Need advice on an aftermarket sound system.....JVC and CDT

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on an aftermarket sound system.....JVC and CDT

OK, so after plenty of research and debate, I have settled on the main components of what I would like to get for my sound system,

FWIW, I am starting with stock speakers and some pos Sony Xplod deck deck that was in the truck when I got it. I contemplated replacing the Xplod deck I currently have with a stock HU and doing the iSimple thing. However, buying the stock HU (used on ebay) and an iSimple was looking at running me about $250. So here is what I am thinking about instead of the stock HU + iSimple......

JVC KW-XR810 - http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KWXR...0.html?tp=5684 $299 @ Crutchfield, approx $220 anywhere else on the web. This seems to have all of the features I am looking for. I will more than likely add the HD kit as well, that adds $90 to the cost.

CDT 6EX - http://www.woofersetc.com/p3066/CL6E...l-Speakers.htm - I have read some good reviews from several sources, could be propaganda, I dunno. They have a neo version which has a thinner profile - http://www.woofersetc.com/p3365/CLE6...l-Speakers.htm. The std 6EX's are 2.5" deep, the neo's are 2.187. I have read some reports about some 6.5" speakers needing riser kits.....would either of these depths need risers??? The std's are $100 a pair, the neos are $120 a pair.

Here are my questions....

1) How well will these speakers perform on their own (ie. no sub and no dedicated tweets)???

2) Will these speakers benefit greatly if I power them with an external amp or will the JVC HU be plenty??

If so, is the cost of adding the amp, wiring kit, etc, etc worth the extra gain in performance???

My goal is to keep things as simple as I can and cost low. I would like to do some sound dampening in the cabin as well as I am sure that will help things as well. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by havhon; 10-18-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Your better off skipping the JVC and CDX. bad head units.

Check out better ones and get reviews from places like Amazon.

As for Speakers... check out Memphis Car Audio. Awesome speakers!

Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM
CDT makes badass speakers. Period. As far as full definition, I would recommend a set of Diamond Audio components. I have run everything from Pioneer to Infinity to Diamond to CDT and many more. Diamond (hex series) and CDT are by far the best in my opinion. Everyone has their own taste, but once you hear high quality speakers, the rest just sounds like crap. Whether you get components or coaxials, make sure they have silk dome tweeters. Silk tweeters have a more natural sound to them IMO.

As far as an amp, it is DEFINATELY worth the money. Even if you can't afford a nice audiophile amp, consider the source of your sound right now. It's a tiny amp that is stuffed into the same heatsink as a cd player, radio, and all the other gizmos that they are cramming into head units these days. Even the smallest of amps will be a big improvement over your head units built in amp.

As for sound deadening, it won't make much improvement to your sound until you amp your speakers and start adding subs. It will however improve road noise and other ambient sounds that you normally would hear coming from outside the cab.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 AM
BTW, those CDT 6EX are what I have been running in the rear doors of my Explorer and are gonna be swapped over to the rear doors of my F-150. I'm running CDT components in the front door.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I wouldn't call CDT or Diamond the best. But for a low budget set of passive component speakers they are certainly quality products. Some people do prefer the laid back sound of silk tweeters, some prefer the detail you get from a metal dome up high...its all personal preference and I recommend auditioning some speakers if you can to see what you personally like best. I would absolutely put an amplifier on them, and if you can afford it I'd do some door treatments if that is where you plan to mount them. Search the HOW TO forum, I have a little tutorial that might give you some ideas.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:00 AM
I picked up a Rockford Fosgate Prime R300-4 amp on eBay for $87 http://www.woofersetc.com/p8326/R300...-Amplifier.htm I know its not the best amp, but prob one of the "best" budget amps out there. I def prefer silk tweets; I like it smooth, not rough

Old 10-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
I wouldn't call CDT or Diamond the best. But for a low budget set of passive component speakers they are certainly quality products. Some people do prefer the laid back sound of silk tweeters, some prefer the detail you get from a metal dome up high...its all personal preference and I recommend auditioning some speakers if you can to see what you personally like best. I would absolutely put an amplifier on them, and if you can afford it I'd do some door treatments if that is where you plan to mount them. Search the HOW TO forum, I have a little tutorial that might give you some ideas.
I agree completely. No doubt theres better speakers on the market. But, for his application, I would consider them the best.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by havhon
I picked up a Rockford Fosgate Prime R300-4 amp on eBay for $87 http://www.woofersetc.com/p8326/R300...-Amplifier.htm I know its not the best amp, but prob one of the "best" budget amps out there. I def prefer silk tweets; I like it smooth, not rough
That amp will be a HUGE step up from your Sony head unit's internal amp. Plus, that amp won't need a very expensive wiring job to get it hooked up. Just a simple amp install kit will do the trick, and you will be very pleased with it I'm sure. Now that you are going to beef up your signal, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put some kind of damper in your door like you mentioned before.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 PM
ANY amp would be a huge step up from the internal amp in any headunit. If you're considering upgrading speakers, do yourself the favor of adding power. It doesn't have to be much. Even a real amp rated the same as your HU is going to make a big difference.

As far as CDT speakers, I've been using them since late '03. Great detail, good tonality, respectable midbass in a proper install. I like the lack of a fatiguing sound the most. They really NEED a sub to sound right though.

Quick Reply: Need advice on an aftermarket sound system.....JVC and CDT