mSaLL150 / Stormsearch - Recommendations two ID10D4 vs two SI MKIII

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mSaLL150 / Stormsearch - Recommendations two ID10D4 vs two SI MKIII

mSall and Stormsearch,

I have read everything I can but figured I would ask those who know.

Please understand that I am serious and any and all advice offered will not be wasted. I realize that this is all very subjective and that everyone has their own opinions but I can think of no other advice that would be as valued as yours.

If needed my install log can be viewed here. Both of you have previously left positive comments but it might help in case you want to know what I have to work with.

I have a 2010 SCREW. Currently I am running a single Image Dynamics ID10D4 at 2 ohm in a sealed supercrew box. It is being powered by a Kicker 500.1 with a 657 watt at 2 ohm birthsheet.

I am seriously considering going with 2 subs. I was thinking about two ID10D4s but the MKIII really intrigues me? My goal is even louder, deeper, and cleaner sound. While I am no longer "to young to care" and more in the realm of "old enought to know better" I really like that really deep sound that you feel in you chest. Right now I feel it in my back but I want more. I know, it is a sickness.

What would be ya'll recommendation? Two ID10D4s or two MKIII? If I go with two subs I will be replacing my current Kicker 500.1 with a Sundown 1000d/1200d. The reason is that with dual subs both at 4 ohm dual voice coils I would be at either 4ohm or 1 ohm. I don't want to pay for that kind of 4 ohm power so 1 ohm stable is what I would go with. The Kicker is not 1 ohm stable and the Sundowner is and has a really good rep on DIYMA.

Is that two much amp for the MKIIIs? How much are ya'll running to your MKIIIs. I figure I will have lots of headroom and that is fine by me.

If the dual ID10D4 is the prefered choice then I would probably go with another supercrews prefab box. They seem to be just right for the ID10s. If the MKIIIs are the ticket then I think Stormsearch has talked me into attempting my own box even though I am not much of a carpenter. I might even be able to get 1 cube ft under the 60 section of back seat and still have room for my golf shoes.

Anyway, thank you for any recommendations/advice ya'll would be willing to offer.

Todd

Old 12-16-2010, 01:05 AM
si IMO, neo mag motors have more motor force, ive never heard the SI but ive heard theyre very impressive

Old 12-16-2010, 02:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I have used every setup you speak of (single 10, dual 10s, and dual SI BMs).

My dual 10 setup was a pair of Adire Kodas, some XBL tens with high excursion that would likely be cleaner and have slightly more output than the dual ID 10s you are considering. I loved the Kodas, excellent subwoofers. But dual 10s only have about a ~3-4 dB output gain over a single 10.

Moving from the 2 10s to the 2 SI BMs was a night and day difference. Low frequency extension is FAR better with the 12s, as well as total overall output. If you can afford to do the SIs, I promise you nothing will beat them for an underseat setup without a seat lift. Clean, flat response with authority that blends right into the soundstage even crossed as high as 100Hz. As far as power, I run them with a Cadence iA7 at 1 ohm, and that amp benched at 1225 watts RMS. The Sundown you are looking at should be perfect.

If you join DIYMA.com and look around, there are members in your area using the BMs who I am sure would be willing to give you a demo.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want louder, going from a single 10 to dual 10's and then to dual 12's are significant differences. If want to build your own box, then I would definitely push you into the SI's. I'm pushing my single with an Audison LRX 1.400, 650 Watts @ 2 ohm. I have the gains set at about 80% but I use a remote bass **** which then sets it from 0 - 80% and usually I have it around 50% gain overall. I've pushed it once, it was way too loud for me and items in my arm rest were making alot of noise.

When I was setting the cut-off frequencies of my SI is when I was blown away at the quality of this shallow. I started with a 17Hz test tone and this baby just hummed, I could feel and see the displacement. I've been involved with about 10 or 11 installs, 4 of which were ported systems. This single in a sealed box was playing a lower tone and handling it better than any other sealed setup and would rival one ported setup (though it was not setup right obviously). I hate rap, but once in a while I hit that fun button to get those nasty lows and it is impressive. The guys who I've been showing this and comparing with their installs are overly impressed with just a single. One guy ditched his system for SI's and another guy is doing the same as you coming this spring since he is ordering a 2011. The '09's and later with the load flat floor make it easier to make your own box, not having to deal with that center hump.

With dual 12's, not only will you be able to get loud but have significant sound quality. I have 3 other guys asking for my box dimensions. I'll put them up in a new thread and post here when I get them. It won't be until this weekend since it is 7 °F outside right now and truck goes into the shop on Monday to get fixed.

