2-12" Kicker L7's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2-12" Kicker L7's?

I have 2 - 12" kicker L7's out of my other ride i'd love to make fit in my 2001 supercab.
Ideally i would like to have them fit snug under the rear seat without too much protrusion into the "foot" area.
I've seen that rear bench lift's are available, but havn't seen any boxes for this application with the recomended airspace of 0.88/sub.
Any opinions or ideas on making this work or if im just waisting my time are welcome.

Old 03-25-2005, 03:14 AM
If the seat spacers give you enough room then make the box since it's not available.

How much space does the additional spacing give you total volume?
Does it say on the company that you looking into's website

Old 03-25-2005, 03:43 AM
seat lifts are readily available in 2, 3, and 4". The only person that rides in the back is my dog, so shrinking the head room is not a huge issue. Still not sure I want to remove a full 4" of headspace though.

most pre-made boxes are listing volumes in the .55 to .70 range without a seat lift.

I have quite a bit of carpenter experience ( as well as the tools to do it), but have never built a box so am doubting i want to spend a lot of time building something that wont sound or fit well.

the last box that housed these subs was made with 1" mdf and from what the local guys are saying i'll need a stout box to keep the amp/sub combo inline.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Do a search under moose suboxes, Ive seen out there a box with a mount depth of 6.5 inches for 12's. They also match your carpet and include the seat lifts with the box. I found mine on Ebay.

Ive only got a set of 10's. Also pioneer makes a good 12 sub with an inverted magnet that only requires 3 to 4 inches mount depth. Audio express carrys them but I think its like $280 a sub.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:19 AM
yeah, i contacted moose audio and asked about having a box built for the subs and that raising the seat wasnt a problem for me. Their reply was simply "we can't make a box for those subs". Now i'm sort of determined to make em work. I figure if these guys can build a sub box with .70 ft3 per side and no seat lift, raising the seat should yield the 0.18 to .30 needed.
I took these out of my last ride and had an xtant 1000.1 pushin them with 1.0 3ft volume and they flat out pounded. I was really hoping to achieve a similar set up in this truck. So the quest goes on... lol

Old 03-26-2005, 08:57 AM
are you looking at firing up or down? Firing down, the box will have to protrude out a ways just to house the driver. I was looking at building a down firing box for a 10" and it would have to sit at least flush.

to get max volume from a box, it would have to be custome contoured to the humps and the seat brackets, which takes more time and effort.

where do you plan on putting the amps?

Old 03-26-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm thinking i'll fire em down. That would help protect them from people and objects in the back. There is a pretty decent hump in the middle, i figured if i built the box straight off that it would provide the clearance the sub needs for protrusion. It actually looked as if the kicker custom grills are about the same depth as the hump is high, so those might work out just right.

I realize its goin to eat up some height, and that a 3 or 4" seat lift will be required.

as for the amp placement, thats another thing all together. I have a 400.4 xtant that barely fits under the passanger seat. The 1000.1 doesnt even come close. I'm taking serious measurments today to see how realistic it is that i can include a slight recess in the middle of the box for the amp. As for the jack and bracketry back there, I have no problem with flat out removing it permanently

Old 03-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, 2 12" L7's under the seat is gonna be tricky. Since your dog only rides back there, how about totaly ripping out the back seat and making a sub box that you sit on. I did that, same amount of headroom as stock, and I got 1.85 cu.ft. per sub(for 2 12"'s) Its a little uncomfy right now, but once I get a cushion on there it will be all good.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I have a R/T box (sealed, 1.0 ft3 ea side,1"mdf) that the subs were mounted in prior and it just barely fits where the larger seat folds up. thing is, there's just no hiding that the box is there and totally negates the ability for someone to sit back there. then there is the thought of a sometimes rambunctious dog and realitively unprotected speakers.

I just did some rough calc's on boxycad and a 49" long x 14" wide x 9.5" tall divided box with the seat bracket cut out, made from 1" gives me 1.0 cuft each side. from the center hump to the bottom of the seats (folded down) i have 7.5", so a 2" lift would be tight, a 3" lift would give me some room to play. with a small recess maybe i can squeeze in a spot to mount the amp on top of the box. the seats are barely 12" deep, so the box would stick out a little more than 2" into the foot area.

My next question is how important is the location of the box volume relative to the speaker. most conventional boxes have the box volume located centrally behind the sub. I'm just wondering if i'll loose "punchie-ness" with this type of sub box, and if maybe increasing or decreasing the size some would help that.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Well I took the seat out, built the box, installed the speakers and set the box in place. the fit was fine, but I just didn't like the way the speakers sounded in that box, so... I'm tossin the box, putting the L7's back in the original box I had for them and off to ebay they go.
In their place is a new pair of JL 10" 3v2 D2's, which should fit nicely in any of the box's currently being sold for this truck. I'm still installing a small seat lift to accomodate mounting space for the amp's on the top side of the box.

and the moral of the story is, sometimes you can fit 10lbs of stuff into a 5lb sack, but that doesnt mean you'll be happier in the end.... lol

Quick Reply: 2-12" Kicker L7's?