Roots Rattle Returns

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roots Rattle Returns

Hey Everybody! Got a question.....

1999 F150 4.6 with a Allen (Magnacharger) M90 Eaton roots blower purchased slightly used, then installed and used for over 70,000 miles.

In the engine bay, I have a rattle or tapping sound that is louder at idle and quieter at higher revs. I am trying to trace the source of the sound. In the past when this happened, it was a worn pulley or loose bracket.

It sounds like it is coming from the Eaton M90 nose cone area. I can feel the rattle sound vibration when I touch the M90 nose cone or the top bracket holding the nose cone. I recently changed the altenator and went back and made sure it was tightened down.

Anyone have a similar rattle and what was the cause? Thanks!

Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by iron horse
Hey Everybody! Got a question.....

1999 F150 4.6 with a Allen (Magnacharger) M90 Eaton roots blower purchased slightly used, then installed and used for over 70,000 miles.

In the engine bay, I have a rattle or tapping sound that is louder at idle and quieter at higher revs. I am trying to trace the source of the sound. In the past when this happened, it was a worn pulley or loose bracket.

It sounds like it is coming from the Eaton M90 nose cone area. I can feel the rattle sound vibration when I touch the M90 nose cone or the top bracket holding the nose cone. I recently changed the altenator and went back and made sure it was tightened down.

Anyone have a similar rattle and what was the cause? Thanks!
When is the last time you changed the supercharger oil? or checked the level of the supercharger oil?

Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Wear a mask first........supercharger oil stinks

Old 06-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Maybe time to check the blower! It is on your old man's truck now right??

Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Make sure it is not something easy like the tensioner being at the full extent of it's travel from the belt stretching. That would give you the issues you described here.

TG

Old 06-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by That Guy
Make sure it is not something easy like the tensioner being at the full extent of it's travel from the belt stretching. That would give you the issues you described here.

TG
good idea..

run the truck with the blower belt off and see if it's still there.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:35 AM
As noted above it could be a tensioner or tensioner pulley going bad.. I would check that first. If that checks out OK remove the belt from the blower pulley and see if there is any "play" in the pulley by rocking it back and forth by hand. If there is play it could be the coupler going bad.
I had to change the one on my Buick GS (M90) at 70k miles. Pretty straight forward to change it. The only tough bolt was the one that couldn't been seen at the six o' clock position of the blower.
These are the instructions I used.. of course there for a Buick but, it's the same blower.. http://www.regalgs.org/coupler.shtml.

You can get the coupler here: http://www.intense-racing.com/
Go to "Store", then "GM3800", and then "Induction". Whatever you need should be there for the M90.

Hope that helps...

** One more thing... If you DO change the coupler.. prior to taking the snout off stuff paper towels in every nook and crany you can. You can't pump all of the oil out and what little is left goes everywhere!! It'll save you from a stinky mess.

Last edited by 207; 06-24-2006 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Roots Rattle Returns