Tweeter mounting? OTHER than stock location...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tweeter mounting? OTHER than stock location...

So Im sure you've all heard me bish at least once about how I hate the factory tweeter location due to its less than desirable sound stage effects (sound stage too low). Today I decided that 'Gawdanngit Imma do somthing about this bs' so after 45 minutes of sitting in the truck and looking around...I have nothing.

I have numerous mounting cups (angled, flush, etc) for the tweeters that Ive played around with, and actually found some spots that would work dang good with a few of those mounting cups, but they would require that I drill/cut holes in the door panels of my 1 year old 30K dollar truck
Not to excited about that. Not scared that Ill screw it up, more so that I will never be able to put it back to stock w/o gaping holes in the door panel:o I just cant bring myself to whip out the Dremel and go to town on it.

I thought about screwing one of the angled cups to the stock speaker grill down where the mid is, but it angles it WAY to far straight up, and not enough to the other side. Im a little less concerned about drilling into the speaker grill.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, anyone have any pics of what they may have done or any ideas that dont require me making huge holes anywhere?? Im hungover and out of ideas

Its always been in the back of my mind to do a little fiberglass work on the speaker grilles and make an angled tweeter mounting place on the upper portion of the grille. I have never done fiberglass so Im not to sure how that would turn out lol. I have a buddy that is a body man so he might be able to help me though.

So, short of buying new door panels that I can drill into (unless someone knows where I can get some door panels cheap ), anybody have any ideas or input??

All I want is a higher soundstage with a little more depth, is that to much to ask for :cryingsmiliehere:

Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you thought about trying the stock location, but using a swivle cup mount? I know the three sets of Memphis Mclass components that i had in the front of my 03 screw all came with flush/swivle mounts.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the same boat, I want to move my Cal25 to the sail panel (top of door panel behind door mirror) or "A" pillow or maybe even on the dash..

I also found some surface mount pods for Cal25 in the Rainbow product catalog that would set on the dash and maybe could bring the wire inbetween the "A" pillow and edge of dash and double side tape the pod..

I'm really leaning to the sail panel and keep my eye out for some cheap hole filler tweeters incase I sell my truck later on down the road....

I was looking today and got a idea maybe with a surface angle mount on the edge of the sail panel above the deforst vent for the door glass, could be mounted with 3M tape and wire wrapped around the edge of the panel.... no holes at all like that....

Old 07-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by FordScrew24's
Have you thought about trying the stock location, but using a swivle cup mount? I know the three sets of Memphis Mclass components that i had in the front of my 03 screw all came with flush/swivle mounts.

Only thing is I dont know that they make swivel mount cups that will fit my tweets. Even then there isnt much room between the tweeter and the factory speaker grill. Heck, the tweeter is darn near smashed up against the back side of the grille as it is

Originally Posted by F150Truck'in
I'm in the same boat, I want to move my Cal25 to the sail panel (top of door panel behind door mirror) or "A" pillow or maybe even on the dash..

I also found some surface mount pods for Cal25 in the Rainbow product catalog that would set on the dash and maybe could bring the wire inbetween the "A" pillow and edge of dash and double side tape the pod..

I'm really leaning to the sail panel and keep my eye out for some cheap hole filler tweeters incase I sell my truck later on down the road....

I was looking today and got a idea maybe with a surface angle mount on the edge of the sail panel above the deforst vent for the door glass, could be mounted with 3M tape and wire wrapped around the edge of the panel.... no holes at all like that....

I also noticed that the sail panels in these trucks are the PERFECT place for tweeters. One set of angled mounts that came with my tweets would angle them exactley where I want if I used them on the sails.

I believe I know what these 'surface mount pods' you are talking about are. I have a set of them and I also noticed they would work great on the A pillar. They have a more 'severe' angle so to say, and with the angle on the A pillar trim that faces forward/towards the windshield it would aim the tweets darn near to the oposite sides headrest, which would work pretty well.

I played around with the idea of mounting them on the back edge of the sail panel also. I figured I could mount one of those 'surface pod' things to the actual defrost vent and run the wire through there too. I was worried about them being kind of in the way and vulnerable to getting hit there though. Every once in awhile I get the urge to have a smoke and that is right where I ash out the window...Id probably end up knocking it off or something

We think alike

Old 07-29-2007, 08:11 PM
What brand tweeters are you using? Tweeters only or component set?

