blind ditz on a cell phone does me in ) this may pay off some day with increased engine life .

Quick Reply: Oil? What Brand and weight, and does synthetic really make a difference?