Boston Acoustics 6.5, which amp, which other speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boston Acoustics 6.5, which amp, which other speakers?

Hey guys,

Well after spending about a week or so reading threads from '99 to present, I have pretty much decided to replace the front speakers in my 2001 XLT SuperCab with Boston Acoustic 6.5 pro comps. And so I have some questions that I hope you can answer

1.) I need some advice on places to buy mounting brackets for the 5x7/6x8 holes that are in the doors.

2.) I have read alot about the seats affecting the sound quality of the rear speakers ans thus I should only use them for "rear fill". To this end, is using the BA 6.5s back there too overkill and a waste of money? Suggestions on other speakers to use? Should I just go with Polk dx7s or some other BA speaker instead?

3.) Dynamat... how important to use and where to get it for the cheapest price?

4.) I have heard that the BA 6.5s want lots of power. Suggestions on good clean amps to use that won't require a total rewire to a lower gauge? I have heard good things about Precision Power but they seem a little pricey.

5.) If I DO go with 4 BA 6.5s, should I buy a 4 channel amp? If so what power should it be as the speakers are rated at 3 Ohms.

6.) If I go with just the 6.5s up front, and a "rear fill" type speaker for the two back, will it sound like utter hell to power the rears off the stock head unit? Also, how do I install the 2 channel amp to the stock head unit and still use the HU to power the rears?

Sorry for so many questions... I am trying to get all my facts straight before buying all the crap and either installing it myself or having a local pro shop do it with everything I buy.

Thanks and regards,
Jeff in Houston

------------------
* 2001 F-150 XLT SC Silver FS; 4.6L
* 4x4 ORP
* Sport Package
* 3.55 Limited Slip Rear Differential
* Electronic 4-Spd Auto O/D with Electronic Shift on the Fly
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Sport Cloth Captain's Chairs
* Toff spray-in liner (black)
* Westin factory nerf bars (black)
* Xtreme Window tint
* "Premium" Sound System - yeah right... maybe "premium" compared to a Tandy Rat Shack system

Old 04-01-2001, 12:19 AM
Just to add some more info/questions.

I just got back from listening to the BA 5.5 and the Diamond Audio Hex500S. I really liked the tweeter of the Boston Acoustics, but I liked the midbass response of the Diamond Audios. One thing that the salesman told me was that BA really markets their speakers towards people who will be using a sub in their system, thus the emphasis on high freqs. So now I am left with a couple more questions:

1.) Is there a large difference between the 5.5 vs. 6.5 pro comps? Basically the salesperson said it wasn't worth the cost of labor and whatever to try to install the 6.5 in the doors, rather use the 5x7 adapter to install the 5.5s. Thoughts?

2.) How happy are people who just used the Diamond audios without a sub... and what did you replace the factory rears with?

3.) If I do decide to go with the BA 5.5, I am looking for a nice clean sub that fits COMPLETELY under the seat... no protrusions. Space is at a premium back there for me.

4.) Suggestions on a good amp to power the fronts and the sub... and also can the rears be run off the stock HU power?

Thanks for the info...

Later,
Jeff in Houston

------------------
* 2001 F-150 XLT SC Silver FS; 4.6L
* 4x4 ORP
* Sport Package
* 3.55 Limited Slip Rear Differential
* Electronic 4-Spd Auto O/D with Electronic Shift on the Fly
* Remote Keyless Entry
* Sport Cloth Captain's Chairs
* Toff spray-in liner (black)
* Westin factory nerf bars (black)
* Xtreme Window tint
* "Premium" Sound System - yeah right... maybe "premium" compared to a Tandy Rat Shack system

Old 04-04-2001, 01:06 PM
I answered this over at Club Knowledge, but I'll recap here.

Go with what sounded best to you. If you want a sub, you can add up to 10s without giving up any foot room.

If you want to stay with what you have, just replace the factory equip., then go with what sounded good without a sub.

One thing to consider is that the sales rep is probably getting bonuses right now from DA, so is trying to steer you that way instead of BA. Listen to your ears, not the blabbering of the sales rep.

Old 04-04-2001, 03:02 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Tray:
I answered this over at Club Knowledge, but I'll recap here.

Go with what sounded best to you. If you want a sub, you can add up to 10s without giving up any foot room.

If you want to stay with what you have, just replace the factory equip., then go with what sounded good without a sub.

One thing to consider is that the sales rep is probably getting bonuses right now from DA, so is trying to steer you that way instead of BA. Listen to your ears, not the blabbering of the sales rep.
</font>

Hey there, BT....

Yeah thanks for answering in both places... I've been doing lots of cross-posting to get as much feedback as possible. Just to clarify, the sales rep really wasn't pushing me one way or the other that I could tell... I just know that I liked the "fuller" sound of the DAs (silk tweeter and more midbass) compared to the aluminum tweeter highs of the somewhat midbass-lacking BAs. My only thoughts are in concern to what I do if a sub is not going to be in my system.

Thanks for the info,
Jeff in Houston

Old 04-04-2001, 04:37 PM
Stop right there.

You've just answered yourself. If you like the sound of the DA's better, go with them.

From my experience, if you get something that sounds good without a sub, it will only sound better when adding a sub. If you were listening with a sub as well, you should try them both without the sub input. If you were listening without a sub, go with the sound you liked best.

I love the sound of silk compared to aluminum, but would always want people to listen for themselves, as their tastes may differ. But from what you've said thus far, you should go with the DA's that you liked.

Quick Reply: Boston Acoustics 6.5, which amp, which other speakers?