Questions about speaker wiring on 2005 SCAB

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about speaker wiring on 2005 SCAB

1) What is the stock speaker wire gauge from the HU to the speaker(s)

2) From what I can gather, it is next to near impossible to run new wire through the door boots. It appears the harness(es) running through the door do so via connectors, leaving us no way to run new wire w/o drilling new holes......my question is, is this a true statement

3) Is the stock speaker wire good enough to handle 50 watts @ 4 ohms

4) Also, do I need these adapters to install my new speakers http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-5600.html???? I am assuming the stock wiring already has these.....assuming thats true, all I need to do is possibly splice in new spade connectors at the and for the new speakers, or solder.

Last edited by havhon; 10-19-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm using the same adapters in my truck, they allow you to plug right into the factory speaker harness in the doors. I'm also running a 50w x4 amp thru the factory speaker wiring and have no problem with it.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by havhon
1) What is the stock speaker wire gauge from the HU to the speaker(s)

2) From what I can gather, it is next to near impossible to run new wire through the door boots. It appears the harness(es) running through the door do so via connectors, leaving us no way to run new wire w/o drilling new holes......my question is, is this a true statement

4) Also, do I need these adapters to install my new speakers http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-5600.html???? I am assuming the stock wiring already has these.....assuming thats true, all I need to do is possibly splice in new spade connectors at the and for the new speakers, or solder.
1.) I believe it's 18-22GA somewhere in that area.
2.) It's actually quite simple - just get a fish tape and pull it through. A home remedy is to take the long plastic pole used to open mini blinds and fish that through - it's pretty rigid, but very flexable. I have two sets of 12 ga speaker wiring going through both of mine.
3.) Yes, but as a matter of personal preference I always run my own speaker wire when coming from an amp.
4. No, I ditched the factory ones, just buy the female connectors and crimp them onto your speaker wire.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:22 AM
I used a snake to fish some string through both rubber boots in the front doors a few days ago. Took me about 10 mins total. On the driver side I had to unplug a wiring harness that was in my way. It's not a piece of cake, but not a deal breaker either. You just need a snake with some rigidity to it and some patience.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by havhon
1)

I'm using the adapters in my 07 and running 100w/chan amp through them. No problems at all and I drive everything pretty hard.

Your speakers will have spade connectors on them so the install should be plug and play.

Brad

Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by jhthibod
1.) I believe it's 18-22GA somewhere in that area.
2.) It's actually quite simple - just get a fish tape and pull it through. A home remedy is to take the long plastic pole used to open mini blinds and fish that through - it's pretty rigid, but very flexable. I have two sets of 12 ga speaker wiring going through both of mine.
3.) Yes, but as a matter of personal preference I always run my own speaker wire when coming from an amp.
4. No, I ditched the factory ones, just buy the female connectors and crimp them onto your speaker wire.
Originally Posted by dabonemachinist
I used a snake to fish some string through both rubber boots in the front doors a few days ago. Took me about 10 mins total. On the driver side I had to unplug a wiring harness that was in my way. It's not a piece of cake, but not a deal breaker either. You just need a snake with some rigidity to it and some patience.
From what I know of it, there are two different plants for these trucks. One plant uses a rubber door boot , the other uses a molex plug with no extra room for additional wires. There are 4 empty pins in the plug that you can drill out to accomodate speaker wire (i think Msall did a write up on this).

Quick Reply: Questions about speaker wiring on 2005 SCAB