Speaker Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AZFX4
I am planning on getting a double din DVD HU in the near future but I thought I would start out with the speakers first.
Good idea so long as you don't expect miracles. While aftermarket speakers should give some improvement in clarity and a little better overall response, gains will be marginal until you amp them.

Brad

Old 04-23-2010, 04:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by el_chupo_
IMO, subs dont go in doors.

You cannot effectively make the doors stiff enough on the outside, and sealed enough on the inside (against the skin) to get effective sub-bass. Not to say that it cannot be done to satisfaction (I have seen some thin subs in the doors of a Toyota, but they built a FG enclosure for the door), and you may not need/want the volume or output that I do, etc, but not worth it for me.

If you wanted to try it then I would start with the Tang Band 6x9 or Genesis 6x9 sub, or a Tang Band 6.5" neo sub from Parts Express. The 6.5" is impressive, but gets NOTICEABLY better with a good enclosure.
I agree with this. If trying for the doors, maybe look at the exodus Anarchy 6.5" woofer in a custom enclosure for doors. With 13mm xmax and a xbl motor, your could get some clean, decent bass output out of the doors.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for everyones help. Im really just looking to get some better sound than what I have now (stock) for a decent price, I just dont want to lose anything (bass) in the process. If you think that replacement speakers (now) and a new HU (later) will be a noticeable improvement than I think thats what im looking for. I think I have decided to go with the infinity 6829s with the built in crossover. (still not sure what thats for) for my front doors for now. Is there anything else I will need? (adapters)?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I still think you'd be a lot happier with the components, but no matter what you put in, your bass response will improve over stock.

The adapters are optional (you can just cut the stock harness and crimp for free) they are metra part number 72-5600.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by AZFX4
I think I have decided to go with the infinity 6829s with the built in crossover. (still not sure what thats for)
The crossover functions like a proportioning valve in your brake system. Low and mid-range frequencies go to the larger speaker, high frequencies to the tweeter. It's an optimization thing - limiting each part of the speaker to the frequency range it can more efficiently reproduce keeps distortion to a minimum.

Speaker harness adapters are $13 a pair at Best Buy. Plug an play. Also gives you the ability to quickly and easily reinstall the factory speakers should you decide to sell.

Be sure to secure all your wiring lest the window mechanism catch a dangly and rip the circuit board off your new speaks.

Brad

Old 04-23-2010, 01:45 PM

ok thanks guys.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by Brad Johnson
The crossover functions like a proportioning valve in your brake system. Low and mid-range frequencies go to the larger speaker, high frequencies to the tweeter. It's an optimization thing - limiting each part of the speaker to the frequency range it can more efficiently reproduce keeps distortion to a minimum.

Speaker harness adapters are $13 a pair at Best Buy. Plug an play. Also gives you the ability to quickly and easily reinstall the factory speakers should you decide to sell.

Be sure to secure all your wiring lest the window mechanism catch a dangly and rip the circuit board off your new speaks.

Brad

A good explanation of a crossover.

In the case of most 6x9's, however, they normally only crossover the tweeters with an inline cap, limiting bass frequencies from the smaller speaker. most companies will let the actual woofer part (the 6x9 cone itself) simply roll off naturally (play as high as it can, no cutoff on the frequencies) which *could* cause some breakup or resonance in the cone.

Also, it has been a while since I bought drop in speakers, but IIRC my last set of pioneers (bought in 01 or 02) had a harness in the package so I didnt have to buy the adapters. But they are worth it to many for the reasons Brad listed above.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
AZFX4,

I put the 6832's in my truck last week. They are a pretty nice improvement over the stockers with the factory HU. Mines just the single CD baseline unit. I'm doing basically the same as you. Probably gonna order another set of the 6832's or maybe the 682.9's for the front holes. I'll upgrade the HU next, maybe in a couple weeks or so. Then probably add a sub of some sort. Thinking to keep it simple I'll do some sort of powered sub. I'm not looking for monstrous bass, just enough to give it a little punch. I'm way past rattling windows and all that mess.

For what it's worth, I buy most all from Crutchfield. The include all the harnesses, adapters, etc... for the install. I put the foam baffles behind the 6832's when I installed them, but think I'll try the next set without to see what difference, if any, they make.

Good luck, keep us posted.

David

Old 04-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by el_chupo_
A good explanation of a crossover.

Also, it has been a while since I bought drop in speakers, but IIRC my last set of pioneers (bought in 01 or 02) had a harness in the package so I didnt have to buy the adapters.
My Pio's, listed as "Direct Replacement" (even had Ford/Mazda embossed on the speaker trim ring) didn't include adapters. Guess it's a some-do-some-don't thing.

Brad

Old 04-29-2010, 07:04 AM
Im in the same boat as OP.
With blown front door speaker.
When I search in cructhfield for the recommended Phoenix Gold RSd 65CS I get this product:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777P65C...S&ssi=0&tp=106

Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put in the infinity 682.9's all the way around in my 2006 F150 a few months ago. I have the stock head unit, not the audiophile system.

I can tell you, the clarity and sound quality is better, the highs are much more crisp. As far as bass, I would say it's about the same as the stock system because you do need ALOT of power to drive the speakers optimally.

I would recomend them, and get the head unit later when you can for the bass. Any aftermarket speaker you get with the stock head unit will be underpowered.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by subnoob
Im in the same boat as OP.
With blown front door speaker.
When I search in cructhfield for the recommended Phoenix Gold RSd 65CS I get this product:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777P65C...S&ssi=0&tp=106
Try google: http://www.google.com/products?q=pho...5cs&hl=en&aq=f

Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 AM

Ok so I was on amazon today and was about to order the infinitys but then I saw these pioneers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-A68...640021&sr=1-27

The prices are close to the same, but im 90% sure when I do get an HU its going to be a pioneer unit. Would it be better with pioneer speakers to match? Maybe ill go down to Bestbuy and see if they have these speakers so I can listen to them.

I just read online that 4 ways produce less bass than a 2 way. Maybe I should go with the infinitys then? I see pioneer has a 3 way? Man im so confused. Im not looking for pounding bass as I know I would need an amp and sub, I would just like a little bump up from what I have now.

Last edited by AZFX4; 04-30-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 AM
As long as you match the speakers to the other speakers your fine. You do not need to match brands between amps, subs, speakers (mids/highs), or head units.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Brand matching isn't necessary. Some do it because that's the way they like. The signal going to the speaker is the same regardless of the brand, with obvious exceptions for quality of said HU, of course. Get the speakers that sound good to you. I'm actually about to order Infinity components for my fronts today. Going with these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086820...cs.html?tp=106

That price is gonna be hard to beat. Now just deciding which 4-channel amp to order.

David

Quick Reply: Speaker Help