Sub keeps popping the fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub keeps popping the fuse

Fellas I need help. I recently purchased a 2007 F150 Lariat Super Crew. The previous owner stated that the head unit was replaced by the dealer under warranty, and the sub stopped working sometime after. I noticed the fuse, #38, was blown. I gave it two tries with a new fuse and immediately they popped with no power to the radio. I'm thinking something is grounding out, but I'm hesitant to waste $78/hour on dealer labor while they piddle around looking for a cause. I would like to have a starting point for Bubba Snuffy at the dealership in hopes of reducing my total bill. Any ideas?
Also, I'm not sure if this is a related issue but the VOLUME and SEEK steering wheel controls will sometimes trade functions. What I means is the " - " Vol will actually increase the volume, and the " + " will change the radio source. Gremlins? Thanks guys.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey trace the sub wires to speaker bow to see if there is some kind of short back there... then u can pull the radio out and check the connections in the rear.. to pull it the cover is just held on by snaps and i believe its a 6mm socket for the 4 bolt, be VERY CAREFUL of the clip for the Airbag sensor light on the top... good luck

Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks sooo much!! I 'll do it. I ran the self test in the head unit and the connections all check out okay according to the head unit. I'm not sure how it recognizes the sub with the fuse out of it?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:17 AM
Just because the fuse is out doesnt mean the headunit cant seat it. Youve still got remote wire and the signal wires, not to mention the plug in the back of the radio. Usually when fuses keep popping like that, its usually because of two things. 1) your amp is rated too high for the wire your using, but since this is factory stuff, thats not the case. So im thinking that your constant wire has a cut in the shielding or is pinched somewhere so thats its touching bare metal and blowing the fuse.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:18 AM
^^^x2

Old 08-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks gents!! Looks like I'm gonna rip the inside apart today. What a way to spend a Sunday.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Any luck?

Quick Reply: Sub keeps popping the fuse