Speaker reccomendations..

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker reccomendations..

I have an 04 XLT Reg Cab. I might be looking to swap out my factory speakers to aftermarket. I would normally do the Alpine thing. But I want to look further outside of Alpine and see what else is out there. I have factory MP3/6cd headunit. I just installed my amp and 10" sub yesterday. I dont really want to put in another amp for the compnents.

What speakers should I get for the front so that i dont need to install another amp. Basically I need a speaker that would fit just nicely with the factory wattage that the cd6/mp3 puts out. I think it is non audiophile but not sure how to tell. Thanks

Matt

Old 11-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Crutchfield has a great buy on Alpine Type R SPR-574A. It's a 5x7 that normally sells for $200/pair, on sale for $69.99. It has the correct sensitivity to work fine with a HU as the amplification. If you were to buy a better speaker than this Alpine, you wouldn't be able to appreciate what it has to offer without an external amp. In other words, this Alpine will sound as good as anything with that HU as the sole amplification.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:10 PM
If you don't amplify the speakers, it doesn't matter which brand you buy they are not going to sound that much better than stock ones.

--Matt

Old 11-07-2005, 12:48 AM
I agree...no need to upgrade your speakers if you're not going to add an amp to push them. Plus, your keeping your stock HU...keep the stock speakers.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about changing out the stock speakers either without amplification. You'd be better off to replace the stock HU, that would make a much biggger difference in SQ.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 AM
i havent taken the door panel off yet but are there tweeters normally in an 04 XLT Reg cab. I can see where one would be but I havent had time to look any further..

Old 11-08-2005, 01:09 PM
I installed Type R components in my truck and they sound incredible. Replaced a set of Inifinity Kappas which I thought were good speakers until the tweeters rusted off of them. And that was the second set of Kappas I had. Definitely want to amplify these speakers. However, I must say, I am running a set of 5X7 Pioneers straight off of my Alpine headunit and they keep up with the fronts. I have installed many radios/ speakers in vehicles and Alpine has yet to disappoint me.

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2005, 06:41 PM
No disrespect intended, but I think it's absurd to say that upgrading from stock speakers is useless unless using a dedicated amp. While little or no gain will be seen in "loudness", the clarity and detail that is gained from this simple swap is tremendous, especially with a speaker like the Alpine Type R 2-way that was mentioned. Because of the fact it doesn't need a lot of power. Yes, they will perform at another level with good amplification, but they will blow away stock speakers any day in the SQ department, even with the stock HU.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Not to disagree with the others but Boston Acoustics makes great speakers, that sound really good at low power levels, like that coming from your stock HU. However they sound fantastic amplified.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
oh yes, Bostons

I got a pair of boston components 6.5" on the door and a pair of boston SL80 for the back in my Lightning and they rock
I am pushing these with my JL 300/4
with the Alpine IVA-d901 with NVE-852A (Navigation)
Sorry.........no pix yet.......
pending money tree to grow faster to buy a better digital camera......

Old 11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah I have had no problems with Alpine in the past. At one point I had all Alpine in my 00 Grand Am GT and they sounded great. Are the speakers 5x7's in the front door as well. And cant he Metra adapters be used to make them 6.5's. Also is there any tweeters in the front door of ALL F150's? Mine is an 04 XLT Reg Cab. just havent had time to pull off the door panel.

I know that in order to get the full effect of the aftermarket speakers I would have to amplify them but I just dont want to go through the hassle of hooking another amp up. But the only thing I am interested in is replacing stock speakers front and back to get better SQ..

Thanks for all the help guys.

Matt

Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 97f250
No disrespect intended, but I think it's absurd to say that upgrading from stock speakers is useless unless using a dedicated amp. While little or no gain will be seen in "loudness", the clarity and detail that is gained from this simple swap is tremendous, especially with a speaker like the Alpine Type R 2-way that was mentioned. Because of the fact it doesn't need a lot of power. Yes, they will perform at another level with good amplification, but they will blow away stock speakers any day in the SQ department, even with the stock HU.
^listen to the man.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks Guys,

I just ordered two sets of the Alpine Type R's for my SCrew from Crutchfield. Should be here early next week. I think it will make a good addition to my 10" Kicker musicmoose box.

Quick Reply: Speaker reccomendations..