Factory sub & amp with aftermarket H/U

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory sub & amp with aftermarket H/U

I’m trying to install a Clarion CX609 in my truck. I’d like to be able to use the factory amp and subwoofer (for now anyways). I found a harness kit that provides the RCA jacks I need to connect the Clarion to the wiring harness. It even includes two resistors to make a voltage divider for the enable signal.

Looking at the Ford wiring diagrams it looks like there was a mono signal going out to the amp from the factory HU. Now the harness connector has two RCA jacks but I think only one channel actually has a connection to the amp.

Is my system going to sound lacking only running off one channel? Anyone know of a way to sorta bridge the stereo signals into a mono signal?

thanks

Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't worry about it, the factory amp is a single channel anyway.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Yeah, when I think about it most any music I listen to the low bass stuff is pretty much common to left and the right side so I guess it should sound fine just using one side.

It also seems this Clarion unit has a low pass filter and adjustable output levels so I think this is going to work. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 AM
You are making it more difficult then it needs to be. Plug both of the RCA ends into your headunit, connect amp turn on with your resistor, and call it a day.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I was making it too difficult. I got it hooked up now and it sounds and looks good. My phone wont pair with the deck for some reason but my work phone did no problem and sounds pretty good when making calls.

Quick Reply: Factory sub & amp with aftermarket H/U