factory sub replacement/drop in

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
factory sub replacement/drop in

hey guys i got a 2008 king ranch super crew with the factory navigation and the stock subwoofer under the back seat. the door speakers sound alright i guess for stock and i dont have time to mess with them yet. but as far as the sub goes i would like to replace it. i would rather just do a drop in instead of building a whole new box and this and that. i would probably just use the factory amp as well. i'm at school tossing this idea around (studying real hard of course. lol) so i havent went and measure the speaker or anything like that. but does anybody know what size the sub is? and i run kicker for all my subs and amps and use alpine for door speakers. but if anybody knows of a sub i could just drop in there and work let me know. preferrably kicker. lol anything should sound better than the factory one!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The factory sub is an 8" with only 3.5" of mounting depth. A kicker CVT is a perfect fit. You can also use a CVR but you will need a 3/4" spacer ring to get the needed clearence in the factory box. If you want to improve the SQ and keep the stock nav, then you need to upgrade to aftermarket amps and a sound processor. The factory sub is castrated and will not sound any better by just upgrading the speaker itself, been there done that. I found out the hard way, I replaced my factory deck with a kenwood in dash nav setup and still had the stock sub in place and it sounded awesome, I couldn't believe how much it thumped once the factory deck was out of the picture. If you decide to go the sound processor route, the four door speakers are line level and are amplified by the head unit while the sub has its own amp and it uses pre level or rca inputs.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:30 AM
i've never messed with a sound processor. what does it do? and is hard to install?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM
I have the factory nav as well and wanted to do just what your thinking with another drop in, in place of the stocker. Went a different route with 2 kicker 10cvt's in a foxbox with a kicker zx750. Needless to say my truck pounds now. Back on the subject of a drop in though. I'd def at least go with a dif amp. That stock 50 watt is junk. How much money are you looking to spend. And just a fyi all I had to add was a Hi Low converter to get everything running.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by MRLSU2U
I have the factory nav as well and wanted to do just what your thinking with another drop in, in place of the stocker. Went a different route with 2 kicker 10cvt's in a foxbox with a kicker zx750. Needless to say my truck pounds now. Back on the subject of a drop in though. I'd def at least go with a dif amp. That stock 50 watt is junk. How much money are you looking to spend. And just a fyi all I had to add was a Hi Low converter to get everything running.
congrats on the kicker system. i have a 750 as well but to two 12 inch cvrs. alright i'll look into a fox box and the hi low converter, the 50 watt amp might be just what i need to power my two pa speakers in the grill of my 04 more disturbing the peace tickets to come! haha

Quick Reply: factory sub replacement/drop in