Do the flush mounts offer any ability to angle/swivle the tweet?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:42 PM
DRJ
If you have a 2wd (or don't mind changing the 4wd switch) you can take out the coin holder and the 12v plug that are sitting next to the center trim. I'ts tricky to get the 12v off but once you do it your 1" tweeters will fit SWEETLY into that spot, and they look factory. I'll take pics and post later. If you upgrade your door speakers you should have a sweet setup.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 PM
DRJ
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...cfm?gnum=10135
Go to my gallery to check 'em out

Last edited by DRJ; 07-29-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by FordScrew24's
What brand tweeters are you using? Tweeters only or component set?

Do the flush mounts offer any ability to angle/swivle the tweet?

CAL 25s from my old Rainbow set...
Nothing that I can swivel around to my own desired angle. Only a couple angled cups...

DRJ, thats quite the idea, never seen anyone do that before. Unfortunatley, Im too **** about my soundstage and that wouldnt give me what I was looking for:o

Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 AM
DRJ
Yeah, that's why I was mentioning about the door speakers, if you can get the speakers to aim properly at you head with one of those HU with the built in sound tuner it'd be perfect...I still got tweeking to do

Last edited by DRJ; 07-30-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 AM
hmm i know you didnt want to cut anything, but ill post any way. i put my tweeters in the pillers. have the tweeters so far away and so wide in the truck helps with imaging and making the front sound stage sound much bigger than it really is. if your looking for a higher/deeper sound stage, this is where you should moun them.

some things to consider: you shouldnt have the tweeters face you, the best thing is to have them point twords the windshield so it can reflect off and then its harder to localize where the sound is coming from.

same thing goes for you mid bass speakers, you should point them where you want the sound to come from. for my mids, i made some fiberglass speaker pods that bolt right up to the door. i made them with a slight upward angle, just to lift the sound stage up a little bit.

when i take my door pannels off to do some sound deadining ill take some better pictures of the speaker pods. its hard to tell the angle in the pictures, its very mild.

lol and excuse the dirtyness of the truck, im working on my under the seat box for my 2 12"s

Last edited by v0lc0m85; 07-30-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 AM
wheres a good place to mount some tweets in the back?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 AM
well personaly im not using any rear speakers, but if you were to do them. id say on the door panel, flush them in right below the window, as far forward as they will go.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:33 PM
If you really care about imaging, you wouldn't use the door location for the mids. However, for vehicle interiors the best way to find the optimum location is by trial and error. Get double sided foam sticky tape and try tons of different mounting locations. TRIAL AND ERROR is the answer.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by v0lc0m85
some things to consider: you shouldnt have the tweeters face you, the best thing is to have them point twords the windshield so it can reflect off and then its harder to localize where the sound is coming from.

same thing goes for you mid bass speakers, you should point them where you want the sound to come from. for my mids, i made some fiberglass speaker pods that bolt right up to the door. i made them with a slight upward angle, just to lift the sound stage up a little bit.

A properly set up placement for drivers and you shouldnt be able to locate them even if they are facing you. I can set everything up good enough that you dont know where any speaker is. Some people like shooting into the windshield but that is the last thing I want to do. Reflections are your worst enemy when it comes to a good sound stage...not to mention the harshness off the windshield. Just not how I want to do it.

I do like your angled mids though. I wanted to add an agle to my mid baffles somewhat like that but didnt have the tools to do it. Not a major deal though.
Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted by torqueaholic
If you really care about imaging, you wouldn't use the door location for the mids. However, for vehicle interiors the best way to find the optimum location is by trial and error. Get double sided foam sticky tape and try tons of different mounting locations. TRIAL AND ERROR is the answer.
The door where a great location for me. I dont trust people enough to be sticking my 500 dollar mids in kick panels. The door provided a dang solid baffle with a chunk of MDF on it, not to mention you can seal it up pretty good.
Driver aiming isnt as important with a driver playing under about 2k Hz anyway...proper phasing is more of a concern. Granted, I do have the mids crossed over a little higher than 2k Hz, but my tweets play a lot more of that range that is crucial to proper aiming so Im a little more concerned with aiming them right than the mids.

I know what Im doing and how to set the stuff up...Im just asking for ideas on how to mount my tweeters w/o making holes or anything I cant undo .....

Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 PM
I still kinda like the sail panel idea with surface mounts or angled surface mounts. You would still have to drill some smallish holes though.

Quick Reply: Tweeter mounting? OTHER than stock location...