SuperCrew

Am I not thinking straight, or what? Opinions.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I not thinking straight, or what? Opinions.....

Just need your opinions.....
I have a 2002 F-150 Scab Lariat 4.6. Love the truck. Prior to this I had a 2000 F-150 Scab XLT 4.2. Now, before this I had a Dodge Ram 2500HD reg cab 4x4, 8800 GVWR.
Off and on I have been entertaining the thought of once again having a 3/4 ton 4x4, and the 2005 Super Duty 4x4 looks pretty good. The reason is..... having a super tough truck that is built like the proverbial tank, knowing that it's very safe to be in one, having a truck that's ready for anything, etc, etc.
Now, in all honesty, it's just not practical for me to have one right now since I don't tow and I haven't been off road for years and don't expect to go off road any time soon.
Am I thinking crazy here? Am I nuts? Any of you have ideas like this?
What do you guys think?

Old 09-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, you're not crazy. A lot of people, including myself, have more truck than they need. I could be saving money daily (in gas and insurance) if I had bought a 4x2 Screw instead of a 4x4. Have you thought of lifting your 4x2? It would be a lot cheaper than a new SD.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:08 PM
The "Want vs. Need" problem, emotion vs. logic. I fought the very same thing two years ago when I went from a Sport Trac and a 4 year loan payment of $350/month to an F-150 Super Crew FX4 Lariat and a 6 year loan payment of $575. You have to do what's right for you, your wallet, and maybe your family if you have others to consider. The people of this board won't be there to bail you out if you get in a money pinch. But, someone may be able to offer you an X-plan number!!

If the trade / payment make sense for you, go for it and don't look back. But, as my father taught me, "If in doubt....... DON'T!"

Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Yeah, the initial excitement where's off pretty quick. One's ego can set off the "more is better" analogy, which I think in the long run proves to be completely false. This is very hard to fight in our society. Personally I like my truck more now than I did at the time I bought it. Why? Because it's paid off, it's exactly what I need, and I got it at a fair price (before Ford sent these through the roof!)

My advice: Stick with what you have.. it sounds like a nice truck. Put your money into the really important things in life (family, savings accounts, home upgrades, stock, etc..) Unless you're buying a vintage collector automobile, these big trucks depreciate faster than any investment I can think of... and in this economy, that's really important.

Last edited by Crewd; 09-12-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:20 AM
I Agree

I agree with Crewed

Even though he sounds like a wife(not mine).

We men and our trucks are crazy! We spend lots of money to get one... then we want to spend more to upgrade them!

never satisfied

B

Old 09-20-2004, 09:30 PM
I went through the same thing you are going through. At one point in my life, I thought I needed a f350 diesel dually crew cab w/ clearance lights (gotta have those) because I was pulling a little 5000 lb fifth wheel. Then I set down and figured that I'd only need that "extra" for about 2000 of my 12,000 mile a year driving. For the other 10,000 miles, I was driving around my livingroom. So, I figured I'd be comfortable and get a Screw, That was just able to handle the fifth wheel. Then, I found out that my wife was having an affair on me and then I got a divorce and I had to sell everything to give her her 1/2. But I kept the Screw! Now..... what was the question again?

enjoy whatever your decision is!

Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Angry

Then, I found out that my wife was having an affair on me and then I got a divorce and I had to sell everything to give her her 1/2

Man, you REALLY got Screwed!! she was cheatin` on you & you still had to give her half? Who was she cheatin` with, your lawyer??
Back to the subject: My wife only let me get this truck because she didn`t want to tent camp anymore & wanted a trailer. I told her we needed a truck to pull that trailer & she digressed!! Lucky me!!

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Our family has two trucks only. 04 Lariat 4x2 Screw and 04 FX4 Screw. Most people just dont understand it! We had a 99 F250 diesel and an 03 Screw before that! All great trucks!

Old 10-15-2004, 08:56 AM
If you go to the SD forum you can see a lot of discussion on this topic.

I just went through this and decided on a '05 F150. I just couldn't justify the added cost for the SD because I wasn't going to get one and not get the PSD. What help make my decision was the maintenance cost and that the fuel cost for the SD is higher now, oil change is more expensive.

But when it came down to it I just saved roughly $7,000 by going with a F150 and my wife isn't complaining a whole lot with the mods I want to get done.

I suggest go to the SD forum read through them and make your choice but it is your choice and you are the one that has to live with that choice.

Good Luck

Old 10-15-2004, 11:31 AM
You just have to "weigh" the "wants" vs "won'ts". I've wanted the 4X4, but just couldn't live with the "won'ts". I couldn't justify the extra cost mainly because I really don't need the 4X4. I really like the looks, so I'll probably at some future time lift my 4X2 and "passify" my WANTS. Good luck with the decision, we all have to make it

Old 10-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Just a quick question

Hi all...im new to this forum and am currently looking to buy a 2004 ( hopefully ) 150 4X4....I joined the forum to see what everyone thought about their trucks and its just what I thought..yall wouldnt get rid of them.. just one question, what do you mean when you post 4X2 screw or 4X4 screw? screw meaning?????

thanks, and this is a great forum!!!

Glenn

Old 10-15-2004, 12:10 PM
i did it!!!!

I figured out ALL on my own that "screw" means super crew....(i hope).. its amazin what powers of deduction can accomplish....

Glenn

Old 10-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Devsdude- In Massachusetts, it's a "no fault" divorce state.. In other words, it doesnt matter who the "bad guy" is, the courts only care about what was collected during the marrage, and that it gets separated evenly.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Re: Just a quick question

Originally posted by Floydyisms
I joined the forum to see what everyone thought about their trucks and its just what I thought..yall wouldnt get rid of them..
I don't know? With gas prices heading skyward, my wife's Mustang is lookin' pretty good right now!

Old 10-17-2004, 12:53 PM
i got what i wanted,and needed..S-crew 4x4 (wife and 2 kids)
north here sucks in winter so 4x4 is good to have.
i did shop around for 2 months,before deciding on getting 03 fx4...i figure everyone will be trading up to new 04-5,so look for some deals out there..good luck..and remember youll be driving it for a while..so make your self happy within reason<<its what my wife said...lol

Quick Reply: Am I not thinking straight, or what? Opinions.....