JL Audio VS MTX Subs

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL Audio VS MTX Subs

I have a 2003 Screw and have started my stereo upgrade project. I have an Alpine TDM-7582 Cassette Receiver so that I can use the adapter for my iPod and XM2Go radio. Then I upgraded my speakers to Infinity Kappa 52.7i 5-1/4" 2-way Speakers for the front and Audiobahn 2050N 5-1/4" 2-way in the rear. I am looking at adding an Alpine MRV-F450 to power the speakers and either a MTX T-Form with a 10" sub or the JL Audio Stealthbox that fits in the center console. Has anyone used either of these products or any other subs recommened?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
I have heard that the console sub doesn't sound that good mainly because its right next to you and sub sound waves need to travel a bit to sound right. If you have 4 buckets and get the one that fits in the rear console, should sound great. Maybe someone with a center console sub will read this and let us know about the sound quality. Any of the under the rear seat sub boxes by JL or MTX will sound great, as the air space is matched to the sub perfectly. You can also go to www.supercrewsound.com or www.subbox.net or www.probox.com and look through all of the F150 supercrew boxes, most are under the rear seat, Subbox.net does have a "behind the rear seat" dual 10" box (which I have). They list the total air space and some even sell subs. If you go this route, pay attention to what subs you buy, as you will have to match the subs to the box... i.e. sub mounting depth, air space needed per sub. Good luck.

Last edited by rockafella; 06-08-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:29 AM
If you're looking at a subwoofer enclosure I cannot recommend Music Moose Audio enough! Excellent service and lightning fast transaction and shipping, I ordered the box for my truck Tuesday morning and it's scheduled for arrival tomorrow, and I've only heard good things about the quality of their products, but I'll have to wait for my personal opinion.

As for the MTX Thunderform, I ran one in my single cab for about 7 months, it was pretty nice but I don't think the sound quality and performance match up with the high price. (I paid nearly 300 dollars for mine!) I was actually dissapointed with the thunderform, but maybe someone else has had a better experience with them....

Old 06-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MTX

Old 06-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Sound Off Audio makes awesome boxes as well for your truck.

http://www.soundoffaudio.com

I had a thunderform with to JL Audio 8w0s and I was very pleased. This was under the rear seat of a 97 f150 supercab.

I'm doing it over in my 05 and going with a soundoff box and two kicker cvr82 8" subwoofers. Should pound quite a bit harder than the previous install.

Last edited by f150intally; 06-09-2005 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: JL Audio VS MTX Subs