Where should I install the crossovers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2000, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where should I install the crossovers?

I bought a set of Boston Acoustic Rally 6.5" component speakers today.

I plan on installing the woofers in the same place as the stock speakers, and using those adapters you can buy from autotoys.com to make it fit. I plan on installing the tweeters, surface/angle mounted, on the triangle pieces at the top of the door panels behind the mirrors. I'm installing the amp (150W x 2) for the speakers under the driver seat (using line-level inputs).

I would like to know where is the best place to install the crossovers for each speaker set. Is there adequate room behind the door panel? Should I install them next to the amp under the seats (not preferred because of all the extra wire I'd need to run)?

I'm basically looking to make this install as easy as can be.

Also, would you recommend putting Dynamat on the doors? Does it make a really noticable difference for the price? Isn't there something similar to that already in the doors?

p.s. I'm using the stock head unit/CD changer and rear speakers.

Thanks.

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT 4x4 SC/SB 4.6L, Auto., 3.55LS, TTP, blah, blah, blah
All the info is at http://www.fordf150.net
Now with How-To Articles!

[This message has been edited by Kelly (edited 05-13-2000).]

Old 05-14-2000, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put my crossovers in the door and mounted them to the side impact beam.
See pics for other install details.

------------------
Truck Pictures

99 XLT 5.4L Regular Cab 4x2 120" Wheelbase 4 wheel disc brakes/ABS 5 star larait style wheels Toreador Red/Silver 3.55 gears 255/70/16 OWL Delta toolbox, Ford Running Boards, Ventshades, Bugflector, Bullrings, Donnelly compass mirror, 2" Rear drop.
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers w/tweeters mounted flush in the door panels (excellent sound)powered by a Sherwood 35x2 RMS amp
Kicker ZR360 for the 2 Audiobahn AWC10 subs
regcab54@sc.rr.com

Old 05-14-2000, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I'd mount the crossovers in the door. There is probably enough room to install them near the door handle. If you have power windows and locks, there is enough room to put them under the control panel.

If you interested in Dynamat, check out the link in my signature, or on my site. This product is a slightly thinner, but a lot less expensive. I got the free sample in and immediately ordered 100 sq. ft. It looks real good and for the price I plan on installing two or three layers in trouble spots and will still come out cheaper than Dynamat.

My order should arrive with free shipping tomorrow and I will install this weekend. If you are interested, let me know and I'll give you the details on the installation and how I like the product afterwards.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab Black factory stepbars Flareside Sport Package Oxford White Full tint - all windows. Bug Shield CD player 17" wheels, K&N Air Filter Ford Soft Tonneau Cover Gibson Super Truck "Did it myself" Undercoating Herculiner

Stereo Mods:
Clarion Pro Audio SRC5752s mounted in the front, tweeters mounted above arm rests.
Kenwood KFC-577Cs mounted in the rear doors.
All speakers installed with baffles behind them.
Great sound deadening product on order- 100sq. ft to do entire truck.
"Freak on a Leash"

If you've ever purchased online, please visit my new site and post your experience: Online purchasing experiences good and bad.

Click here to get a FREE Sample of the best Sound Dampening Product Ever!

Quick Reply: Where should I install the crossovers?