2001 supercrew sub, amp & box

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 supercrew sub, amp & box

hey, im new to all this car audio stuff so help me out, i have a 2001 f150 supercrew. i want to install 2 10" subs. im thinking either kicker cvr's or two L5 solo baric's. i have looked into the pre-built box's but i dont like how each sub is on one side, wouldnt that be noticable in the sound? i can build my own box being a carpenter but i duno where to put it, under the seats or behind the seats? also if you have any sub and amp recomendations for me? i have a $500 budget for amp and sub's.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:53 AM
If your subwoofer(s) is tuned right, i.e. set to only play the frequencies it was intended to play, the sound it produces should be non-directional. Meaning it doesn't matter where it is. Therefore having only one doesn't affect sound. Two subs just equals more output, or decibels. Unless you hook them up to a two channel amp in stereo mode, in which case, each sub will play bass respectively, but not many people do this anymore as hardly any music has bass frequencies recorded in stereo.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crashryan20
hey, im new to all this car audio stuff so help me out, i have a 2001 f150 supercrew. i want to install 2 10" subs. im thinking either kicker cvr's or two L5 solo baric's. i have looked into the pre-built box's but i dont like how each sub is on one side, wouldnt that be noticable in the sound? i can build my own box being a carpenter but i duno where to put it, under the seats or behind the seats? also if you have any sub and amp recomendations for me? i have a $500 budget for amp and sub's.
Sometimes you can notice where the bass is coming from....just depends.
I would build your box too, since you are a carpenter you most likely have the tools and some good woodworking skills to make a nice one, a good home made box is almost always better than some prefab box...

Under the seats is the most common place, I have seen someone put them behind the back seat, in the little storage compartment. It was totally 'glassed in so it could take advangage of every bit of airspace back there, and it was actually a pretty nice little thing. If you were to make a wooden box and put it in the storage area I dont know how much space you would have though..

Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 PM
thanx for the help, i have a couple more questions. amps are more important right? since i can afford a high end sub and a cheap amp would that make teh sound quality bad? or should i stick to a 10 or 12 sub with a 300 -400 rms rating with a sub thats 400 rms max? im not looking for some bass that will rattle everything like crazy i just want it to hit harder then stock and get a little vibration throught the cab.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally Posted by crashryan20
thanx for the help, i have a couple more questions. amps are more important right? since i can afford a high end sub and a cheap amp would that make teh sound quality bad? or should i stick to a 10 or 12 sub with a 300 -400 rms rating with a sub thats 400 rms max? im not looking for some bass that will rattle everything like crazy i just want it to hit harder then stock and get a little vibration throught the cab.

I think that there are too many variables to give you a GOOD answer. If I had enough money to get an awesome sub, I wouldn't want a cheap amp to power it. Since you're not looking to impress the guy five cars up at a stop light, then maybe you should get a mid-level sub and a mid-level amp.

Here's some food for thought: Since I was too lazy to build my own box for this truck (which will change in the near future) I found a company that sells empty MTX thunderform enclosures (that way you can put your own sub in it). I bought one and put in a really nice Adire Audio Shiva. Well, long story short the subs (I had 2) were bad (my fault from a previous vehicle install). So to tide me over till I get a good SQ sub, I found a JBL GTO12something-or-other. It was cheap, and I just needed something. But to be perfectly honest, I'm really impressed with it. It's a shallow mount, so it fits under the seat in even the new SCrews, it was only 100 bucks, but you can probably find one cheaper than that (it was an impulse buy). As far as amps go, I'd recommend you don't cheap out here. Good quality amps will outlast the vehicles you put them in. I have two soundstream rubicon amps that I've had for years and years, I use them daily like I stole them, and they're still awesome amps. Companies I can recommend that make good quality mid-grade amps are: Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Diamond Audio, and MTX. Personally I'd go with diamond out of that list, just because you'll probably get more for your money, but Rockford's are built like sherman tanks, so either way...

Anyway, hope all this helps you a bit.

Don

Old 09-08-2006, 01:31 AM

Quick Reply: 2001 supercrew sub, amp & box