Speaker Question - Please Advise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Question - Please Advise!

I recently purachsed a 2010 F-150 4-door Lariat Crew Cab. With that being said, I have the model that does NOT have the Navigation system or the Sony audio system.

I was pretty disappointed with the stock system and am looking to replace the factory speakers in all 4 doors and possibly add some tweeters. Question No. 1, does anyone know if all 4 speakers are 6X8's? Secondly, what brand/style would you recommend for a quality sound with some bass? Do I need to make sure the speakers are not more than a certain depth? I realize that 6X8's are not going to have the 'bump' of a subwoofer, but I am just looking for a good quality system with a little thump to it.

Also, would you recommend pushing them with an amp or the factory head unit? If I do run them through the head unit, is there some form of Ford adaptor I need to purchase in order to not splice into the trucks original wiring? If not, what kind of amp and power do you recommend?

Thank you for any information and recommendations you can provide.

Andrew

Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Yes, all four are 6x8"/5x7" speakers. I recommend searching info and components on www.crutchfield.com for answers to your questions.

A great place to purchase equipment.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
I've got an 08 Screw and put in Sony DB's. Components in the front doors and coaxial in the back. I have the stock sub so I wasn't too concerned with thump from the speakers. If your question about the adaptors pertains to the speakers, ordering through Crutchfield will get you the correct adaptors at no extra cost.

Amp- this is your prefference. But you'll need to "create" your own wiring harness, unless you put in an aftermarket HU.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i bought 2 sets of infinity 6x8 speakers and am running those with a jbl 4 channel amp. Couldnt be more satisfied. These infinity's have the tweeter on a swivel so you can adjust the direction they fire. Also they have i larger rubber surround or something that allows for more excursion. At least thats what the manual said haha. Set the HP filter on the amp and i can turn these things up pretty much as loud as i want without them distorting to terribly. I had some pioneers in there before. I think pioneers give you great bang for the buck. The only reason i got the infinity's is because they were on sale buy on pair get the second half off.

personally i wouldnt replace the door speakers without puting an amp on them. I dont feel that you get that much of a difference by just changing the speakers. I first just replaced my door speakers with the pioneers on the factory deck. I just didnt feel that there was that much difference. Maybe a little more "clean" sounding but thats about it. It pretty much snowballed from there. got a 4 channel amp. then got an aftermarker HU. Then got subs and amp. Of course thats just my opinion

Last edited by BeauFlex; 01-28-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:24 PM
cadence zrs series are a good choice but there power hungry you will deffinantly need an amp preferably a good one with its own built in crossover and freq controls on it

Old 01-28-2011, 04:25 PM
alpine and jbl are good choices to. mb quart had the number 1 mid driver in the nation 2010

Old 01-28-2011, 04:29 PM
remember 6x8 and 5x7 are the same size and holes line up with 6.5 speaker sets so its very easy to convert over to a 6.5 and ever award givin for best sound is always a 6.5 component

Old 01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
www.sonicelectronix.com , http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/ , ebay is also a good place to look alot of wholesalers will liquidate there inventory to make room for newer models and all inventory will have a 1 year factory warrenty and alot of times its even cheaper than wholesale price to dealers

Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisj_1986
remember 6x8 and 5x7 are the same size and holes line up with 6.5 speaker sets so its very easy to convert over to a 6.5 and ever award givin for best sound is always a 6.5 component
I did not know you could put a 6.5 component in place of the 6x8. Looks like i will be getting a new set of speakers this weekend

Ive got 2 pairs of pioneers and soon one pair of infinity 6x8's. anyone want em

Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much do you have to spend ? it would be best to get a amp and a set of speakers.. i would get one nice set for the front.. then add some to the back later if you want.. but i would not worry to much about the back... there is a ton of good speakers out there.. if we know how much you have to spend we could show you the nicest ones in your price range..

Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 PM
First of all, thank you for your replies. I was looking to spend no more than about $1,800, drive-out. I have decided to go ahead and put an amp on them just havent decided on brands yet. I went to Car Toys over the weekend and listened to some Focal speakers hooked up with a Fosgate 10' sub. Those things can scream with the best of them, but I am kind of wanting a sense of hearing when I get older I'm not looking to impress anyone 300 yards down the street or shake every single one of my neighbors windows if you know what I mean. I just want something that sounds good inside the truck that has some thump to it.

Secondly, starting off I do not think I want to add a sub. With that being said, do you recommend getting a 5 or 6 channel amp just in case I choose to go that route down the road? Or do you recommend getting a second amp for any future subs?

The quote I got from Car Toys was nearly $3,000. I think I can get the sound I am looking for for hundreds, if not over $1,000 less.

Once again, thank you so much for your input. Any suggestions Millertime?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a set of Focal KRX2.. they are good sounding, but they are spendy i payed like 800.00 for them... but anyway... right now SSA has Bravox speakers on sale, all the guys i know who have bought them have nothing but good to say about them, and right now you can get them for unreal prices. if i was looking for some new speakers that is what i would buy.. at the bottom of this i will post a link to them.. for 1800 you can have a really good sounding system, but to get some bass that so your system sounds right ( Full ) you really should have a sub.. but i mean a sound quality sub, not just boom boom boom.. i have had so many subs. rockford, alpine, most the top ones you would go in to like car toys and find.. and most of them just go boom boom boom and shake your truck or car.. now i have a SSA Xcon. it will shake my truck like no other.. But it plays all the notes in the bass so that you can hear each note and just makes it so the whole band is there. most the time i have it set so it just sounds super clear in my truck, but if i turn the remote gain **** all the way down you can hear that part of the band just got up and left. . i allso bought 2 SSA Dcons for a Home theater build i did. and for the price i could not belive how good they sound.. but buying some nice stuff is only part of it, half of it is the install.. i will post some links below to what i would buy.. you can get a 10" or 12" Dcon and a amp in a combo kit the sell for 280 or 290 , depends on if you get a ten or a twelve, one ten would give you the right amount bass to make your system have the full sound.. there is so many chocies on amps .. you could buy the ZED Audio Leviathan , which is about the best sounding amp you could buy and it would run you whole system.. i would buy the zed amp.. a set of the Bravox components and a ten inch Dcon .. which would come to 843.00 then buy a sub box that would fit under your rear seat or behind.. not sure which truck modle you have then have it installed nice, and you will have something that will sound super good and have that full sound with out makeing you def. anyway i will send you a pm to

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...Leviathan.html

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s.../Bravox-Audio/

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...7B47%7DS4.html

Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
you can get the sound you want for less than $500 you just gota know where to buy if you lived in texas i could tell you where to go wholesalers that are open to public are the best places

Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 PM
I do live in Texas, Houston area.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm in the DFW area, any advice?

Quick Reply: Speaker Question - Please Advise!