F150Truck'in Audio System Upgrade Underway..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really would consider getting rid of the vents, you hardly even notice the pressure and what not. When I had my 4 12's and my 2 15's (before mat) the rattling was the most annoying thing ever. So when pat and I edeaded my truck he asked me if i wanted them and before i could finishing saying yes he had already smashed them with a hammer. I don't regret it at all and would do it again in a heart beat.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jwool15
I really would consider getting rid of the vents, you hardly even notice the pressure and what not. When I had my 4 12's and my 2 15's (before mat) the rattling was the most annoying thing ever. So when pat and I edeaded my truck he asked me if i wanted them and before i could finishing saying yes he had already smashed them with a hammer. I don't regret it at all and would do it again in a heart beat.
I still can't bring myself to destroy them, I did try one time to take one out and see what can be done to it, but the bed is to close for it to clear and come out....
I'm still giving it more thought on doing something with them, if I do take them out what did you guys do with the hole, I mean sound deadener is just that, its not a sealant to keep water and rodents out...

Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM
I had to do a few other things this evening so really didn't work on my system, but did just finish getting the Cal25 Tweeter pods ready..

Cal25 tweeters don't fit in them all the way, so... I drilled the back out of the front plate with a 1 1/4" hole saw and got my buddy Mr. Dreimal out and what do you know, they fit like a glove now....

Made a retainer bracket and some hot melt, ready to install....

Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F150Truck'in
I still can't bring myself to destroy them, I did try one time to take one out and see what can be done to it, but the bed is to close for it to clear and come out....
I'm still giving it more thought on doing something with them, if I do take them out what did you guys do with the hole, I mean sound deadener is just that, its not a sealant to keep water and rodents out...

I had to take a pair of pliers and twist off the little turned up water catch things at the bottom...I just went out and grabbed one out of the shop...

Its still in one peice so you could put it back in if you wanted, but if its really wet you might end up with water inside since it doesnt have the little cups to catch the water anymore.

The rubber on them is flimsy anyway, they probably get a fair amount of water inside the cab with the little cups anyway.
I didnt even think twice about taking them out. Hell they came out before anything even went in.
Here is how I covered mine.

I just happened to have an old computer case laying around that worked great. Hell, its thicker than the factory sheet metal, and I used gobs of silicone. It may not be pretty but it works.

Those cab vents are more of a pita than good if you ask me. Even if I didnt have a stereo of any kind I would take them out.

Two side affects that I have noticed that Im assuming are due to the lack of cab vents though. When my blower fan is on any speed higher than 2, and my windows are up, I get a little 'leaking' noise in the upper rear corner of my drivers side window. Not a huge deal for me though...my fan is usually never higher than 1, or else my windows are down 60 percent of the time.

The other one is it seems like the doors doent close to great. I cant remember if they were like that before I took the vents out or not. It might just be that the seals are still a little poofy from being a fairly new truck, or maybe all that air pressure stuck in the cab doesnt let them close great.
I just have to slam em a lil harder because they will only latch on the first click instead of shut all the way if you just barely push em shut.

I can live with those two problems compared to the benifits I get though.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Its wierd that your Cal25s didnt fit right either

Mine fit in exactley like in your pics. It looks like yours has a raised portion on the back though. Mine are completley flat on the back side of the tweeter.
Wonder what the difference is...

Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Its wierd that your Cal25s didnt fit right either

Mine fit in exactley like in your pics. It looks like yours has a raised portion on the back though. Mine are completley flat on the back side of the tweeter.
Wonder what the difference is...
Are yours the newer VOF's, that would be the only differance I can think of..

Mind are here... the part sticking out is the magnet housing..

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...=17&art=231436

Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I had to take a pair of pliers and twist off the little turned up water catch things at the bottom...I just went out and grabbed one out of the shop...

Its still in one peice so you could put it back in if you wanted, but if its really wet you might end up with water inside since it doesnt have the little cups to catch the water anymore.

The rubber on them is flimsy anyway, they probably get a fair amount of water inside the cab with the little cups anyway.
I didnt even think twice about taking them out. Hell they came out before anything even went in.
Here is how I covered mine.

I just happened to have an old computer case laying around that worked great. Hell, its thicker than the factory sheet metal, and I used gobs of silicone. It may not be pretty but it works.

Those cab vents are more of a pita than good if you ask me. Even if I didnt have a stereo of any kind I would take them out.

Two side affects that I have noticed that Im assuming are due to the lack of cab vents though. When my blower fan is on any speed higher than 2, and my windows are up, I get a little 'leaking' noise in the upper rear corner of my drivers side window. Not a huge deal for me though...my fan is usually never higher than 1, or else my windows are down 60 percent of the time.

