Need some sound system advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some sound system advice

I want to upgrade the sound system in my Screw.

I know there is a stereo forum but I wanted screw input

I want a good clear sound system that can be payed loud but not super widow shaking-- door & truck rumbling bass......... that is not to say I do not want good bass.

lets face it I am over 40 and not trying to be 20 ( but I do like linkin park and up to date music not drums with brushes )

Speaker suggestions ???

I think I have found the head unit it is an alpine

do i need an amplifer?

is a subwoofer recomended?

approx cost for each thing you reccomend.....please

I have my truck running fine now I want it to sound good too

thanks so much

Mike

Old 02-17-2002, 08:24 AM
Your SCrew will benefit greatly from a subwoofer. I put a JLAudio Stealthbox in mine, and I understand the wonderful folks at JL have created a new box for the SCrew's new console that should be out by now. They are pricey -- I paid $450 for mine -- but the sound is incredible when properly amped. (Both my neighbors believed I was running a multi-woof setup when they first heard it). I replaced my front speakers with components. Amp them too, but you can be relatively modest and obtain excellent results. I used a Kicker Impulse 55W. I had also replaced the rear speakers with a set of Kicker Coax. Having lived with the setup over a year now, I wish I'd just replaced the rears with a simple midrange only. With the components and subwoof, you just can't hear the rear stage at any sound level.
I replaced my HU with a Blaupunkt Munich unit. Wonderful HU, but it's display is the worst in the world. I got it for its simplicity (I think watching dolphins swimming on your HU is totally stupid) but the glare and reflection against its plastic panel is so horrible, you can't see the display at all during the day. Check this aspect when considering your new HU. Go for the Alpine. It was my second choice. Great product.
Don't worry about what to buy. Do your homework. Read reviews. And listen to the stuff critically before buying. Don't worry about what your buddies are buying. Get what sounds great to YOU. Here are some links for you:
http://www.jlaudio.com/ (check "stealthboxes")
http://www.carsound.com/ (download specs on products)
http://www.partsexpress.com/ (THE place for "stuff")
Remember, there are as many fine speakers as their are opinions.
After you've auditioned speakers, listen to your own informed gut.
And for heaven's sake -- Have fun!!!

Old 02-17-2002, 09:29 AM

Replace your factory speakers first. Check out www.crutchfield.com for technical info (what will fit in your ride) Don't buy from them though unless they have a special price on a particular item. You can't beat their tech help and knowledge, but you pay for it with their retail prices. After you find what will fit, buy it elsewhere on the web at a much discounted price. The Kenwood x688c 6x8's are really popular for the Ford's. They're a perfect fit. Crutchfield wants $150 a pair. Carstereoonline.com wants $109 a pair, with free shipping. Consider a modest 4 channel amp to power these speakers if you want them to sound really clean.

Technically, your head unit doesn't have to be replaced in order to achieve good sound. But an aftermarket CD player will give you a lot more system options and functions. Same thing for a head unit, you can find out all the specs on your truck at Crutchfield, buy it elsewhere. (they do have some nice closeout deals on their items though, these closeout special prices are hard to beat) They wanted about $400 for my Pioneer, Cyber Auto Sound.com only wanted $275.

Slide an 8" or 10" sub under the back seat. You can find a good sub for 75-125 dollars. You can get a single box for less than that. Buy a two-channel amp, mount it next to the box under the seat, bridge it, and then knock it til the wheels fall off. If you bargain hunt online for all this crap, you can save a lot of cash.

All this will give you a really good sounding system. That's just my theory though... If you have any specific questions, lemme know. Always glad to help.

Last edited by Kompressor; 02-17-2002 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:46 PM
Talking

I agree with both of the guys above. It is almost mandatory that you replace your factory speakers. You'll notice a world of difference if you do this. Add a quality amp, and a decent sub and you'll find yourself worrying about rush hour traffic less.

I've made a couple of mods to mine. Check out my signature and link below.

Good Luck,
JB

Old 02-23-2002, 09:44 PM
Talking IT is finished

Let me begin by saying thanks to all who offered their input.

Today I purchased my sound system.
Here is what I ended up with.

Head Unit : Alpine CDA 7977

Speakers : 4 Kicker 5x7 2002 hi power K57's

Amplifier: Alpine 5 channel mrvf357 V-12 mounted in driver side rear pannel

Subwoofer: Kicker 8" VR Sub2 dvc in a custom built box under driver side passenger seat

Since I am inept at all this stereo stuff I am having it professionally installed on Monday. I will report back after it is in and will post some pics .

let me know what cha think

thanks

Mike

Old 03-24-2002, 09:48 PM
JBinSD, how on earth did you get those amps mounted IN to the back seat? That looks really awesome, but it worries me at the same time. Does it heat up the seat? Is there enough venting to get the heat off the amp? How much cushion did you remove, and when you're sitting in the back seat, can you feel it?
Man, I have never seen anything like that, it looks really tight. Kudos on a kick butt system man.
Whenever I get tired of the factory system (probably I'll get real tired right around the time I start working this summer =), I'll probably stick in an Alpine head unit, Fosgate amps and 2 10" Fosgate subs I have hanging around at my house. I've already got MDF in my garage to build the box with.
When I build the sub box, should I make it ported? It'll be under the back seat, although putting it behind like you had it would be cool as well. Also, what brand should I replace the factory 5x7's with? I've bought Cerwin-Vegas and they sound really good, I've also bought bought Blaupunkts and they sounded good. However, I ended up breaking my Blaupunkts when I was messing with them. Long story short, the tweeters stuck up way too high and in my Toyota Camry, when I was re-wiring, I broke the voice coils on accident. Something caught on the tweeters and they pulled all the way to the bottom and broke the voice coils ... So, I ended up just buying cheap Sony 6x9's instead. Not what I wanted, but hey, they fit ...
Anyways, what brand do you prefer when it comes to the 5x7's? I'm thinking component speakers for the front and mid-range/tweeter speakers for the back.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know where a good place to buy the JLaudio stealthboxes are? I don't need the speaker for it, as I already have the same one that comes in it. This is the part number. SB-F-RTRKCTR. It is the one for the rear console in the King Ranch and HD.

Also, if you are interested, there is currently an auction for the JLaudio stealthbox for the front console on ebay. If you wanted that one, the box is really cheap. He put the wrong picture up. The picture is of the one I want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755

Quick Reply: Need some sound system advice