Well finally got my whipple charged truck, need some pointers!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoushNite
Any videos of the truck?
not at the moment but i could get some. i had a coolant line blow up last night so she is down till monday when i pick up a new coolant line and some coolant.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh ok, get her back up soon bro

Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by RoushNite
Oh ok, get her back up soon bro
thanks man hopefully today..

Old 05-25-2012, 12:42 AM
well i think i decided i need some more power today. i am going to sell my diablo and edge and get an sct tuner. but i want some more boost. im running 10lbs right now, i have 55lb injectors and my plugs are gapped already for anything above 10psi so anything else i should do if i up the psi? what psi should i run? thanks guys

I blew a coolant line the other day and ford wanted $150 for a new one!! and $30 a jug for the coolant, what a joke.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by 1ofakind
well i think i decided i need some more power today. i am going to sell my diablo and edge and get an sct tuner. but i want some more boost. im running 10lbs right now, i have 55lb injectors and my plugs are gapped already for anything above 10psi so anything else i should do if i up the psi? what psi should i run? thanks guys

I blew a coolant line the other day and ford wanted $150 for a new one!! and $30 a jug for the coolant, what a joke.
You will need a fuel system.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
You will need a fuel system.
yes i read about this, i think 12psi will be alright with out it because i probably have a lack of boost right now as it is anyways because of having n cats and a very free flowing exhaust

Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1ofakind
yes i read about this, i think 12psi will be alright with out it because i probably have a lack of boost right now as it is anyways because of having n cats and a very free flowing exhaust
HUH??? Less boost due to a free flowing exhaust means your moving more air in and out of the motor. The more air the more oxygen. The more oxygen the more fuel is needed. At 12psi your motor will be generating over 600hp at the flywheel. You will need at least a 302lph at 600hp. And quite frankly 600hp would be with a dead tune. If you even try 12psi with the stock pump you are going to go lean POP goes the motor.

In all of this keep in mind our trucks have a return line on the system. So it takes quite a bit of flow to maintain the required liters per hour as fuel is constantly being returned to the tank. Also as boost pressure comes in more volts are sent to the fuel pump to bring up the fuel pressure. The more pressure required the more lph are lost. Some fuel pumps regardless of lph rating flow the rated lph at 43psi of fuel pressure. (Others flow thier rated lph at 0 psi Watch for this) Demand 30 more psi as is often the case with a boosted motor and the lph will drop by an average of 80lph. The high pressure model pumps will typically loose about 40lph.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 05-25-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I'll explain how boost works again...

A boost guage does not read how many PSI the blower if putting in the motor. It reads how effcient the motor is at letting air in and letting air out.

The size of the crank pulley to the supercharger pulley is what decides how much actual PSI the supercharger is putting in the motor. If you do a free flowing intake, upgraded heads with bigger valves and a extremely free flowing exhaust you may see only say 3PSI on the guage while the truck is pullied for 8PSI.

Just because your truck reads low PSI does not mean you can just keep increasing the crank pulley size or decreasing the supercharger pulley until it reads 12 psi. Boost gauge is more of look into how much the air going into the blower actually can be forced into a cylinder and pushed out. Its alot more complex then what I've said but I've written about it a few times more in depth.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Put in laymans terms very well Ironsin.

1ofakind, do you know what your fuel burn is lb/min (lb per min). Whoever dyno'd the truck should have this info?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 PM
ok well i just learned alot. i totally thought the smaller the pulley the more psi. but i do not have a guage on my truck yet. im waiting for a pod. but thanks that teaches me alot. so my exhaust as is (no cats 3" from longtubes all the way back to a flowmaster muffler) is doing good for my truck? i have heard lots of people losing boost from putting on a very free flowing exhaust. and i have no idea of the fuel burn, the previous owner got in tuned not me.. mainly i just want to get to 420-450 rwhp. but before i go get it all dynoed with the new sct i want to do everything that will help power wise first. thanks for explaining this to me. im no expert this is my first sc truck

Old 05-25-2012, 11:34 PM
No problem. As for the exhaust lose the Flowmaster and get a Magnaflow or Borla. The Flowmaster is hurting you. Also have a x-pipe installed.

You are correct about the smaller blower pulley adding boost. What pulley do you have now? And remember loosing boost due to a more efficient exhaust, larger cams, head porting, or larger valves is a very good thing. It means there is less resistance to the air charge being produced by the sc. That means more air is getting in and out of the motor producing more power. Boost levels are not an indication of power.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 05-25-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:18 PM
450 cannot be done on stock whipple tune. You need more boost or cams and more injector. Until you can tune for such things with a sct handheld you cannot do it safely

Old 05-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
No problem. As for the exhaust lose the Flowmaster and get a Magnaflow or Borla. The Flowmaster is hurting you. Also have a x-pipe installed.

You are correct about the smaller blower pulley adding boost. What pulley do you have now? And remember loosing boost due to a more efficient exhaust, larger cams, head porting, or larger valves is a very good thing. It means there is less resistance to the air charge being produced by the sc. That means more air is getting in and out of the motor producing more power. Boost levels are not an indication of power.
ok ill change out the muffler, so do i just do a dual in dual out? and i have 55lb injectors and 10psi pulley

Last edited by 1ofakind; 05-26-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
450 cannot be done on stock whipple tune. You need more boost or cams and more injector. Until you can tune for such things with a sct handheld you cannot do it safely
i would get a custom tune done, right now it has been dyno tuned at a shop in edmonton. bigger that 55lb injectors?? id say they are pretty good as is no?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Just from what ive read i believe hes refering to the fuel pump as well. 255 gpm (?)...injectors can only deliver higher amounts of fuel if they are recieving adequate amounts. Stock fuel pump is not enough.

Sorry for any mistakes or misunderstandings just my interpretation.

Quick Reply: Well finally got my whipple charged truck, need some pointers!!