ART King Ranch build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:16 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ART King Ranch build thread

I ordered my truck last week (Lariat 4x2 Ecoboost) and I was immediately going to drop it with DJM's 3/5 kit and helper bags. Now I'm leaning more towards this:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...nt-system.html

and this:
http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...ar-system.html

I'm looking to daily drive the truck and pull my Lightning around. Will these fit an 11 if they fit the 09' and 10'? Are there other options out there?

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 12-09-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your private messages!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

Originally Posted by expedition4x4
Check your private messages!
Thanks for the tip, I'm meeting him tonight!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:14 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

I decided to go with a 5.0 King Ranch instead of the ecoboost! I will be installing everything at the end of may after I graduate I need to get some drop shackles in the mean time

Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Do you have any installs pics yet? What do you think of the kit and the ride?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

After I bought the truck I went ahead and ordered air struts from Ridetech. Part of the 4-link was bought from another member but it was missing parts. I had to order the hardware kit, lower bridge, and upper axel mounts as well. The first problem I cam across was that Ridetech sent me struts and the lower bridge for a 99-03 F150...I didn't realize the lower bridge was wrong until the first mod day SO I got the correct struts and Travis (blackedoutv6) finally had time to come install the kit. He came over after work on Friday and worked through the night and well into Saturday. We got the struts installed up front and got the air system installed in its first location inside the bed. Travis mounted everything to a piece of mdf and made it to where it would flip down under the canister for the rolling cover. The first problem came when we realized that the lower link bars were at least 6" to short. Ford lengthened the leaf spring for the 2011 model year. I called up Ridetech and told them the problem which they were unaware of. They told me to mock everything up and take measurements for a proper sized link bar. So for the first two weeks I had a stock height rear and a really low front as these struts won't lift to stock height. Severe rake!! Luckily I had my Lightning back from the shop at the time to drive. I finally ordered some shackles but that definitely wasn't enough.

Installing the lock pick

Sync was redirected to the glovebox

Check out my front camera!

The rake! gross

That was the end of the first mod weekend at the end of May.

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 09-29-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:11 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

The next task at hand was to mock up the 4link and get measurements. It was a bittersweet day because we knew everything had to come out just to go back in. I did procure some drop shackles to help with the ridiculous rake. So the day came and Travis came over again. We got everything off to discover that the lower bridge was also for a 99-03 f150 and would not work. I was so pissed that I didn;t check when I got the wrong struts. We took the measurements the best we could. I called Ridetech with the measurements but it took two weeks for them to send me a confirmation email...

I finally got the lower bridge and got in touch with my welder and he agreed to modify the link bars and install the 4 link at his shop. I also had plans of notching the frame. We got the bed off and I decided I wanted to mount the air system in the spare tire location so I could have my full bed. My welder had two Vair compressors so I bought those from him. He lengthened the lower links by 6 inches. It was discovered that it was unnecessary to notch the frame. The bag mounts get in the way and are the limiting factor. Also of note is the stock shock mount is different from the 08s and lower. The upper link mounts to the upper shock mount. It wasn't an issue since I was at the welder's!

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 09-29-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

I was disappointed that rear doesn't go any lower but that's on my list. My welder has a plan to remount the bags and notch the frame but that will have to happen when he has a whole weekend free. My goals for the truck are for it to sit on the running boards/transmission cross brace and for ride height to be 4/6 or lower.
150 psi up front

Aired out

max height in the rear...it goes way up

Coobies pic!

This was my ride height until my camber holes got elongated. I had negative camber at ride height.

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 09-29-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

I ordered some dim control arms to bring my ride height down. I found out that the bell tech spindles do not work on 09-11 f150 and it turns out I don't need them anyways. I talked with Tony Lukezic and he sent me a link for elongating my camber holes. The arms came and Travis came over yet again last weekend and installed the control arms and elongated my camber holes. After installing the arms I realized that the lift I had before was gone and I now I have to run my front bags at 140-145psi. I then decided that I would go back to stock control arms with the strut mounted 1.5" higher than the stock location. I dropped them off with my welder this week and should be picking them up tomorrow. What this means is that my ride height should be about 90-95psi and it should be able to lift up to stock height..I should be able to drop the truck like before but we;ll see. When I get around to lowering the back more I might have to revisit my plan for the front. I will be mounting another matching tank and redoing the ugly wiring under the bed soon.

New ride height

custom dump..

Last edited by SLW-SVT; 09-29-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:55 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

Originally Posted by Dtm030
Do you have any installs pics yet? What do you think of the kit and the ride?
In my opinion the ride is no better than stock. There's something to be said for the 2011 suspension setup with longer leafs. I would say it's the best ride that an f150 has ever had. I don't get the floaty feeling that the 94 Continental my folks had back in the day had. I was hoping for a cloud like experience but that hasn't happened yet.

I may do away with the system in the future and have my welder do a legit bagged setup with tubs but that's a commitment to the truck that I haven't decided to make yet. If I do that I will definitely switch to an accuair management system.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Looking good! When can I bring my mine over to get done?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Awesome write up. Sorry it's been such a pain for ya. I have thought about going down the airbag route just to make it ride even better but I think I'll leave it alone then. Why did you get rid of the other compressors you had? They looked like a Thomas brand compressor which are normally the best quality and US made (if that was them). I actually called ride rite after seeing this thread a couple of days ago and they mentioned that they don't do anything for stock height and their kit for the f150 would lower it between 5-7 inches, I guess that didn't happen then.

That lightning looks nice. That black one looks bad *** too. I have been checking them out online and want to buy one for some fun.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 AM
^^ that black ones a clone lol.

The build looks great man. Cant wait to see more

Old 09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Dtm those thomas compressors are junk, I was going to post suggesting he got a couple viair's but he beat me to it

Old 09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR - 2011

Originally Posted by expedition4x4
Looking good! When can I bring my mine over to get done?
I'm sure Travis would love to do yours too! What kind of setup does a Navigator require in the back?

Originally Posted by Dtm030
Awesome write up. Sorry it's been such a pain for ya. I have thought about going down the airbag route just to make it ride even better but I think I'll leave it alone then. Why did you get rid of the other compressors you had? They looked like a Thomas brand compressor which are normally the best quality and US made (if that was them). I actually called ride rite after seeing this thread a couple of days ago and they mentioned that they don't do anything for stock height and their kit for the f150 would lower it between 5-7 inches, I guess that didn't happen then.

That lightning looks nice. That black one looks bad *** too. I have been checking them out online and want to buy one for some fun.
Thanks Yeah the system has been a bit of a disappointment but it will be worth it when I'm finally tucking all 4 tires

Originally Posted by 97madness
^^ that black ones a clone lol.

The build looks great man. Cant wait to see more
Thanks. I'll be posting stuff on here as I do it now

Originally Posted by azmidget91
Dtm those thomas compressors are junk, I was going to post suggesting he got a couple viair's but he beat me to it
My welder was talking about putting the second tank up front with the thomas compressors under the hood...I'm not sure I need 4 compressors lol. Two tanks is a must though.

Quick Reply: ART King Ranch build thread