Platinum plugs & Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Platinum plugs & Procharger

Could someone please explain why the platinum plugs have to come out in a procharger installation. I heard they run hotter and they may cause detonation. Isn't a spark a spark? I talked to a service mgr @ Ford and he says that the 5.4 being an aluminum block he has already seen stipped out plug ports. Also the SC Lightenings are running platinum. Anyways I'm dumb as the next rock so if someone could educate me I thank you in advance.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Platinum is a poor electrical conductor. It's main benefit is that it lasts a ling time in the combustion chamber environment.

Copper is a great conductor, but the plugs tend to be short-lived.

When the cylider is pressurized, you really need a good electrical conductor so that you get a spark across the gap, as resistance increases with cylinder pressure.

Here are a few good links so you can decide for yourself:
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...0010101ds.html
(I know Advance Auto Parts may not be a performance shop, but the link is to an interview with Ken Duttweiller)

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php
(OK, os they're biased because the make iridiums...)

At any rate, I thought that Lightnings ran iridiums? I could be wrong about this...

Old 05-12-2005, 04:48 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Absolutely, it happened to me with a plug gap of .045. I thought I was getting belt slip but I was blowing out the plug. I put in NGK copper cores then and will be putting in Denso's this weekend.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:26 AM
WLF
I put in Denso Iridium plugs over the weekend and I am amazed at the improvement. They are pricy but they work, which can't be said for all the things I've put on this truck.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Mine lasted thru a super-rich tune that fouled my cats. I hope they last a good long time because changing plugs is a PITA.

Old 05-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
Mine lasted thru a super-rich tune that fouled my cats. I hope they last a good long time because changing plugs is a PITA.
I got Mike at MadEnterprise COP screws. Look Here Big timesaver! Using NGK Iridium...so far love 'em. Gapped at .38

Old 05-19-2005, 05:40 PM
What's the main difference between the Denso Iridiums and the NGK's? Why .038 and not .035? Do those COP screws really save that much time? $80 seems a little steep. What plug change intervals are you guys using?

Old 05-20-2005, 01:53 PM
NGK's are cheaper than Denso's. Beyond that I can't say. They are recommended in several posts...search if want more info.
38 was recommended and works fine.
Removing the COP screws is the most difficult part of the process for me. Anything that saves these old hands is great.
These are my first Iridiums, I plan on a check/change at 10K.
Others may have more experience and may want to contribute.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:22 AM
WLF
If you are spending $4500 for a supercharger then it is easy to justify $80 for the best plug out there. All I can tell you is Denso's are SO MUCH BETTER then the NGK copper plugs on my truck that there was just no comparison. All my hesitation went away with these Denso's. My truck is running so good I am loving life.

Quick Reply: Platinum plugs & Procharger