Twin Turbo vs. Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flux
so, you can upgrade the size of the whipple blower and
it will bolt onto the intake that comes with the f150 kit??
how about the air inlet, can that be upgraded to??
From what I understand the 3.4 sold for the Lightning will bolt on. With the selection of snouts you can run a Lightning style belt setup as well. Also with the selection of snouts a mid-plate can be made and you can use any blower you want. I was being sarcastic in my post earlier mocking what had been posted about swapping Prochargers out. It's never that simple. Bigger blowers regardless of style require larger belts, larger inlets, tuning, bigger injectors, etc. They may bolt on to a plate, mid-plate, or intake but thats just the beginning.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 10-11-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Holy crap, I never knew Whipples went above 4.0L . . . What sort of application would an 8.3 be for?

Great thread so far, though bias is already clouding information lol
Lol. It always does. Ultimately it comes down to what you personally want and are willing to spend money on. No system is perfect. Every setup has limitations of one kind or another. And basically thats why I even posted in this thread. It's fine that people have a favorite or a preference but making one system sound perfect is just wrong.

The 8.0 Quad rotor Whipples are amazing. I've seem many of them on speed boats. Check out Whipples facebook page. They post pics and details often of rhese mega blowers and the power they make.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
From what I understand the 3.4 sold for the Lightning will bolt on. With the selection of snouts you can run a Lightning style belt setup as well. Also with the selection of snouts a mid-plate can be made and you can use any blower you want. I was being sarcastic in my post earlier mocking what had been posted about swapping Prochargers out. It's never that simple. Bigger blowers regardless of style require larger belts, larger inlets, tuning, bigger injectors, etc. They may bolt on to a plate, mid-plate, or intake but thats just the beginning.
thanx twin... been trying to find a way to make a kenne bell system work, but no luck.. thay dont make a intake that will fit the 3 valve 5.4 do to the higher
deck height on the 5.4L block... dumb ? but will a larger blower offer a cooler
air charge do to its bigger volume???

Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Lol. It always does. Ultimately it comes down to what you personally want and are willing to spend money on. No system is perfect. Every setup has limitations of one kind or another. And basically thats why I even posted in this thread. It's fine that people have a favorite or a preference but making one system sound perfect is just wrong.

The 8.0 Quad rotor Whipples are amazing. I've seem many of them on speed boats. Check out Whipples facebook page. They post pics and details often of rhese mega blowers and the power they make.
I think the same way you do and want all the power right away. That's the whole point for me; come-on-later set ups aren't as thrilling. Even if a turbo set up could run the 1/4 faster than a Whipple, I'd be more concerned with the 1/8 mile (and really just the 0-60 or so mph) time. That's what is achieved during "normal" driving circumstances and I don't want to wait for the damn thing to spool up. My knowledge is very limited, but even I went "Mmm that don't sound right" to some of the Procharger stuff. Kinda made it sound like someone would be stupid to run anything else.

I can't even imagine a quad rotor of that size moving that much air. I'll have to check that out, certainly sounds amazing!

Old 10-12-2013, 10:01 AM
The reason isant that Whipple only supports a 3.125 pulley, that is what ford came up with 10 psi pulley, I've discussed this with a tech at Whipple, air charge on a 2.3 Whipple is no issue on a 23 psi cobra, u are talking 1/4 mile at a time cause there is know other way to properly race legally, and I'll tell ya I'm a vortech and Whipple person hands down heck I made 735 rwhp thru a automatic tbird with 4r70w with a t trim on a true 4.6, and that's impressive, my new setup will be ysi with a boss block and stroker crank so a 5.3l oh I forgot to tell ya it's a 2v car and all my stuff are street cars with full a/c I've just never been a fan on pro charger stuff as I know they make insane race blower, okay I'll stop for know

Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to op

money no object, i park the f150 get a lambo and drop it off at underground racing.

now if you mean, daily driver, occation towing and basically the best of both worlds with a reasonable $12k to $15k budget. (before you slam me start adding up parts, shipping, and parts that will have to be upgraded) a roush or whipple from JDM with their tune would be nice. They are now a procharger distributor so pretty soon you can have an across the board view from guys that do day after day.

to me a turbo should be for anyone wanting to go with a built engine and willing to give up full truck use. OR someone with mad fab skills, able to do their own motor work and willing to have some down time and get rides to work while the budget allows.

sure give me built engine, $3k in head work, custom hogan type intake, custom built pi convertor to go with a built transmission, ability to go from pump gas to a a small tank of race gas for the 20 plus psi runs and a toot of no2 to get things moving. now it will not be daily driver materail, have zero resale value and no long function as a truck that can haul the family and a travel trailer around and is probalby not a lot of fun at the 150 mph runs that it will easily make.

all vehicles hit a point where they go from being fun to where they become a PITA. a whipple or roush should take you right into the fun zone. just be honest about what it will really cost.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Dang, all this s/c and t/c info going around has gotten me ambitious! I never wanted to put a blower on my truck since it has a lot of heavy, aftermarket parts (safari cage, winch, winch bumper, sound system, 34" tires, but all this talk is, well, now I want one. Not even so much to make a race truck, but more so just to have a little more power that the engine is comfortable with having. From what I have gathered, it seems a turbo setup is the best way to go considering lag is either negligible or minimal and parasitic loss is minimal as well. Personally, I am no fan of replacing too much when there are other alternatives, as I have also gathered from the conversations here that a centrifugal s/c is better for a lower cooled charged air temp, sealed bearing, and (according to CRASH) unparalleled equipment quality with the ProChargers.

Just out of curiosity, what is the cost for a very safe supercharger setup for my engine and all stock components (i.e. charger model, pulley size, fuel injection, spark plugs, etc)? I have a 2007 5.4L FFV 4spd auto, 4x4, 3.73LS, and a cute pink child seat for my 22 month old daughter. I don't intend on running anything higher than 93 octane fuel since that is the highest octane fuel most readily available. Would a centrifugal supercharger be best? Or roots or twinscrew? I know everyone will have their biases, but all bias aside and professionalism first, what are some opinions out there?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

12lbs with a whipple, how will the 5.4 and 4 speed automatic handle under that much boost? I heard 8lbs is being very conservative to the drivetrain, transmission, transter case if 4wd, and engine in terms of minimal parts replacement/modest power added/longevity of drivetrain components.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Dang, I'm with phatt, really wanting to do this as well now. Crash really knows his stuff, will be calling on ya in a few years, lol, got some others priorities to handle first.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 PM
More change between 2v to 3v then what all you stated. Returnless fuel system, VCT, more valves, different plugs, no egr, drive by wire (huge one), different injector size, vast weight increase in vehicles, different MAF setup and I'm sure there are some I am forgetting. Anyway tuning or modding a 2v vs 3v is vastly different.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Suspended
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would go blower on used truck for even torque

Old 11-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
More change between 2v to 3v then what all you stated. Returnless fuel system, VCT, more valves, different plugs, no egr, drive by wire (huge one), different injector size, vast weight increase in vehicles, different MAF setup and I'm sure there are some I am forgetting. Anyway tuning or modding a 2v vs 3v is vastly different.
Yep. Lightning and Mustang tuners are a dime a dozen. Drop off your 04+ F150 and they start scratching their heads. Only a hand full in the country that can do tune them right. And even then sometimes it's hit and miss.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbo vs. Supercharger