Bazooka Reloaded

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt that the TC will work. Any trans shop should be able to tell you in a heartbeat if they will physically fit by looking at the size of the input shaft, etc.

I would suspect that the best way to deal with the exhaust is to cut the head pipe 1/2" below the 02 sensor bung and then have a shop add the necessary piece and put it back together. Best way of all would be to take your truck to your muffler shop and have them tell you what they think would be the best way since they will be putting it back together.

The "L" EGR tube will work, assuming you are using the 5.4 exhaust manifolds since there is no difference between the standards and "L's".

Old 08-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mad. That is good detail info on the egr tube. I was unsure if it screwed into the exhaust manifolds or the header pipe. I may email FactoryTech and ask him about the torque converter again.

I am still waiting on a price for the used parts.

.......but in other news.......

I caved and bought an 03' Lightning steering gear box. After looking for a year, I found one and got it. They cost $700 including core charge from the factory. I found a used one for $270 shipped. The 03' L box is re-valved for better on center feel and reduced lash. I hope a get a good price for the parts! haha!

Old 08-24-2004, 08:50 PM
damn that is a good deal. see if you can get the abs control module too as it's got some enhancements over the standard F150.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:25 AM
I just made a tenitive deal for the used lightning parts. If it goes through, I should have everything I need for the swap except:

1. Torque converter (t.c.) = I am still clueless as to which torque converter to get (used from a salvage). I would just use my existing oem t.c., but everyone says the "fins" will blow out. Would like to use the oem lightning T.C. but I do not know if it will work with my 4r70w trans.

2. 4 + psi pulley = I want to start with 12 psi as opposed to the stock 8 psi. Unsure if I need a lowercrank pulley only.

3. intake and manifold gaskets.

4. Throttle and cruise cable bracket = unsure if it is in the lot.

5. Exhaust = My 4.6 system will not bolt up to the 5.4 exhaust manifolds. I might just hacksaw it and get it to a shop to re-weld it. Not sure yet.

6. Tuned chip

Getting closer! ........cause I need more torque in the zone!

Old 08-31-2004, 08:11 AM
i've got my old stock N/A exhaust manifolds if you want them!

Old 08-31-2004, 08:39 AM
N/A and Lightning Manifolds are identical.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks Brahmus, for the kind offer. Let me see if I get them in this deal I just made for used parts. I am waiting to see when I can pick all the parts up.

Thanks Mad. for the info.

QUESTION:

Will my 4.6 starter bolt up to the 5.4 engine? Are the 4.6 and 5.4 starters the same?

Old 09-02-2004, 02:50 AM
Starter is the same for 4.6 and 5.4.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:07 AM
Thanks Mad.! That saves me even more money.....that I need to spend on your site. haha! .......cause I am not starting the lightning engine up, until I have one of your dual fan controllers.

Just read your Norcal Dyno Day page. Sounds like it is going to be alot of fun! I wish I could be there. .........so your accepting credit card payments now?

Old 09-03-2004, 11:18 PM
This weekend, I am going to go get the lightning swap parts. Late tonight, I am going to install the 03' Lightning re-valved steering gear box.

Big unresolved issue is the torque converter. I will have to find out what oem version will work with the lightning engine and my 4r70w trans., next week.

Old 09-04-2004, 01:29 AM
In regards to the "03' Lightning re-valved steering gear box", my 04 L is worlds different than any other F150 I've driven. It has a much tighter feel to it. My 02 n/a F150 and the 02 HD I frequently drive feel "loose" in comparison.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:56 AM
......a little off topic but.....

RG, thats good to know but.........

Last night AND today, I tried to install it and could not do it! I realized the hard way that, the 03' Lightning re-valved steering gear box has a different spline count between the flat spots on the steering gear input shaft THAN, a 03' F150 steering gear box!!!!!!! I had changed my stock 99' steering gear box and lower half shaft/coupler for an 03' F150 set-up. Therefore, I thought the 03' F150 steering coupler would slide over the 03 Lightning steering gear input shaft.......WRONG!

I could not get the lower half shaft coupler to slide over the splines on the steering gear box input shaft. Tonight (after the only major local parts dealer is closed until next week) I finally figured out that the spline count was different!

Now I got to find a 03' Lightning lower half shaft/coupler assembly...........since my daily driver is up on jack stands this Labor Day weekend!

Old 09-07-2004, 10:39 PM
The next day, I put my F150 03' steering gear box back on. It is really no big deal to swap boxes (if you have a puller) and do not mind getting a .......Mercron hair conditioning. haha!

I ordered the 03' Lightning lower half shaft/U joint/coupler assembly today ( from same salvage yard and same truck, that the steering gear box came from). Infact, in over a year of looking for parts and after checking car-part.com every week for a year, this was the first time, I found an 03 Lightning in a salvage yard.

Made other arrangements and will be getting the engine swap parts later in the week.

I am also trying to find a used 4 psi + lower pulley for a total of 12 psi of boost and I am going to call some local trans. shops and find out what torque converter I can use.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
did you get your lightning parts? do you need the exhaust manifolds or anything else i might have as takeoffs? If you pickup the shipping tab they are yours!

Old 09-10-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks brahmus!

I will know what other parts I need, after this weekend.

Quick Reply: Bazooka Reloaded