please dont tell me my subs are blown

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please dont tell me my subs are blown

A couple of days ago my subs went out and after checking around i figured it was a lose wire for the amp to the subs. After numerous times of re wiring i think my subs are blown but i was seeing if anyone had any insight. Ive checked all fuses and tried different wires from amp to subs. All connections are good and i have power to the amp. I even took it a step further and hooked my brothers subs to my amp and they work. My problem is im having a hard time believe that both subs are blown, but neither one is working. The subs were bridged before and i tried wiring them individually and still nothing. The subs are only about a year old i believe and they are running on a stock head unit with a high to low converter so i find it hard to believe that they would even be pushed to hard of their capabilites. The subs are 2 12" JBL gto touring series and the amp is a profile 1200. My brothers subs are identical just in a 10". Is there something im missing or am i going to have to invest in new subs? Should i take them somewhere to see if they are blown? There is no air movement what so ever. Any and all insight will be greatly appreciated along with ideas of what i should do. Thanks

Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightning Expo
A couple of days ago my subs went out and after checking around i figured it was a lose wire for the amp to the subs. After numerous times of re wiring i think my subs are blown but i was seeing if anyone had any insight. Ive checked all fuses and tried different wires from amp to subs. All connections are good and i have power to the amp. I even took it a step further and hooked my brothers subs to my amp and they work. My problem is im having a hard time believe that both subs are blown, but neither one is working. The subs were bridged before and i tried wiring them individually and still nothing. The subs are only about a year old i believe and they are running on a stock head unit with a high to low converter so i find it hard to believe that they would even be pushed to hard of their capabilites. The subs are 2 12" JBL gto touring series and the amp is a profile 1200. My brothers subs are identical just in a 10". Is there something im missing or am i going to have to invest in new subs? Should i take them somewhere to see if they are blown? There is no air movement what so ever. Any and all insight will be greatly appreciated along with ideas of what i should do. Thanks
Got an ohmmeter? Go get one, lol.

Or quick check: a 9v, 1.5v or a 6v battery across the terminal - if it produces output ( clicks - you may also see the cone moving), you know at least there is a voicecoil with continuity in there. If you get bupkis, an ohmmeter will reveal either open or shorted.

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-17-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your voice coils took a dump or your amp did

Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Its not the amp, but could both subs go out at the same time? Im not really sure what the voice coils are. Are they fixible? What should i do? And i have an ohmeter ill be checking it tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:33 AM
Its not the amp, but could both subs go out at the same time? Im not really sure what the voice coils are. Are they fixible? What should i do? And i have an ohmeter ill be checking it tomorrow.
Fixable, yes. Cost/time effective? Not really.

Both subs may not necessarily be blown. If they are wired in series, the first sub in line from the amp may be blown, which would cause both subs to go out. If they are wired in parallel, then both could possibly be blown.

Do your subs smelt burnt? Did you pull them and check the connections of the wires to the subs themselves? how about from the subs to the back of the cup on the box?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they dont necessarily have to smell burnt but do what Sundevil suggested check all the connections try just hooking one sub up at a time

but from the sound of it one or both of your voice coils have failed my last CV failed with no signs the voice coil just fell apart i took it outta my box and could hear the coil rattling around inside the sub

Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM

Ok so i checked with the ohmmeter and there is plenty of power, hooked each sub up individually directly to the amp and neither sub works. No burnt smell and no rattling. The subs were bridged before. As i said earlier i hooked other subs up to the amp and they work fine. I think im SOL on this one from what you guys are telling me unless there is something else i can try? One of my buddies has 4 kicker comps i may just get off of him with a kicker 4 channel. Im a little disappointed because i really like my JBLs, i thought they had decent sound quality and hit pretty hard, but hey what can you do.

