Unique Install question on screw

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unique Install question on screw

Hi all !!!,

I’ve been trolling these forums ever since I traded my 2000 4x4 scab Lariat on a 2006 4x4 Lariat Screw two weeks ago. I have a question on a possible subwoofer install. I could have sworn I saw at one point a photo where someone installed a subwoofer BEHIND the rear seat of an 04-06 screw. I love all the floor space back there when the seat is folded up so I do NOT want a sub UNDER the rear seat. I just can not find that photo for the life of me now. I am giving more thought into this installation option now and wanted to confirm that a 6-10” sub driver could be located back there. I also wanted to converse with anyone familiar with this sort of installation option.

To give a little background on myself….I am a cell engineer at Lucent Technologies by day. As a hobby and an additional source of income my buddy and I design, integrate and optimize Home Theaters. I also build custom computers and subwoofers. Oh yeah, and this :
http://www.mustangii.org/gallery/RobertSzewczyk/

So, in closing, can a shallow sub driver be installed behind the rear seat of an 04-06 screw? If so, anyone have any advice/input on this installation?

Thanks SO much in advance,
Robert

Old 09-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I can't help with your question but welcome to the site. I am sure someone will help out.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms8
Hi all !!!,

I’ve been trolling these forums ever since I traded my 2000 4x4 scab Lariat on a 2006 4x4 Lariat Screw two weeks ago. I have a question on a possible subwoofer install. I could have sworn I saw at one point a photo where someone installed a subwoofer BEHIND the rear seat of an 04-06 screw. I love all the floor space back there when the seat is folded up so I do NOT want a sub UNDER the rear seat. I just can not find that photo for the life of me now. I am giving more thought into this installation option now and wanted to confirm that a 6-10” sub driver could be located back there. I also wanted to converse with anyone familiar with this sort of installation option.

To give a little background on myself….I am a cell engineer at Lucent Technologies by day. As a hobby and an additional source of income my buddy and I design, integrate and optimize Home Theaters. I also build custom computers and subwoofers. Oh yeah, and this :
http://www.mustangii.org/gallery/RobertSzewczyk/

So, in closing, can a shallow sub driver be installed behind the rear seat of an 04-06 screw? If so, anyone have any advice/input on this installation?

Thanks SO much in advance,
Robert

You probably could have installed a sub behind the rear seat of your 2000, but I'm pretty sure even a pioneer shallow mount sub wouldn't fit behind the seat of your '06. If you figure out a way to do it, unless you cut up the back of the seat, it won't sound very good anyway. you've got about 2 - 3 inches (maybe 4) back there, which isn't enough for a typical subwoofer and an enclosure.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:04 AM
theres a post from yesterday that says check out my pics and he has a screw with 8's or 10's behind the rear set... hope this helps

Old 09-15-2006, 11:15 AM
energizedsbs:

That is an 03 screw. Not an apple to apple comparison, but thanks for the info.

dmitt30:
Given the wavelength of freqs below 60Hz, You can pretty much mount a sub anywhere with any number of obstructions and you will still get the bass. Example: Ever feel & hear the bass of a sub in a ricer that pulls up next to you ? His subs are in his car with the windows up, and you in your vehicle with windows up. Can't get much more obstructed than that.

The only issue is space. Is there enough space in the cavity behind the rear seat cushion to mount a small (6-8") shallow sub driver?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
energizedsbs:

That is an 03 screw. Not an apple to apple comparison, but thanks for the info.

dmitt30:
Given the wavelength of freqs below 60Hz, You can pretty much mount a sub anywhere with any number of obstructions and you will still get the bass. Example: Ever feel & hear the bass of a sub in a ricer that pulls up next to you ? His subs are in his car with the windows up, and you in your vehicle with windows up. Can't get much more obstructed than that.

The only issue is space. Is there enough space in the cavity behind the rear seat cushion to mount a small (6-8") shallow sub driver?

I was referering to the sub slapping the back of the seat causing it to not sound good.. I'm well aware of the fact that low frequencies are for the most part non-directional.

If you're looking for a 6" to 8" woofer, you might be in luck! I have actually heard of something like that. It comes in its own enclosure and it has a built-in amp. Someone on this forum has one. I'll do a little research and get back to you.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by dmitt30
I was referering to the sub slapping the back of the seat causing it to not sound good.. I'm well aware of the fact that low frequencies are for the most part non-directional.

If you're looking for a 6" to 8" woofer, you might be in luck! I have actually heard of something like that. It comes in its own enclosure and it has a built-in amp. Someone on this forum has one. I'll do a little research and get back to you.

Yeah,
I’m not trying to enter any sound off competitions or anything, so an 8”, even a pair of 6” sub drivers would be just fine for the cabin of a truck. It’s doesn’t have to compress my chest, just fill in the lower octaves.

I just ran across some pics of 04-06 screws with the back seat removed and it really is shallow. So I started to think it may not be possible. If you think you have an idea, then by all means THNAK YOU ;-).

Robert

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2006, 02:25 PM
A few months ago I installed a large amp and crossovers behind my seat in an 06 Screw and it was tight. The amp is about 2" thick mounted on a 3/4 MDF board. If you could find a narrow enough sub what about building a thin/wide box and face it toward the rear wall of the cab using a spacer of sorts. Just use some Dynamat or equiv. to deaden up the back wall. just a thought. Welcome and good luck.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:53 AM
Ok, I found it. Although, I've read some reviews on it, and it doesn't sound like many people are happy with it. Dunno, you make the call, but here it is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SQsubi8...V303&id=review

Hope this helps

Don

Old 09-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
i agree could be done in 01-03 screws but from what ive seen not a possibility on the 04+ screws or any cab configuration, i think reg cab has the most space behind the seats...
-Patrick

Old 09-17-2006, 06:10 PM
EW_
It is very tight behind the seats in 04-07 F150 supercrews. If you have a power slider, you have even less room. Amps barely fit.

Quick Reply: Unique Install question on screw