Bazooka Reloaded

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still waiting to finalize a deal for the parts.

However, I got some good lightning swap info........

"dirtyd0g" (builds torque converters for Factory Tech) said up in the transmission section that, I could use an 03' F150 torque converter and related flexplate, so long as, it uses eight bolts to mount it to the engine, YET only 4 bolts to mount the torque converter. He said that in 03' the converters had BRAZED FINS. This is what I needed for the increased torque of the lightning set-up. I am going to see how long my stock 4r70w transmission with a self installed shift kit, lasts. Thanks dirtyd0g!

On other news...........

My father told me he had a "code" light in his truck. So I opened the hood and found that, a field mouse or rat has been nesting (can see the fur) on the powersteering fluid bracket on his 99' F150 (he puts 500 miles on the truck a month, so it sets alot). It had chewed through the ERG pressure regulator electrical connection!!!! Guess where a replacement connector came from? ............from the wiring harness on my Lightning supercharger assembly!!!!!!!! I can get a replacement connector and I think it bought me some more time on installing the Allen kit in his truck.

Last edited by iron horse; 09-14-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:47 PM
So I opened the hood and found that, a field mouse or rat has been nesting (can see the fur) on the powersteering fluid bracket on his 99' F150 (he puts 500 miles on the truck a month, so it sets alot). It had chewed through the ERG pressure regulator electrical connection!!!! Guess where a replacement connector came from? ............from the wiring harness on my Lightning supercharger assembly!!!!!!!! I can get a replacement connector and I think it bought me some more time on installing the Allen kit in his truck.
I thought I saw you in the local pet shop shopping for mice

Old 09-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by RayCee
I thought I saw you in the local pet shop shopping for mice
I was going to spray some Raid or something toxic, in the engine bay, to keep the rodents away, when my father said, "Don't even think about it!.......do you want deadly fumes to collect in the cab!?!" .........uh okay, bad ideal.

Yeah, I stated to my father, "It was hard to cut a connector off my prized lightning assembly wiring harness, but for you, I was glad to do it. " He just gave me one of those looks that he does, when he knows I am full of B.S. haha!

Old 09-15-2004, 06:02 PM
He just gave me one of those looks that he does, when he knows I am full of B.S. haha!
Hmmm, sounds as if he's accustomed to your ways...

Old 09-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by RayCee
Hmmm, sounds as if he's accustomed to your ways...
Yo! StingRay! Your break'in my b*lls here! (Thats my best "GoodFellows" impression) haha!

Old 10-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Found out why I have been playing "phone tag" with the local guy that has the lightning parts. He has been working in "disaster relief" efforts in Florida for the past month! Infact, he continues to drive back and forth between Oklahoma and Florida! As soon as he can, we are going to meet and I am going to get the parts.

Now I need to find an 03' or 04' F150 4r70w torque converter and a F150 flywheel that will bolt up to that converter and uses 8 bolts to mount to the 5.4 engine.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:37 PM
http://www.performanceautomatic.com/

Try giving these a call. They come highly recommended by LaRocca.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:35 PM
let me know if you need the exhaust manifolds!

Old 01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Wow! I should get an award for .......dragging out a supercharger install the longest! haha! hehe eeeh. yeah.

dateless update

Today, I finally made contact with my lightning parts supplier. He said that he had to pack up the parts and store them because the bank might want them (his last L was totaled) However, he said that he would try to find the parts.

I can not wait any longer! I got my 401K withdrawl check (wow, they took a lot out for federal and state tax!!!!) Therefore, I am on a feverish hunt for the parts.

If anyone knows of a source for USED lightning front engine/supercharger brackets, tensioner, pulleys, L altenator, intercooler pump, reservior, air intake, etc. PLEASE let me know. I can even pay a finders FEE!!!!!! Really!!!!!!

Last edited by iron horse; 01-28-2005 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Jason,

By the time you find all of the parts you need on the used market, most of us will be driving 600HP trucks powered by Hydrogen Fuel Cells.

Just call me, buy the stuff and put this thread to bed.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Glad to see your still around and the project hasn't been halted much.................

Old 01-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Yeah, its weird.......so much time has went by that, people that did not have a kit when I started, now are either getting better performance than me out of their existing kits (RayCee is doing donuts with his Allen kit, in his local streets), or have moved on to their second or third forced induction system! ......and I am back to a stock 5 psi pulley! WoW! The Master has become the student! haha!

..........but remember, if someone finds a used source for the lightning swap parts I need, I will PAY A FINDERS FEE!!!!!!

.........um.....I may have to call Madenterprise very soon!

Last edited by iron horse; 01-28-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:53 AM
Collecting Parts

I just made a very good deal for the lightning idler bracket, idlers, water pump, and caged crank pulley on nloc.net. They are very helpful.

......gett'in closer

Old 02-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I'm gett'in obsessed

Found a VERY cheap source of salvaged Lightning altenators (they are "thinner" than our version). I am ordering a 2003 version tomorrow!

......man, I got to order a lot of mounting bolts from Madenterprise.com!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2005, 09:51 AM
You have got to get started on the swap.
Even with all the research and prep work you've done and even if you think you have everything,,you don't!
The only way you will find out that you are missing something is to start the install and come to that crossing.
Now, the good news is that there is nothing you can run into that you can not modify/adapt/buy your way out of.

Put a target three day weekend on your calendar and start your install on that date!

Between the folks on the board (for advice), and Madenterprise express delivery on needed parts, you will be done within two weekends even if you do run into the worst of issues.
In some cases, it's better and/or same cost to buy new parts than spend the time hunting for used stuff.

Also, consider taking incremental steps towards your lightning install.
If I saw correctly, you are going witha 4R70W transmission, so use a non-L computer and hook the lightning wiring harness directly into it (no BS,,it will work perfect!). You will not need to change the wiring harness out even if you go to a L-computer/transmissions..etc
I found removing/replacing the old wiring harness to be the most time consuming, but completely do'able!

I'm still making improvements on my setup, but I've been running now since November 2004. The power and response of my big beast is outstanding.

Just friendly advice. Jump in now and get started. That is the only way you are going to uncover the things you haven't thought about what so ever.

Your next post to this thread should be, "I pulled the engine this weekend and got the new one in place! Tomorrow, I'm starting on all the other crap to just get it running."

BTW,,put your 401K check back in the bank! That's your retirement. Trucks are not good investments!

Quick Reply: Bazooka Reloaded