SuperCrew

Wix or OEM oil filter? Also OCI 3 or 5K?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wix or OEM oil filter? Also OCI 3 or 5K?

I have been reading good things about Wix filters. Who prefers the Wix or Napa Gold over the OEM filters and why. What is cheaper?

On a side note who goes with the 5K OCI that Ford recomends? Does anyone still change the oil at 3K? What about motocraft oil. Is it just rebranded oil or do they add their own additive pack?

Old 12-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Well, hooo is going to be first?

Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Oil Change = Every 5K or so

Oil filter = cheapest one I can find at Wal-Mart or Kmart.

Oil = cheapest dino I can find at Sam's Club

Old 12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil and filters have been beaten to death, buried, dug back up, beaten some more, buried, dug back up, set on fire, put out, buried, dug back up, beaten again...

Regarding 3K or 5K, I change mine every 3K. Oil's cheap. Ford says 5K for "normal" service requirements and that's the service interval they set for their warranty service plans regardless of whether the vehicle is operated in normal or severe circumstances. The Motorcraft branded 5W20 is supposed to be some pretty well regarded stuff. I've got 31K miles on it without a hitch yet. Use whatever brand oil you want, as long as it meets the latest API ratings. Use 5W20 only.

Filters? Motorcraft FL-820S. The only filter to use on these engines, IMO.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
x2 quintin. and i was gonna add that the most severe driving you can do as far as your oil isnt what everyone says. towing and dusty conditions. Sure those are bad, but actually the worst there is: is drving less then 12 miles before shutting off the motor! The oil doesnt have long enough to warm up so the dirt doesnt absorb into the oil and things get nasty.

I did 5k for my first 20k then 4k for my next (still at 27k) and plan to change every 3k starting at 40k.... idk im weird like that

-Patrick

Old 12-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Wix makes some really good filters, no one can deny that. I don't think you can go wrong with either Motorcraft or Wix. i've used both on my truck and have had no issues with either. As far as oil, I only use Motorcraft 5w-20 and change it every 3k miles. Like Quentin said, oil is cheap. I'm sure I could go 5k and be fine, but it's a piece of mind to me.

-Craig

Old 12-20-2005, 03:18 PM
How does the Motorcraft 5w20 compare to Mobil 1 5w20? I have done one oil change on my truck with Mobil 1, not sure what the last guy used.

Problem is, Mobil 5w20 is hard to find, and very pricey. If the Motorcraft stuff is good stuff, maybe I'll try it? Would my engine be likely to burn or leak oil after it has been run on full synthetic, then switchted to the Motorcraft(semi-syn I think).

Old 12-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get my oil changed at the dealership where I bought my truck and got with the factory motorcraft brand. I got 45k on my truck and all is good. At first I was changing the oil at 3 k by asked myself why. If 5k is the recommended interval then do 5k. I dont have a problem with it now.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I change mine at the dealer at about 3500 to 3800 miles just because I mentally start worrying about the dust, etc. Just an old habit that is hard to break. Used to change it at 3000.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 PM
SM
A 4000 mile change interval with nothing but MC 5w/20 and MC 820S has given me 101,000 trouble-free miles.

I honestly expect 200,000+ with this arrangement.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:39 PM
If Ford suggests that you change your oil every 5K miles, then do it every 3K. I could be wrong but doesn't Ford make their money by "selling" vehicles NOT keeping them serviced.

My suggestion is get the best oil filter, oil, and change at a minimum every 3k miles.

I personally use Royal Purple Full Synthetic 5W20, with K&N Oil filter. It may cost a little extra to change every time but I haven't had any problems using it before. I change the filter every 3K and oil every 9K.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:37 PM
I had read on here once that you should only use filters with an anti-siphoen(spell) valve into the filter. If the oil is allowed to drain out of t he filter upon start up you can get piston slap out of these modular motors. Just what I have heard. Wal-mart carries the ford motorcraft brand filters and oil. the oil is about $2.50 a quart for the motorcraft semi-synth and less that $4 for the motorcraft filters, not much more than any other brand and it is made by ford or atleast has there name on it. I also change it every 3K

Old 12-31-2005, 07:37 AM
Amsoil every 10K with Wix filter.

Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Wix or OEM oil filter? Also OCI 3 or 5K?

Wix or OEM would work ok.Purolator PURE ONE is also a good filter.I would stay away from Fram oil filters.I have read on other messageboards that they suck,the filter material is cheap and the anti-drainback valves are iffy.Since getting some info from an old Buick guru I also test my filters in the store before I buy them.Blow in the hole and if it is airtight the anti-drainback is good if you blow right through it the anti drainback is bad.I may look like a fool blowing in an oil filter but I care more about protecting my engines than what some bozo in the part store thinks of me.I have found some bad filters by doing that.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Simply put.

Ford motorsoprt oil??? Since when does ford own an oil refinery? They dont!
There is no such thing as "genuine or real" ford motor sport oil, it is another brand of oil in fords "genuine" bottle.

They buy oil from a refinery that meets there specifications and who gives them the lowest bid. That's all, period. Buy a quality oil that is a name brand, that you trust, in the proper weight and viscosity and you will have nothing to worry about. If you choose Synthetic oil you will run a little cooler and can last longer between oil changes but you will be paying more per quart.

Filters - Wix, Fram ect are excellent filters and they have the longevity to back up there products. As for "Generic filters" well - Wal Mart, Advance auto, Ect... do not make oil filters. They buy there filters from a company like Fram and they put there name on it. Advance Auto filters are Fram Filters painted red, for example. But same thing, they buy there filters from the "lowest bidder." but that does not mean that it is a bad thing.

Oil change intervals. - Well that depends on your driving habits. Short freqount trips will be less mileage between oil changes and longer high way driving means higher mileage, longer distances between changes.

That is why oil changes say "X ammount of miles or so many months." Oil does not automatically die at the magic number 3,000 miles. When it is used up, it is time to change it. Thoes numbers are a suggested generic numbers so people dont forget to do important routine maintance on there viechles. And the auto manfactures keep the numbers low just to be on the safe side, which is not a bad idea.

As for the 3000 or 5000 miles between changes. The 5.4 has a 7 quart oil capacity. That is why ford suggests 5,000 miles for normal driving. There is so much oil in the pan and engine that it does not get used up as quickly as if there were only 5 quarts. Changing your oil every 3,000 will not hurt anything, what so ever but it is pre-mature and costly. (over time)

Me personally for the past 15 years I have bought Mobil 1, (personal preferance) Synthetic and a Quality filter for every Car and Truck that I have ever owned. Because of the superior quality of Synthetic oil I have always doubled the suggested mileage intervals for oil changes. 2 of my trucks I bought new and have loged well over 130,000 miles on each them and I have NEVER had an engine problem.

Quick Reply: Wix or OEM oil filter? Also OCI 3 or 5K?