Box Differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Box Differences

There is probably a thread already out there abou this, but I haven't found it yet.

I was wondering what the difference was between MDF boxes and regualer plywood boxes?

And also, difference between ported and enclosed?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyd88
There is probably a thread already out there abou this, but I haven't found it yet.

I was wondering what the difference was between MDF boxes and regualer plywood boxes?
As far as I know, pretty much the only difference is weight (I think MDF is a little lighter), and you couldn't put woodstain MDF. I mean, you COULD, but it would look funny. Oh yeah, and MDF is cheaper, I think. MDF = medium density fiberboard. Basically (from my understanding -- correct me if I'm wrong), it's just super-compressed sawdust/"wood fibers". Go here if you really want to know what MDF is. Plywood is obviously thin sheets of wood glued together. Think of it as toilet paper; you get 2- and 3-ply toilet paper, where it's basically multiple thin sheets of paper stuck together for more durability and comfort. This allows for more comfort when wiping, as well as extra protection against your hands getting messy due to rips in the paper.

And also, difference between ported and enclosed?
They are what they say -- one has a hole allowing air to flow in and out of the box (which has to be precisely calculated -- not easy unless you know exactly what you are doing) and one keeps air enclosed, making no flow. Enclosed boxes usually have a tighter sound (i.e., cleaner bass hits), while ported is usually a little louder, and more bassy/boomy. In my opinion, enclosed works better for stuff like rock music where you have rifts and stuff like that, and ported is better for rap where it's usually a slower beat (so being tight isn't as important, because there aren't as many bass beats per minute as in a rock/metal songs). Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Also, just found this in another site. Didn't read it all the way through, but it seems to re-iterate what i just said:

Hi Trevor,

Choosing between a ported or sealed box is usually a matter of personal preference, as both will offer advantages and disadvantages. I can tell you that the Energy rep that I spoke to recommends using their subwoofers in a sealed box, however that's not to say you should rule out a ported box. I'll go over some of the advantages and disadvantages of each to help you make a decision.

While a sealed box will usually take up less room in your trunk, it will not have as much overall output as a ported box will. That's not necessarily a bad thing - not everyone wants or needs a lot of bass. The advantage to a sealed box is that its natural frequency response will be much flatter than that of a ported box, which translates into better sound quality. Ported boxes are tuned to a certain frequency, so there will be more output at and around that frequency. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, but the overall frequency response of a portd box will not be as smooth as the sealed box.

Another advantage to a sealed box is that the trapped air behind the subwoofer cone acts a cushion to restrict cone movement. This means that the likeliness of the sub over-excurting (moving in and out too far) is slim to none. That cushion of air also helps with transient response, which is basically the ability of the sub/box combo to react quickly to the input signal. This means heavy-hitting instruments like a kick drum will sound more natural and have more impact. A ported box suffers from something called group delay, which denotes the time it takes for the port in the box to react to the movement of the subwoofer. In most cases this effect is tolerable, and doesn't affect sound quality too much unless the box is excessively large.

To sum in up in short, a ported box will be louder, but a sealed box will sound better. Ideally, for a subwoofer like the Energy ENC10 or ENC12 I would recommend a custom-built enclosure. You can talk to an installer at your local Future Shop for more details, but I can tell you that a custom box that is built and tuned properly for your subwoofer will make all the difference. This is especially important when considering a ported box. While the prefab models we carry are built well, the ported enclosures aren't tuned for any specific subwoofer. Since every sub is built differently, it's pretty much impossible to build a box that is optimal for every one of them. For this reason, I think a custom-built sealed enclosure would be your best bet.

I hope this information was helpful! Feel free to ask me any more questions in this thread, or via PM. Take care!

Brandon Insley
Mobile Install Lead Technician
Future Shop Store #620
Brantford, Ontario

Old 03-28-2008, 11:15 AM
yea. ive always wondered what the difference was between the two. i already have a sub/box combo, and was just wondering if i should upgrade to a MDF box later on. but my kickers sound good enough for me, and hande all types of music beautifully.

thanks GrifN

Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Quite welcome. Yeah, nothing special about MDF. If you are building your own box, I would go with MDF. But there is no reason to scrap a plywood box for an MDF box. Although, my post made me think -- maybe, instead of being like everyone else and wrapping my box in carpet, MAYBE I could go the plywood route and round the edges and corners and whatnot and then thrown some polyurethane on there. That would look pretty classy/unique, no? You don't see that much... hmmm... **puts on pondering face**

Old 03-28-2008, 11:35 AM
thats not a half bad idea. i really didnt feel like messing with building a box, so i went and got a custom fit one for under my rear seat. i have a pic in my gallery.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:58 AM
thats not a half bad idea. i really didnt feel like messing with building a box, so i went and got a custom fit one for under my rear seat. i have a pic in my gallery.
Yeah, I'm on a budget and I'm putting in "so many" speakers (4) that not as many people make a box for me. So I would end up paying out the butt for a box if I bought a pre-fab one. So I figured I might as well think about a more unique way to build/finish a box if I'm going to do it myself... The only problem with polyurethaning a box is that you have to basically make the outside flawless -- being that polyurethane is clear, you can't just cover it up and expect not to see it like you can with carpet.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
so you are putting 4 subs in the back of your truck!? i have to hear them once you get them in. what kinda truck do you have by the way??

Old 03-28-2008, 12:53 PM
so you are putting 4 subs in the back of your truck!? i have to hear them once you get them in. what kinda truck do you have by the way??
LOL. That's the plan. Pretty similar truck to you, looks like -- '99 F150 Xcab. But mine is the Lariat edition with the Triton 5.4. Planning on 4 8"s; it'll be a squeeze.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:01 PM
yea it will be, but i think you will be able to work it out, although getting all 4 in the box might be fun....lots of measuring might be in order. let me know how it goes for you. hit me up with a video once you get it all in working order.

good luck!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Definitely. In a perfect world, I'd like to put these in before I head to France for the summer (doing Study Abroad, 2.5 months studying in France, classes 4 days a week, with 3-day weekends every week to travel around Western Europe). I'm leaving May 10, so I gotta get on it!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Plywood flexes to much, will resonate more easily, leaks air, and will fall apart 100 times more easily than MDF.

In short, plywood is NOT a good material to make a sub box out of.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Touche. Wasn't aware of all that. Looks like I wont be doing that then...

Old 03-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Plywood flexes to much, will resonate more easily, leaks air, and will fall apart 100 times more easily than MDF.

In short, plywood is NOT a good material to make a sub box out of.
yea im not really sure exactly what my box is made out of...i was just guessing its plywood, but by your description of it, mine isnt made of it...

Old 03-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is what MDF looks like....

As opposed to regular commercial plywood.

Quick Reply: Box Differences