Whipple Custom CAI (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice work. Looks very professional. I bet you could sell a few of those as a kit! Might pay for some upgrades

Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Freaking sweet man! Very nice work

Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks all! It was a fun project. Fairly simple. Secured to the truck nicely via the flat brakets that are already there (just had to push the wire harness outboard) and I think it looks good to.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM
That turned out very clean, nice work

Two questions, is the top secured by anything or just a snug fit and gravity (and the hood above), second any concerns about that duct work holding up, think something like this would help? http://www.anchorrubber.com/hose/rfh.pdf

Old 03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That's awesome!

Old 03-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Shes secured to the metal brackets under the box. They actually create a nice level surface to bolt to. The only thing I had to do was drill and tap holes and move the wire harness over against the fender. This was no biggie as there was enough slack. Drilled a hole so the holder would work. As for the duct that looks good. The stuff I have is similiar. Not the crap from the auto parts store. I bought it from the local yacht company. Its used for engine room ventilation.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Man that is a very clean install there, bravo!

Do you have any way to read the IAT's to see what kind of different it might have made?

Old 03-29-2011, 03:49 PM
I do however I don't expect to see lower numbers verses the Whipple intake. The thing I hated about the Whipple was the restrictive design. It only had one opening and that was in the fender. It also only had a small space around the filter (less than an inch). In addition the Whipple air box was hard to clean as you have to unbolt it and it was often dirty with leaves and pine straw drawn in from the fender. Now I just lift the lid and vaccum it out. Here is a pic of the stock Whipple kit.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Ahh ok I didnt realize the whipple came with a box like that. On my 06 mustang I have a whipple (12psi) and it doesnt have any kind of box around it. Might be a little better with those hoses behind the grill area when your driving...probably helps force a little more outside air in.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
No, no forced air. Its very important with these MAF's to keep negative pressure in front of them. Forced air such as a ram air effect will upset them and cause severe lean and rich conditions. Otherwise I'd have these ducts run to the fog light openings.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
As for the duct that looks good. The stuff I have is similiar. Not the crap from the auto parts store. I bought it from the local yacht company. Its used for engine room ventilation.
Thats good, at least its meant for high volumes of air, and would assume higher temperatures.

I am not in the section too much but have been an active member on the site for a couple years. I have been wanting to S/C my truck from day one, but have not gotten around to doing so. I suspect I will start doing more and more reading in here to get an idea of exactly what I want to do and how much coin its going to take.

Great work again!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 PM
I think its cool, and don't mean to harp or come off rude, but i think Volume of Air supersedes cooler air when it comes to blowers. By the time the Air that's under the hood whether its closed or open filter hits the inter cooler it will be still heated up.

I did test on open vs closed, i saw better results with open..

Excuse the filth lol

I would also recommenced a larger MAF housing and tube, mine is 4"..

Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM
http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...AirWARNING.pdf
Not a fan of open elements myself. You have a fan or fanz pumping 180 degree air under the hood. Plus heat off the headers etc etc. Volume of air is important and that's why I built the box. I wanted the volume without the increased temps. As for the intercooler heating the air....if that's the case add a heat exchanger. The whole point of the intercooler is to get temps back down after the blower has heated the air up. As for my Maf its a 95mm.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Thought I'd through in a shot from a little farther back.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Nice catch-can / breather cap set-up. That's how I configured mine. Nice job on the intake.

Quick Reply: Whipple Custom CAI (PICS)