Your box can affect your setup though if not done properly so just keep that in mind. I lined mine with fiber insulation and finished stuffing it with poly, and keeping that preferred air space. I agree, the Sundown will be a good fit.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Keep in mind you won't be able to get NEW SI's for like 5 months =( But then they'll be Mk4's

Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lstruck
Keep in mind you won't be able to get NEW SI's for like 5 months =( But then they'll be Mk4's
Yeah that does suck but it at least that would let my wife forget about what has already been done.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey Todd, see post:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sp...ml#post4429633

to get my sub box dimensions and pic's

Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Stormsearch, in case you haven't been told lately, you rock.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Of course two MKIII showed up on DIYMA yesterday and sold almost immediately. However, I was late to that party.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Finally, I just bought a MKIII on Diyma. Was able to only get one for now still looking for another.

mSaLL,
I can't tell in your install thread, is your box dual chamber or one? Does it really matter?

Also, I know you don't exactly love Sundown. I believe you stated that they are not used much in the SQ world.

I was loooking at a Sundown SAX-1200D but I have recently come across Massive Audio and I am beginning to really like the D 2400.http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/pr...cat=251&page=1

Which one would you prefer or do you have a different recommendation.

I am trying to do this within a budget.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Sundown's class D subwoofer amplifiers are perfectly fine. They are quality units, just a bit pricey for a typical class D that does rated power. You won't really notice a sound difference between the two. My only concern with Sundown is their class A/B stuff which I feel just don't perform up to par with other amps costing less.

The Massive amp costs a decent bit, but it has a super compact size which will make it easy to install. Really, both amps will get the job done easily. If you are on a budget, look at this one. Shares the same board and similar internals to my Cadence (which benched 20% more power than rated): http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=26

As for my box, its separate chambers. Its a good idea to separate the chambers with a sealed box. If you have a common chamber and one sub suddenly craps out, the other sub will instantly be seeing double the airspace for a single driver which reduces power handling substantially and you will surely damage the second speaker too. My box is a POS that I just slapped together. It sounds fantastic but looks horrible, I need to build a new one that looks half decent. :o

Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
I have a sundown SAE1200D the previous model before the SAX and I love the amp. Works great and way under rated for what they say they are. I took advantage of the sundown trade in program a few year ago Jacob was running and only paid $100 bucks for mine. Great customer service as well Jacob (the owner) usually answers the phones personally. Honestly you aren't going to be able to tell a difference in the sq of the sub with that amp. They aren't horrible by any means. Now if you were buying say some cheap ol' ma audio amp or something then I would definitely say you'd be able to tell a difference. But, sundown makes a very quality product you wont be disappointed at all. Sundown and SI used to even offer package deals together I think some sites still offer them as a matter of fact.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Sundown's class D subwoofer amplifiers are perfectly fine. They are quality units, just a bit pricey for a typical class D that does rated power. You won't really notice a sound difference between the two. My only concern with Sundown is their class A/B stuff which I feel just don't perform up to par with other amps costing less.

The Massive amp costs a decent bit, but it has a super compact size which will make it easy to install. Really, both amps will get the job done easily. If you are on a budget, look at this one. Shares the same board and similar internals to my Cadence (which benched 20% more power than rated): http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=26

As for my box, its separate chambers. Its a good idea to separate the chambers with a sealed box. If you have a common chamber and one sub suddenly craps out, the other sub will instantly be seeing double the airspace for a single driver which reduces power handling substantially and you will surely damage the second speaker too. My box is a POS that I just slapped together. It sounds fantastic but looks horrible, I need to build a new one that looks half decent. :o
You were reading my mind about the AQ amp. I went out to get a sandwich and was going to update my post with that exact same one when I got back.

I am not really concerned about the space so I guess either a Sundown or the AQ. I will wait and see if I can find either used. Oh I also need to find another MKIII on the used market as well.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 AM
[QUOTE= Oh I also need to find another MKIII on the used market as well.[/QUOTE]

hey langlowe i got one bnib. i got it last year on the first preorder. i haven't installed it yet because i like my sundown e8s too much to take them out. pm me if interested.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Whoo Hooo just got number two. Thank you papichulo.

Now to get them in my hands and build a box. Ohh I have to get a different amp for these bad boys.

Quick Reply: mSaLL150 / Stormsearch - Recommendations two ID10D4 vs two SI MKIII