Twin Turbo vs. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For an 04-08 5.4 f150, if time and money were no object, I wonder which could create more power/be more reliable. Would parasitic loss on the supercharger or the lag in the turbo slow it down more? Which would be harder to do or cost more? Which brands and tuning would work best for both? What kind of special mods would have to be done for each?

Not looking to do either one in the near future as I am BROKE, just wanted to start an interesting conversation on here since most of us young kids just ask the same stupid questions over and over again. Trying to break the mold and show some of us actually want to learn from the people with all the experience.

Last edited by Calera16; 10-07-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that 4.0L whipple is a crusher, I think it requires forged internals for the engine for 25lbs+ boost right? that video is on a Shelby so that explains..

can you really use a stock motor on your 2000 SCREW to get to 1000HP with a procharger? I thought those engines were limited to 450-500HP?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM
I will probably never go beyond naturally aspirated but wow what a read ... I would just like to thank you for writing all that up and that I really enhanced my knowledge of forced air induction items

Old 10-10-2013, 02:18 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of turbo when my truck is paid off. That or just getting a Trick Flow top end kit and a good tune and calling it a day.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I learned ALOT in that write-up. Really helped me decide what id wish i could do to my truck one day

Old 10-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by widj
that 4.0L whipple is a crusher, I think it requires forged internals for the engine for 25lbs+ boost right? that video is on a Shelby so that explains..
Yeah the 4.0 is a beast. 1021rwhp with 22psi on 2012 GT500
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...rwhp-dyno.html

Old 10-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Crash!
A DOHC in a GT 500, but a good comparison showing the Whipple on the dyno. I could not find (AS YET) an engine dyno run with the Whipple. This will have to do. But remember, once the intercooler and inlets are upgraded, this is what you get. There is no other option other than increasing boost level, and while this unit can make 25 PSI, you will be limited by the intercooler capacity. Just the nature of the beast.

On the converse, the ProCharger can be upgraded to a RACE blower with 9 bolts and 2 clamps in about 20 minutes, and you are RACE ready. And know this, my charge temps have been as low as ambient, which to date has been as low as 73 degrees at full boost. During the winter, the air to air intercooler comes into it's own for REAL!

url]
Crash, your remarks here simply aren't correct. You can switch to a large displacement blower with a twin screw just like you can with a Procharger. For example right now I have a 2.3. Upgrades are a 2.9, 3.4, and the 4.0. It's an 8 bolt swap. 4 on the blower and 4 on the throttle body.

But we both know swapping a blower out to a bigger one is not as simple as you made it sound. There are many other considerations. Tuning, fuel pumps, fuel lines, injectors, intakes, heat exchanger size, belt size, mounting, etc all have to be accounted for. No one can simply show up to a track bolt on a bigger blower and be ready.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 10-11-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Everyone knows I am a die hard ProCharger fanatic. What they don't know is I have sold 37:1 ProCharger over every other brand. Systems I have sold 10-14 years ago are still in operation. Just ask JMC and JBravo.

Correction. JBravos Procharger blew up. And like many others suffered with terrible belt slip due to poor design.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I love these kinds of threads! I like all forced induction but I think turbo compressors are by far the best for raw power. I wish I had gone the route from the getgo.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 PM
The roots/screw types will provide a power curve that comes on instantly and rise quickly and plateau, dropping off toward redline due to the losses in efficiency due to heat generated.
This is simply not true of the twin screw blowers. The power is there from idle to redline. They DO NOT drop off or plateau. That can easily be seen on any dyno graph and is most impressive when looking at the dyno graph of the 1021rwhp car I posted earlier. Even at 7,200rpms the hp continues to climb and at 26psi the car makes over 1100rwhp. 4lbs of boost making over 80hp. Sounds right to me. Even at high levels of boost. Kenne Bell is making 2000hp with some of his setups.

Now let me dispel the rumor of turbo lag. A properly sized turbo on a V-8 has NO LAG. You have the benefit of low end torque inherent on a V-8 to get you off the line as the impeller spools up. Size the turbo so you have good bottom end, but unreal top end. The same goes with a centrifugal blower.
Turbo lag is real and it affects every turbo in every application. A great deal of time and effort has gone in to preventing it. Everything from electric motors to spin the turbos when the exhaust gas flow isn't sufficient to hydraulics, throwing raw gas in the exhaust to create an explosion like an afterburner to drive the turbos. Then there's using a roots style blower in combination with turbos, spraying the system with NOS to make up for lag, or spraying NOS in to the exhaust impeller (shortens turbo life). The best way to manage lag though is with proper twin turbo set up.

A centrifugal will come on later and peak at an RPM proportionate angle, and the faster you spin it, the more boost it makes. For better bottom end on a centrifugal, increase the transmission step up ratio. On both, smaller pulleys make more boost, and on both types, will create boost quicker. The centrifugal is more forgiving off the line, then comes on like a gangbuster. When sized properly, we are happy to get traction off the line and then catch up. It also looks much less impressive when you have money on the table.
It should be noted and it is well documented that stepping up the ratio on the centri's generates a lot more heat. Not to mention if your engines not built you won't be able to handle the boost it makes on the top end from spinning it so fast. Furthermore that whole forgiving off the line stuff is for people who can't race or setup a car. Just something the centri guys came up with to sale blowers that don't make power off the line. There is simply no excuse for not having your ride hook up at the track regardless of power output. It's a race. You should have max power from start to finish and traction to handle it.

This is the result of where we started and the pressure Pro Charger put on Whipple.
When did Pro Charger ever put pressure on Whipple? Whipple got it's start in the early 80's and Procharger started in 93. Whipple made blowers for GM and Kenne Bell and many others while ProCharger got it's start with the 5.0 Mustangs. Over the years both companies evolved in to much more. And both companies have proved to be innovative and have brought a number of new products to the market in all different sizes. I do not recall at anytime Whipple building a bigger blower because of something ProChrger was doing. In fact the Whipple we know today and the variety of blowers they make for aftermarket and manufacturers didn't start until 2005.

History aside, Here's a chart below with all the Whipples. The little 1.6 is for custom setups. Quite frankly they have been the same all along other then the update to the 140R which was replaced by the 140AX which flows 41cfm more. Also all twins screws are capable of 30psi regardless of size.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 10-10-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM
TURBO OR TWINSCREW would be my choice for forced induction

Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
opcorn:

Old 10-11-2013, 09:02 PM
so, you can upgrade the size of the whipple blower and
it will bolt onto the intake that comes with the f150 kit??
how about the air inlet, can that be upgraded to??

Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 PM

Holy crap, I never knew Whipples went above 4.0L . . . What sort of application would an 8.3 be for?

Great thread so far, though bias is already clouding information lol

Old 10-11-2013, 10:24 PM
We'll I don't believe Whipple sells a bigger blower for f150 but a 2.3 can support 700 plus rwhp, so a 2.3 Whipple is pretty nasty set on kill

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo vs. Supercharger