Big sub woofers and sound quality ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big sub woofers and sound quality ???

mSaLL or anyone ?

Okay so, after nearly 3 years with the same setup, I finally managed to crack the spider on one of my 12" Elemental Design subs. Still sounds good "most" of the time, but on fast hits {bass drums and such} it pops a little, which bugs the $#!+ out of me.

Sure, I could have it repaired, but I'm getting a little bored with my current setup anyway.

I have plenty of space, to build a box of up to 8 cu ft, after speaker displacement, and porting.
So, I have almost decided to go with a pair of these >
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-469

Now, here's the things to consider;

First off, although I do listen to a fair amount of techno / heavy / deep bass music, I also listen to a lot of rock, alternative, etc, etc, etc.

Secondly, as far as subwoofers go, these particular Daytons are known to be very musical, while not necessarily the "loudest" subs on the market. (not designed for single frequency fart boxes)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still, even with all of that said, and even with the enclosure designed / tuned for max SQ, rather than max SPL's, how well do you think these 15"s will do against my 12" Elemental Design 12"s (which were also more of an SQ sub, than a max SPL sub.... and I had them in the proper enclosure for SQ as well)

Oh, and one other thought >
Although I feel very competent at designing / building ported enclosures, and have never run anything but, I wonder if putting these 15"s in a sealed enclosure, would "tighten them up" to the point that the SQ could be compared more closely to that of my 12"s in a ported enclosure ? ....or would this just be apples to oranges ?

Heck, the enclosure for these 15"s sealed, is so small, I could easily run four 15"s ......if somebody wanted to buy them for my poor ****, anyway LOL

Fish

Old 07-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

"No replacement for displacement." The 15s will absolutely be louder. A lot louder. The Daytons are nice drivers that feature quality parts designed for lower distortion. Not as much output as some other 15s, but if ported it will surely still be overkill for just about anyone.

If you really want to step into the SQL world, I'd grab a pair of TC Sounds LMS-R 15s or Exodus Audio Tempest X2 when they are available again. These are the ultimate SQL woofers IMO. Huge xmax for ridiculous output, but also distortion reducing motors (XBL for tempest, LMS for the TC), shorting rings, lots of copper, quality soft parts etc for super low distortion even at high excursion. Go big or go home, save up a few more pennies and grab those. You can use them sealed for more SQ as well which is what I would do. These drivers have so much linear displacement that even sealed its going to be louder than your previous setup.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:36 PM
TC LMS-R FTW! I have 12's sealed and they are low end beast and have nice clean output!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks guys.

Yea', I've looked at those TC subs before, and I don't doubt they are bad a$$ ! But then, for nearly 3 X's the price of the Daytons, they had better be !

I'm just hoping the Dayton 15"s are at least "almost" as tight, and clean as my 12" Elemental Designs have been. I'm sure the 15"s will be louder.... and since they really don't need to be that much louder, I might just tune them a little lower. At least to start with, as I've found that it's quite easy to adjust a tuning frequency from lower to higher, by simply cutting off some port length (inside the box) and / or adding some wood blocks to take up space.
But going from a higher tuning frequency to a lower one can be a little more tricky....

Thanks again,
Fish

Old 07-25-2011, 05:09 PM
ive heard those 15''s and they are pretty nice! i guess im just used to my SPL subs

Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I love my Dayton HO 10's. I'm sure they are nothing compared to their 15" big brothers though!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah well honestly i would rather go big or go home. i have a 15'' RE audio SEx and it pounds like no other! but also its more SPL but soon i want to jump to a 18'' Fi Btl! but 15s are amazing subs

Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks again guys.

MJM, I guess I'm guilty of "wanting it all" (but never able to afford it)

I'm always dreaming about a system in which I had a couple (or more) 18" pro series subs > but crossed over very low, and in a huge, ported enclosure, so all they had to do was move TONS of air. Then, to "also" have six or eights, 8"s or 10"s, grabbing just a little higher frequency, and in a sealed enclosure, for playing super tight guitar, a kick drums......

And of course 16 or 20 mids / highs all around the front of the cab

Finally, 10 to 20 Kw of power, and I'd be all set

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But for now, just a couple of Dayton 15" HO's, and about 900 wt RMS to push them.

Peace,
Fish

Quick Reply: Big sub woofers and sound quality ???