2v kenne bell 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2v kenne bell 5.4

i was wondering what mods i need to put a kenne bell blower on my 2v engine without having to remove my lower intake manifold just throttle body??
and where can i buy a new or used kit?
and at what price range would i be looking at this project?

what do you guys reccomend?

my lightning swap failed looking for this new kenne bell project!!!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
well, you cant, you have to have the lower lightning intake manifold.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six
well, you cant, you have to have the lower lightning intake manifold.
i think i've seen pictures on this site where a guy had a kenne bell installed and i thought i saw his lower intake manifold \?

but ok that is not a problem what mods do i need to make to have this project started?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 PM
would i have to modify vacuum lines? and as for transmission what do i have to do?

where can i get this parts?

Old 07-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM
interesting, i wonder what the IAT's are with that thing!

so do you already have the blower?

as for the trans, i would atleast put in a shift kit and a better cooler.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 AM
interesting, i wonder what the IAT's are with that thing!

so do you already have the blower?

as for the trans, i would atleast put in a shift kit and a better cooler.

no i do not have anything yet..

i want to know what exactly i need to do the project injectors fuel pump etc.?

do i need to modify vaccum lines etc?

is it the same project as a lightning eaton swap because i dont want to go that route as my lightning eaton swap failed maybe cus a minor issue have no idea but want to see the kenne bell route?

any thoughts would be appreciated

thank you

Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 AM
I dont know specifically whats involved in this KB swap other than what is in the Thread you posted but i can try and give some general information
I'm going to guess that you will run 8psi so you would need 42 pound injectors and atleast a 255lph fuel pump.

Yes the vacuum lines would probably have to be rerouted but that's not hard to do really.

What exactly failed in your lightning swap? It's pretty straight forward unless you had a mechanical problem.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:50 PM
I dont know specifically whats involved in this KB swap other than what is in the Thread you posted but i can try and give some general information
I'm going to guess that you will run 8psi so you would need 42 pound injectors and atleast a 255lph fuel pump.

Yes the vacuum lines would probably have to be rerouted but that's not hard to do really.

What exactly failed in your lightning swap? It's pretty straight forward unless you had a mechanical problem.

sound good
8 psi for now would be good dont want to add to much boost

what failed me on the swap wasss first transmission started slipping was not a problem bought another ones that was fixeddd. out of a sudden one of my pistonss broke so i didnt want to go for a rebuilt then i had to sell the whole kit to get another engine... tobad for my luck now i want to redue a project without russing myself and do a clean job on it its going to take me time but eventuallly will get it done!!!!

here is what i was thinking last night can i rebuilt the engine that i took off the one with the messed up pistons or should i rebuilt the one its on truck right now?

1) ( internal first) Rebuilt engine for more powerrr what kind of pistons rods etc for a complete rebuilt do you recommend?

2) Rebuilt transmission do you recommend getting my 4r70w rebuilt or just swapping it for a 4r100?

3)after engine and transmission has been rebuilt now i can just go for the lightning swap ones more time as im more familiar of what parts and what mods need to be madeee and just forget about the kenne bell as i think the lightning setup will be much better after i have made those changes on engine and trans...

4) as for a differential what do you recommend leaving it stock swapping it for a lightning one or what is the deal i dont know much about differentials?

5) can i leave my stock ecm after the rebuilt of engine and trans or would need to change that?

hope this makes sense...

Old 07-28-2012, 04:55 PM
seems like you had a bad tune with your last L swap.

i would think the L swap would be more beneficial since you would be able to cool the charged air after the blower, unlike the kenne bell blower.

1) are you able to build the motor yourself? if not, maybe a built short block may be the way to go.

2) i have my 4r70 rebuilt to handle the power, but is your truck 4wd? if it is, it will be alot harder to swap in a 4r100.

3) i agree

4) im assuming you already have a 9.75 which you should if your truck came with the 5.4 motor, a limited slip or even a locker would help you gain some traction and not do a one wheel peel

5) you can use your stock ecm, but you will still need a custom tune for the blowers anyway. and if you do swap in a 4r100 you will need a computer from a truck with that transmission.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 PM
seems like you had a bad tune with your last L swap.

i would think the L swap would be more beneficial since you would be able to cool the charged air after the blower, unlike the kenne bell blower.

