Replacing stock speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing stock speakers?

I got an '06 F-150 Texas Edition recently, and the speakers don't provide as much power or punch as I would have hoped. Does replacing the speakers create a significant gain in sound quality? Also, what brand would be recommended?
I also plan on adding a sub sometime in the future.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Hinopio
I got an '06 F-150 Texas Edition recently, and the speakers don't provide as much power or punch as I would have hoped. Does replacing the speakers create a significant gain in sound quality? Also, what brand would be recommended?
I also plan on adding a sub sometime in the future.
No it won't add much. If the new speakers have a significant higher efficiency rating it will be a little better though. Problem with a piece meal system a little at a time is at some point you know what you want for an end result and your first few purchases will be in vain. I would hunt around forums and good audio shops And get ideas and something to save for. I'm a big believer in the total system install if it's good sound you are after. Even lower end Audio works better if you match the right components of a complete system. If you buy any used equipment try to get it from a shop, friend or a long time member on a forum like this one. Nobody that has been here long would mis represent an item on purpose and would stand behind their sale. Used can be a GREAT deal because the guy with disposable income is always raising the bar on himself. 30 days after a purchase most are already thinking what could be better. Audio shops depend on this guy because he has to go to them at some point when the bar gets high enough...and you get the spoils...cheap. Don't believe every thing you hear in a big box store for sure. I hear mis-information being exchanged all the time and bite my tongue.
You can do it, just know where your bar CAN be and mis some notches.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Component system?

Would it be a better idea to maybe go for a component system, then? Maybe buy a nice sub first, then get some mid-range speakers and tweeters? Or are you recommending getting the 5x7s and a sub at the same time?

Old 05-08-2006, 12:46 AM
get a new headunit as well if you want a big increase in sound quality.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:56 PM
A general rule of thumb:

signal starts at the source, cheap source cheap signal, everything down the line works off of this signal.

speakers are the voice of the system and provide the sound quality(good and bad)

amplifier (or radio power) provides the volume of the system

low bass requires both a sub and amplifier.

decide which one you need and thats where you want to start.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 PM
While I understand what RkyMtn is saying, I think its perfectly fine to buy the parts to a system and add on as you go.
But I do think you need to plan out what you want, and get a real good idea of what you want to install (down to the specific amps, speakers, etc). Then you can start figuring out what to buy first.

As has already been said, I would start at the head unit, especially if you plan on running components.
What I would not suggest is buying "temporary" solutions. Dont waste your money buying equipment that is better than stock but wont end up in your final system...

My $.02

Old 05-10-2006, 08:42 PM
It all depends on what you want to do. A couple of weeks ago I got a 2006 F150 Supercrew and was very displeased with the sound quality of the head unit. I did a little research and replaced the front speakers with a pair of Memphis audio 5x7's. Much mo better now - a much cleaner sound. The head unit is not the greatest in the world, but the POS Chinese junk $2 throw in factory speakers make the sound 10x worse.

Now if you want power you gotta junk the head unit and throw around some money. Just replacing the factory speakers won't do it.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 AM
My System

After buying my new truck,my wallet felt the heat. Here's what I did over a period of three or so months.
I replaced the stock door speakers with 5X7 Pioneer coaxials. Definite improvement. Great little speaker for little money.
Added a Memphis 10 inch sub in an AE enclosure and Memphis amp.
Replaced the HU with a Kenwood. Awesome. Everything came together at that point!
Total cost, including installation: 620 bucks.
The system rocks and sounds wonderful. Really clean.
Good luck!

Old 05-11-2006, 04:28 PM
I would add that in reference to audio, general statements are almost always unreliable. A generalization simply saying aftermarket speakers will be an improvement can be wrong. However, unless you buy those 6000 WATT 5x7s at the fleamarket for $19.99, most any decent aftermarket speakers WILL improve clarity and detail, even with the stock HU. They may not be any louder, but will be "cleaner". There is a difference. But, in my humble opinion, unless someone can be happy with low to mid volume at very average sound quality levels, the stock HU should be canned ASAP, and properly matched speakers, subs, and amps added. There is no other way to get true high quality, high volume sound with the "pop" and "slam" that is present in the real thing. Making it sound like live music should be the objective. I understand that sometimes we can't afford all this at once, but at least plan ahead by buying equipment that will work correctly with future purchases and will give you a system that will do what you want it to.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:16 PM
I agree with all of this so far. I am doing mine piece by piece, and have done headunit and speakers. This made very little difference, but I think my problem is the low end. I'm gonna get an amp soon and a sub to go with it.

--If you know how the music sounds by heart...I mean EVERY NOTE, than listen to see if all the Bass notes from the keyboards, drums, and bass guitar make the speakers give a cracking/static sound. Same for drumset cymbals. If the speakers "crack" at the time those notes are played (at least in my theory, to be proven right or wrong when I get the $$$ for my amp and sub), than you are not getting enough power to the high end beacuse the tweeters are making a futile effort to hit the lows.

BUT REMEMBER... This is all my theory. Those who have done this know better, and I would appriciate it if one of em could inform me as to the relative correctness of my drawn-out theory.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Question Sound

So is it safe to say that if i wanted a "noticeable" improvement, i could hit my local best buy and grab a good 4 channel amp and upgrade the factory speakers and be o.k.? (key word noticeable improvement) and keep the head unit?

Old 06-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Yeah, but it'll be a noticeable improvement even w/o the 4 channel amp. If you are watching your wallet, do the speakers first, add the amp if it isn't enough, but I expect you will be suprised how much of an improvement will be had by just replacing your 'wizzers'

Old 06-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Are the supercrew guys putting the subwoofer under the back seat (on the floor)?

Old 06-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by jetdriver1
Are the supercrew guys putting the subwoofer under the back seat (on the floor)?
i did....

Old 06-02-2006, 09:06 AM
were you able to find something that fit? (no seat raise)....I really dont think i need the full thump of large speakers, just want to get better sound with amp, better door speakers, add tweets and put small sub under the seat

Quick Reply: Replacing stock speakers?