04-08 BM box thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by marcus1033
It is possible to add taller feet. Also if needed, you can put a piece of metal on the seat pan not to cut carpet, hit it with a sledge to give you a little more room. I have read of people doing this after building a tight box, then adding sound deadner and the box not fitting after the deadning. If it was me, I would want atleast 1.25" gap under box and floor. The greater the gap, the less pressure created between floor and woofer. This is what an Image Dynamics tech has told me.
He actually told be between 2-3 inches would be best for the box I was building.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:16 PM
I need to retract my statement about two boxes. After playing around with a volume calculator, it looks like you will have to build one solid box to get the needed volume. It looks like the perfect box for an 04-08 SC for a single new BM would be outside measurements of 3.5 x 18.5 X 27 which equals 0.502 cuft. I didn't realize the box needed to be so long. Must be loosing alot of airspance not being able to put top of box on an angle. I will check the clearance over the entire hump when I get home.
Checked when I got home, actually a 3.5" box should fit nicely under entire seat with the 04-08's.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
ya guys don't worry about the amp wattage so much. I always like to have a little bit of over head with my subs. It's all in the tuning. You could have a kx2500.1 on these things and as long as you have your gain set properly you have nothing to worry about. I'm using my sae1200d so they will be seeing around 1400 or so @1ohm. I thought about buying a prefab box this time since I don't have anytime with work and school but i'll probably end up building it anyways. I see where a bunch of people who tested the BM on diy have been filling their boxes with polyfil, so I will probably do the same. I'm also thinking about making my box two chambers this time but we will see.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jwool15
ya guys don't worry about the amp wattage so much. I always like to have a little bit of over head with my subs. It's all in the tuning. You could have a kx2500.1 on these things and as long as you have your gain set properly you have nothing to worry about. I'm using my sae1200d so they will be seeing around 1400 or so @1ohm. I thought about buying a prefab box this time since I don't have anytime with work and school but i'll probably end up building it anyways. I see where a bunch of people who tested the BM on diy have been filling their boxes with polyfil, so I will probably do the same. I'm also thinking about making my box two chambers this time but we will see.
SI is recommending lining walls with fiberglass insulation and fill middle with polyfill.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SI is recommending lining walls with fiberglass insulation and fill middle with polyfill.
perfect...I have tonnes on the walls of my unfinished basement

Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by IH8ATTN
perfect...I have tonnes on the walls of my unfinished basement
HE, HE, He

Damn, they don't put basements here in Louisiana. Gunna have to go to the store.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I really recommend building your own box or getting one built by a shop. It wont cost much more then you'll pay for a prefab online and it will fit much better. Keep in mind that even though it might not hit the ground at full excursion, the fact that the cone is that close is going to cause a ton of air noise which is a problem I have with my downfiring Adire Kodas at high excursion.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
I really recommend building your own box or getting one built by a shop. It wont cost much more then you'll pay for a prefab online and it will fit much better. Keep in mind that even though it might not hit the ground at full excursion, the fact that the cone is that close is going to cause a ton of air noise which is a problem I have with my downfiring Adire Kodas at high excursion.

the one just posted up is built to order in a sense....its the right amount of cubes for the most part. My only concern is how much space is between the sub and the floor but I am sure it will be fine. I e mailed the guy for some more info on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-F150-SuperC...item53df27fa49

Last edited by IH8ATTN; 01-15-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 PM
I'll probably have the guy that does all the stereo work in all of our cars and boats and such do it. He built my last box and did a great job! It sounded amazing.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 AM
the one just posted up is built to order in a sense....its the right amount of cubes for the most part. My only concern is how much space is between the sub and the floor but I am sure it will be fine. I e mailed the guy for some more info on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-F150-SuperC...item53df27fa49
Well the guy that builds the boxes got back to my questions here is what I asked and what he responded

some questions:

-is the box chambered? I prefer my box to have 2 sperate chambers

-does that tan/beige carpet match the F150 04-08 carpet or atleast close? I'm colour blind...seriously.

-how much space do you have from subwoofer to floor? I am running a pair of SI MKIII shallow sub similar to a JL TW5 (http://stereointegrity.com/bm.php) I am just worried about excursion but I think I will be fine, thanks for your time!

HI, It is separated in middle so each sub has its own chamber.. The carpet is a really close match. Not perfect but everyone that has purchased a tan box before has like the color match. The box has 1 1/4 from box to floor. Tight fit but just isn't much room under there, Seems to work though for most subs that I have ever used.

If anyone is interested that should sum it up...like I said i'll give it a shot if it doesn't work to my liking then i'll build my own box but for the price and what you get I can't say no.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Well i'm glad we have a guinea pig! I am tempted to email supercrew sound and see if I can have them build me a box for 12's. Or I could just use a router and buy their box for the dual 10's and make a few minor adjustments. I do want for my box to have two separate chambers though. I wish I knew a reputable box builder here in the DFW metroplex. I'm sure there's tons around it's just a matter of finding one. The guy that does all of our work is in Lubbock, so it's not really worth the drive.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:35 AM
for 150 bucks I am not scared to make an attempt at science

Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM
What is the difference between the floor and the seat? I am building my own box and could do either one.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
What is the difference between the floor and the seat? I am building my own box and could do either one.
Msall posted it somewhere....I am trying downfire first cuz I sometimes have some ladies in the back so if the subs are up fire I may have to clean my seats more often than needed if you catch my drift...lol

Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Msall posted it somewhere....I am trying downfire first cuz I sometimes have some ladies in the back so if the subs are up fire I may have to clean my seats more often than needed if you catch my drift...lol
Sounds like a terible problem to have. Maybe line the seat pan with dampner.

Anyway, I'm going to start my box build this weekend coming unless the wife has other plans that I don't know about.

Real basic: 3.5 x 18.5 x 27 with a 1/4 spacer. Lined with fiberglass insulation and polyfill.

I'm guessing just plan wall insulation will work.

Quick Reply: 04-08 BM box thread