Trending Topics

Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Ok so i checked with the ohmmeter and there is plenty of power, hooked each sub up individually directly to the amp and neither sub works. No burnt smell and no rattling. The subs were bridged before. As i said earlier i hooked other subs up to the amp and they work fine. I think im SOL on this one from what you guys are telling me unless there is something else i can try? One of my buddies has 4 kicker comps i may just get off of him with a kicker 4 channel. Im a little disappointed because i really like my JBLs, i thought they had decent sound quality and hit pretty hard, but hey what can you do.
OK - take this slow. First off, an ohmmeter checks for resitance & continuity, not power. So I'm wondering just what you did there ...

One step at a time.

- disconnect subs.

- across each sub box terminal, apply ohmmeter, using thr lowest resitance range - what is that reading?

- if it's ZERO, your voicecoil is shorted (unlikely as this will trip protection)

- if it's infinite or very high, you need to dissassemble the unit and check the wiring within the box, as the fellas above already stated. Use the ohmmeter to confirm each connection if it isn't already obvious what is wrong by inspection.

- Repeat on the other sub.

This is about as simple as it comes - you need to take a deeeeep breath, and work on yer troubleshooting skills. One. Step. At. A. Time.

Good luck - worst case, new subs are in yer future - look at it as an opporunity to upgrade to better subs. Glass is half-full!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:53 PM

Lol ok I'm not the smartest on this so i didnt know. What i did was hook the subs up directily to the amp and used the ohmmeter at the terminals of the sub. I could not get an exact reading because as the bass hit the reading changed every second. The subs still did not work though. Im not positive if i did this right? Should the reading be fixed or jump around? And I took the subs out of the box and did this so there was no wires going through the box just direct connect from amp to sub. Thanks for your help on walking me through it i really appreciate it, like i said i dont know a whole lot about this so its easy to get flustered. I paid someone to wire it up so its all new to me.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Ok.

Chances are, you are using a multimeter ( ohmmeter, ammeter, and voltmeter in one unit).

DO NOT connect such a meter onto any active powered load while on the ohms function! Similarly, do not connect it across an active load while in the amps function. Either of these actions will let the smoke out of the unit, hence rendering it inoperable (usually fused) The smoke must always remain within, lol. The fact that yer meter is still workin' tells me you just measured the voltage - which is useless in this case, but harmless, lol.

To properly do this, you MUST have your subs disconnected from everything. Just the subs. Sitting in front of you. No amps, no wires, Nada. I see you took them out of their boxes.

Put the meter on the low-range ohms function. Touch the leads together to confirm you see Zero ohms on the display. Good to go. Apply the leads to each sub's terminals. Follow my previously mentioned steps ( I'm too lazy to type 'em again.

If you see anomalous readings on a sub (again as noted previously), you found the bad unit. A good reading wiil be in the single-digit ohms range.

Take yer time. You'll find the problemo, No worries

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-19-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Figured out the problem finally! There is 2 wires in the subs that go from the terminals of the subs intarnally. The negative wire is burnt up on both of them where it soders to the terminal. Anyone ever experience this? Can i just soder them back and good to go? Or are the subs blown because of something? Thanks for everyones help in this thread just a few more question lol

Old 01-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I had a similar problem and after I sodered it back it happened to me again a few weeks down the road. It should work but if you don't soder it well it will pop back off. Just take your time and do it right.

What I did was sodered one wire then let it cool, then took some needle nose pliers and tugged on it gently to make sure that it wasn't going to pop off and if its good then move to the next one.

Hope this is useful,
-TJ

Old 01-20-2010, 07:52 PM

I'm hoping thats the only problem and they're not burnt up. I actually just bought 2 more 12s today off of craigslist so if they work i may be running 4 12s, that might be to much bass though and i would still have to get another amp.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:58 PM
What kind of subs did you pick up?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:07 PM

same exact subs actually, JBL gto touring series with a box for 75. It was a steal. I liked the sound of them and knew what to expect, and they hit so much harder in the bigger box because the box i have mine in is really tiny because i origanally had to fit it behind the 3rd row seat and since then i've taken it out.

Might sell a set but i'm not sure. Don't know if i want to invest in another amp anytime soon, considering i've spent a lot on the lift im putting together.

Quick Reply: please dont tell me my subs are blown