1) are you able to build the motor yourself? if not, maybe a built short block may be the way to go.

2) i have my 4r70 rebuilt to handle the power, but is your truck 4wd? if it is, it will be alot harder to swap in a 4r100.

3) i agree

4) im assuming you already have a 9.75 which you should if your truck came with the 5.4 motor, a limited slip or even a locker would help you gain some traction and not do a one wheel peel

5) you can use your stock ecm, but you will still need a custom tune for the blowers anyway. and if you do swap in a 4r100 you will need a computer from a truck with that transmission.
thats is what other peopple here on the forum told me bad tune spoke to jj but never got a fixed he toldme it was not the tune after several data logs owell that happened already ....

1.) no i would pay for it to get it rebuilt i just want to buy the parts feel saver doing so dont trust mechanics here ...
what is it do i have to buy for the engine rebuilt as i think is easier because i already have the other engine just sitting around i will just pay for labor to install parts and to put the engine in?do you where can i purshase parts for the rebuilt?

2)it is 2wd but im not going to worry for transmission for now just concentrate on engine...

4.) im guessing i have never touched the differential completely stock!!!!

5)yes about custom tune im aware this time i will try JLP heard his veryy good on tuning this trucks!!!!!
sounds good i'll see if i decide on the 4r100 swap with ecm or just rebuilt my 4r70w to keep my stock ecm!!

i will just concentrate on engine first!!!! im going to take this step by step and with calm dont want to rush things as i want this project to come out perfect!!!!

Last edited by California; 07-28-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 PM
1) i understand that, manny at http://www.mhpengines.com/ sells complete engines and build kits. hes very popular with the lightning crowd and has excellent prices. its almost cheaper to just buy a built small block or long block than it is to piece one together and have another block bored and cleaned, etc..

2) alright.

4) check your door sticker and see what is says under the axle code. i believe H9 is 3.55 LS. or you can just look at the tag on the axle pumpkin and it will give the gear ratio and tell you if its a LS unit also.

4) i had jj before too, but his tunes were making my trans shift weird, so switched to JLP. i would just build up the 4r70, unless you are wanting to make over 550HP.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:56 AM
1) i understand that, manny at http://www.mhpengines.com/ sells complete engines and build kits. hes very popular with the lightning crowd and has excellent prices. its almost cheaper to just buy a built small block or long block than it is to piece one together and have another block bored and cleaned, etc..

2) alright.

4) check your door sticker and see what is says under the axle code. i believe H9 is 3.55 LS. or you can just look at the tag on the axle pumpkin and it will give the gear ratio and tell you if its a LS unit also.

4) i had jj before too, but his tunes were making my trans shift weird, so switched to JLP. i would just build up the 4r70, unless you are wanting to make over 550HP.
nice site interesting and is 1hour away from where i live im thinking about a short block maybe stage 1 or stage 2 i will have to decide on that.... if i buy one of those short block what exactly do i have to change from the engine i have on truck right now regular 5.4?

it is 3.55

yeah im with you on that one i ll struggled alot with jj as first time the tune was corrupted locked my ecm 2nd time when i tried loading new tune the serial number was not compatible the problem was that nhe would not pik up his phone and the time was way different from here as im in california!!!!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 AM
stage 1 block would be plenty for you! i would only upgrade to stage 2 cams just because i like the lope

i honestly dont know everything that you need, but for sure new timing chains, tensioners, oil pump, gaskets, etc.. i would have the heads rebuilt too with new springs and bearings while you are at it.

that sucks about the tune, i didnt really have a problem with getting jj on the phone, but like you said, the time difference would be a major pain to deal with.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 PM
stage 1 block would be plenty for you! i would only upgrade to stage 2 cams just because i like the lope

i honestly dont know everything that you need, but for sure new timing chains, tensioners, oil pump, gaskets, etc.. i would have the heads rebuilt too with new springs and bearings while you are at it.

that sucks about the tune, i didnt really have a problem with getting jj on the phone, but like you said, the time difference would be a major pain to deal with.

Sounds good i have been trying to get a hold of manny has 2 different numbers oh his site one says is disconnected the other just goes to voice mail is
their another way i can contact him ot does he have. A different contact number that im not aware of?

Quick Reply: 2v kenne bell 5.4