New F150 Owner seeking Sueprcharger Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F150 Owner seeking Sueprcharger Info

Hey everyone,

I know this is long but please read!

I'm a new owner and was looking at supercharging my truck and I just had some questions.

I know that the roushcharger non-intercooled is going for roughly $2800 and I heard that the Pro-charger is going for about the same. Aside from that, I'm looking for the safest, cheapest, best supercharger (i.e. least likely to mess up/blow out other stuff such as tranny but also puts out).

Questions:

Do I need to get 4.10 gears with the supercharger? What do you guys think are necessary MODs to go with a supercharger to make it the most efficient and safest for my engine, tranny, etc? Does adding a supercharger void a warranty (I bought it used and got a warranty that covers the big stuff: engine, tranny, axles, etc.)?

I have a 1992 Bronco that I've done a few things to, but nothing like a supercharger so I'm really new at this and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have basic mechanic skills and every tool at my disposal; that said, is a supercharger something I can put on myself without any problems during installation and driving it once I get it put on (should I get it tuned and dyno'd before I really start driving it?)?

I know its a lot of question but, like I said, I know nothing about these despite what I've read on the forums. A professional/experienced answer would be awesome.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your help,

Rone Taylor

Old 05-29-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
on your truck, 39# injectors ('03-'04 cobra stockers) an upgraded MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) and a dyno tune or email tune from a reputable tuner. Your truck has a 255lph in tank fuel pump from the factory. A shift kit is also recomended. 4.10 gears help power and performance but a re-gear is not required unless you are running largeer tires than stock.

as to which type of supercharger you want is:

What you expect from your trucks performance after you add the supercharger?
Will you be towing often with your truck?

the procharger will add good low end oomph while pulling hard to redline.

the roush charger will provide more low end oomph but fade out in the higher rpms.

I wouldn't add any supercharger or turbo without an innercooler and about your warranty most places will try to prove that your superchargere caused the failure so they don't have to cover if anything breaks.

I have an eaton powered truck and a procharged truck and I prefer the procharged truck...

Old 05-29-2008, 08:15 PM
The Roush kit is the best "complete" kit. In a big heavy truck you want that low-end power that a roots blower makes, My truck pulls hard until I let off there's no drop in power, and I have had my trucks speedo to the I in lariat.

I would save up and get the I\c kit its worth the extra $$

Old 05-30-2008, 12:56 AM
what about the SUPERCHARGER SYSTEM MAGNA CHARGER for $3800?

I can get the Roush non-intercooled for $2300. I won't be towing anything I just want more power. What does an intercooled s/c do for me over a non-intercooled aside from more power?

Will I need the 4.10 gears running 285/70R17 with supercharger?

I will be getting custom PHP tunes from Bill.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
The I/c kit makes more power If you just want more power the non I/c will work fine since your not gonna tow. As for gears I still run my 3.73's and have 285/18's on my truck and still get around 20 mpg

Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM
but intercoolers are great!
i dont know how hot the air gets with a supercharger but id say its definitely worth having being turbo'd on one side of my intercooler the pipe is hot then on the opposite side its nice and cold. but turbos generate lots of heat and i dont think superchargers make near as much heat.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:32 AM
alright thanks everyone. I just heard from someone else that the Pro Charger is going for $2500. So, should I go with that or the roush for $2300?

Old 05-31-2008, 02:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey Rone I sent you a message back on facebook man

Old 05-31-2008, 07:12 AM
i bought a roush because it is really a complete kit its got everything injectors electric water pump it cost more but it looks like it came from the factory that way not like a turbo with a pulley hanging off of it. i pick the truck up today at 12 it only got the stock roush tune i think i got to get custom tuned.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 AM
i too would go with a roush

procharger is reallly nice but those blowers that replace the upper intake like roots style or whatever are just freakin awesome.

if i had a 5.4l id go with a whipple or kennebell.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
The I/c kit makes more power If you just want more power the non I/c will work fine since your not gonna tow. As for gears I still run my 3.73's and have 285/18's on my truck and still get around 20 mpg
20 MPG??? I wish I could get near that. I have 33s and 4.10s and the best I get is about 14.5, taking it easy. I have never taken a long trip all highway, but some of my tanks have a lot of highway driving in them. What's your secret Matt?

Oh and BTW, for the original poster, get the Roush, you won't be disappointed. I just can't wait to get a tune from Mike.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Another vote for the Roush kit here. It's easily upgradeable as well with it's own pulley system, 39 lb injectors, and large intake and MAF housing.

With your 33.3" tires, I'd get the 4.10s. They'll get your truck going quickly (supercharger or not), and increase the fun factor by an order of magnitude.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
How do you get 20mpg with a s/c? thats awesome, i'm not even getting 20 hwy now, even with the Edge Evo tune

Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by twmalonehunter
20 MPG??? I wish I could get near that. I have 33s and 4.10s and the best I get is about 14.5, taking it easy. I have never taken a long trip all highway, but some of my tanks have a lot of highway driving in them. What's your secret Matt?

Oh and BTW, for the original poster, get the Roush, you won't be disappointed. I just can't wait to get a tune from Mike.

I run 55-65 mph and use the cruise control, And I have it tuned by MT he knows his stuff!

Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 AM
The I/C cools the charge(the boosted air). Lower temps make for more dense air, so more air at cooler temps= better power potential and lower underhood temps.

Quick Reply: New F150 Owner seeking Sueprcharger Info