The other one is it seems like the doors doent close to great. I cant remember if they were like that before I took the vents out or not. It might just be that the seals are still a little poofy from being a fairly new truck, or maybe all that air pressure stuck in the cab doesnt let them close great.
I just have to slam em a lil harder because they will only latch on the first click instead of shut all the way if you just barely push em shut.

I can live with those two problems compared to the benifits I get though.
See, thats what I keep going back to is the heat and A/C, last week it was a 100 here and 104 one day, with humidity near the same, my A/C runs on max and fan wide open, hell I wish it had a 5 and 6 fan setting... I'm not really happy with A/C intil its blowing ice cubes out the vents

Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by F150Truck'in
Are yours the newer VOF's, that would be the only differance I can think of..

Mind are here... the part sticking out is the magnet housing..

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products...=17&art=231436

That would be the difference. My ProfiVandi set is a few years old.
Fak, I dont even know wtf VOF is supposed to be.

See, thats what I keep going back to is the heat and A/C, last week it was a 100 here and 104 one day, with humidity near the same, my A/C runs on max and fan wide open, hell I wish it had a 5 and 6 fan setting... I'm not really happy with A/C intil its blowing ice cubes out the vents
Haha, that could be a problem. With your truck being a few years old maybe it has developed a few different holes/leaks to relieve any pressure. I have heard that with no cab vents and the fan on high you can feel the pressure difference in the cab too.
Be a man, roll the windows down The one or two times Ive used the AC in my truck was rather dissapointing anyway...rather shoddy cooling if you ask me.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about just taking one out. it would limit the rattling and what not, but fix all the problems about not having them. i couldnt deal without my A/C down here in florida. one day during this summer i just left the A/C going on full blast and actually got it to the point in my truck that i could see my breath.

there has to be a way to keep the best of both worlds.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Midnight05
what about just taking one out. it would limit the rattling and what not, but fix all the problems about not having them. i couldnt deal without my A/C down here in florida. one day during this summer i just left the A/C going on full blast and actually got it to the point in my truck that i could see my breath.

there has to be a way to keep the best of both worlds.

That would be a good idea. Better than two of them...and better than none if you arent willing to get rid of them all.

I might use the AC every so often if I was in Flordia too
The humidity is a bish down there. Of course any time I was there it around this time of the year (July/Aug)
I have to laugh at a couple relatives of mine though. They are from Tampa FL and usually come to Nebraska in the summer for a break and a little heat relief. Even they are bishing about the humidity here this year though
More humidity than we are used too.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Ok...since I may have gotten a little off topic with that last post...here is thread RE-railer...

TWEETERS

SUBWOOFERS

CAB VENTS

Ok, we're back on topic now.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice recovery!! but seriously, the humidity and heat this time of year SUCKS!!!!!! i think taking just one vent out might be worth it. heck, if i redo my box this year i might just do it.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, I'm going to leave the vents in, I just can't bring myself to take them out knowing it will restrict my A/C air flow.... can't do it.... its not the greatest A/C system to start with, so its needs all the help it can get....

I did get the IDQ6's in this evening, good thing they are on 1/4" baffles or magnets would rub the glass.... but a 1/4" is a mile in speaker fitting, plenty of clearance.... LOL

Next is the tweeter pods, maybe tomorrow, maybe not, suppose to break a old record for heat here tomorrow... after working in it all day and getting home in the A/C, its real hard for me to stick my head out that door again.... LOL

Old 08-15-2007, 10:46 PM
The sound is going to come out sideways

Not to shabby though . Is that Ensolite, or what do you have for (closed cell Im assuming) foam there?

Be a man, go work on that thing tomorrow hehe
I was *****in around with mine earlier today, sweating like a bish in there though when I had it all closed up at times. Stained the damn seats!

Or drive it through the front wall of the house...you get to work on the truck in the cool AC, PLUS you get insurance money

Old 08-15-2007, 10:57 PM
The sound is going to come out sideways

I planned it that way... LOL

Not to shabby though . Is that Ensolite, or what do you have for (closed cell Im assuming) foam there?

Be a man, go work on that thing tomorrow hehe
I was *****in around with mine earlier today, sweating like a bish in there though when I had it all closed up at times. Stained the damn seats!

Or drive it through the front wall of the house...you get to work on the truck in the cool AC, PLUS you get insurance money
Yeah, it eDead V4 Ensolite over eDead v1SE2, it helps cut the road noise, so they say....

Quick Reply: F150Truck'in Audio System Upgrade Underway..