wireing for ohms

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wireing for ohms

I have a 2 ohm sub with dual voice coils. I've looked a few places and it's showing me how to make it run 1 ohm and 4 ohm but is there a way to make it produce a 2 ohm load to a mono amp?

The onlky thing I've found said to only run one voice coil. Would this be safe? And if it's safe would this cut the speakers sound, quality, and/or power handling in half or something else?

I'd run it at 1 ohm if I knew that my amp would take it. But I'm not sure my JBL CS300.1 would handle it.

Thanks

Last edited by Jolly_Green_Giant; 09-18-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
I have a 2 ohm sub with dual voice coils. I've looked a few places and it's showing me how to make it run 1 ohm and 4 ohm but is there a way to make it produce a 2 ohm load to a mono amp?

The onlky thing I've found said to only run one voice coil. Would this be safe? And if it's safe would this cut the speakers sound, quality, and/or power handling in half or something else?

I'd run it at 1 ohm if I knew that my amp would take it. But I'm not sure my JBL CS300.1 would handle it.

Thanks
you cant run just one voice coil. you have to run it at either 1 ohm or 4 ohm. if you had another woofer you could run them both together at a single 2 ohm load.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:05 PM
You can run them single coil, however it does cut their power handeling in half so if the speakers was rated to handle 800 rms it is now only 400rms.

Read through this and make your own decision

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID~74640~PN~1

Old 09-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll hook it up as single and as 4 ohm and see which I like best. I havn't seen anything that says I can't run just one and several places that say to do that if that ohm is needed.

My know my amp will run at 2 and 4 ohms. But I've read some reviews that say that this amp's watts drop drasticly at 4 ohms.

Maybe run it on one voice coil and then if it blows I'll have a backup. LOL j/k

Here's another thought. The amp has terminals for two subs. Would it make a difference if I hooked each voice coil to it's own terminal on the amp?

Last edited by Jolly_Green_Giant; 09-18-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

it has two channels? you can bridge the channels, then it should put out a ton more power at 4 ohms. check on your amp's bridged power ratings.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
it has two channels? you can bridge the channels, then it should put out a ton more power at 4 ohms. check on your amp's bridged power ratings.

It just has two positives and two negatives for one channel so you dont have to shove two big wires into one hole

When you use only one coil your T/S paramaters are WAY different than if you were using two of them, which can wack things out quite a bit, not to mention the main things is that it changes your needed box specs, and you only have half the power rating.

If your speaker is 300wrms, then it is 150wrms PER coil. If you plan to run just one coil on that amp, you will be sending double that coils rated power to it, which could be bad if your not sure what your doing.

Personally I would use both coils unless you have the epuipment to figure out the speakers specs if its only running one coil, and can from there get a correct box figured out, or can find that info somewhere else.

You might be fine, or you might F your sub up so bad from overpowering and a totaly wacked out way off box that you wished you wouldnt a dun dat

Old 09-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant

Thanks
Run it at 4ohms.

Quick Reply: wireing for ohms